Drug test at Legal Aid Society NYC Internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drug test at Legal Aid Society NYC Internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Topic title pretty much says it. Starting an internship at legal aid society NYC this summer, would like to know if I should stop smoking the reefer.

Would welcome personal experience, hearsay, high fives from fellow smokers, admonitions from nay-sayers who think pot is bad.

Anonymous User

Re: Drug test at Legal Aid Society NYC Internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 8:36 pm

LA doesnt test. *High Five* ...plus if they do test its prob. too late to stop now, so might as well pack a bowl.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Isn't that like a clinic where you give people free advice? I highly doubt they drug test. I am curious though...would a Biglaw SA job drugtest?

Here's some credible? stats on Marijuana testing. See the chart at bottom for extra detail.

http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm

it may not be too late for you to stop. Some people I know can't stop. My friend can't and he failed the Cali bar twice. He should probably take in Colorado.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 pm

OP here, thanks for the helpful tip first poster! to answer second poster's question, legal aid society provides free legal services for indigent folks. Like a public defender but not a government job, they do a little better of a job than PDs, in theory.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 pm

:roll:

Just stop.

And a substantive answer...I know people who have had hair tested for jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 pm

blurbz wrote::roll:

Just stop.

And a substantive answer...I know people who have had hair tested for jobs.

thanks for the general advice! I'm hoping someone who has worked for them in NY can give me a definitive answer.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Purely anecdotal, but a bro of mine got denied an SA because of a drug test. Granted it was for blow, but still. I've smoked my fair share of weed but gave it up when I started interviewing for lawl jobs. It's not worth it in my mind. Then again, I just started drinking more.

Do you know if you will definitely be getting drug tested?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Purely anecdotal, but a bro of mine got denied an SA because of a drug test. Granted it was for blow, but still. I've smoked my fair share of weed but gave it up when I started interviewing for lawl jobs. It's not worth it in my mind. Then again, I just started drinking more.

Do you know if you will definitely be getting drug tested?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking to see if anyone knows. My instinct is they won't test, since they're not paying me, and its not like they have tons of money for things like that. But I do agree, I should probably just go easy until it starts to be sure.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 pm

i worked for them last summer, and i LOLed at the idea that they would waste money on that. i think it is the least of their worries. i don't smoke so the thought never even crossed my mind until now.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 am

Didn't in SF. SDNY doesn't either. Legal Aid would never test unless there's some kind of statutory provision. I'd hit WestLaw if I were you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 12, 2012 5:12 pm

hey friends, thanks for the info. Sounds like they probably won't test, but I'm gonna go easy anyway. For health reasons or whatever. Good luck with finals if you're not done yet!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 pm

Just wondering if anybody has any update on this? Specifically the original poster. Has anybody been drug tested at the legal aid society for either a job or internship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering if anybody has any update on this? Specifically the original poster. Has anybody been drug tested at the legal aid society for either a job or internship?

Spoke to a few friends who interned at LAS and they all said no drug test.

Return to “Legal Employment”