Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Wed May 09, 2012 2:02 pm

I noticed that CLS and NYU place very small numbers into Chicago. I am assuming that most of this is self selection. But, can any current/former CLS/NYU people comment on this? Do people who want Chicago get it? How many Chicago firms come to OCI? If a firm has an office in Chicago, can you interview with them at OCI and just specify that you are interested in their Chicago office? If you only wanted Chicago, would you choose NU over CLS/NYU?

Thank you in advance for your insights.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Do you have ties to chicago?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Not just self selection. If you want Chicago you should have went to NU or CHI--its a HUGE deal in Chicago. No a guy who transferred from a non-NU/Chi school to Columbia and bid all Chicago and struck out b/c he was constantly questioned about the fact that he left and wanted to go back....Not saying there isn't a chance--especially if you have ties, good work experience, and good grades (probably top 1/3....but remember non all Chi and NU kids get what they want in Chi and the NU kids all have work experience....I would have a backup plan!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not just self selection. If you want Chicago you should have went to NU or CHI--its a HUGE deal in Chicago. No a guy who transferred from a non-NU/Chi school to Columbia and bid all Chicago and struck out b/c he was constantly questioned about the fact that he left and wanted to go back....Not saying there isn't a chance--especially if you have ties, good work experience, and good grades (probably top 1/3....but remember non all Chi and NU kids get what they want in Chi and the NU kids all have work experience....I would have a backup plan!


Absolutely, positively untrue. I think you are at a huge advantage going to a non-chicago school. I was below median at Virginia/Penn/Berkeley school level and got callbacks at a lot of the big firms and accepted one. My friends at Michigan had a much harder time because everyone was gunning for the same firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I see why you were below median--clearly a case of ONE makes it positively untrue--OP is deciding to go to Columbia or NU as he clearly wants CHI Big Law--this is a no brainer and advice like yours will only hurt OP...

sccjnthn
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby sccjnthn » Wed May 09, 2012 5:28 pm

His one example is a lot more than your random spewings.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm

sccjnthn wrote:His one example is a lot more than your random spewings.


Not really.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 pm

I think for Chicago the following school order is best if you get top ten-percent grades (between NU, Chicago, and Columbia):

1) Chicago
2) Columbia
3) NU

If you end up at the margin (top 1/3 at NU, median at Chicago and Columbia), I think the order is more like this (assuming ties of some kind):

1) NU
2) Columbia
4) Chicago

I can't explain why NU grads do better, but I think it is because Chicago grads have a broader geographic range and NU grads are generally more focused on the city, and more local law firm alumni teach at NU as adjuncts, meaning that they will go to bat for their students. Columbia people should also be better because there are fewer trying to get there, and are kind of doing the same thing Chicago people do in applying to New York, they are rarer and likely have less competition among classmates.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Wed May 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not just self selection. If you want Chicago you should have went to NU or CHI--its a HUGE deal in Chicago. No a guy who transferred f


Dude

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I think for Chicago the following school order is best if you get top ten-percent grades (between NU, Chicago, and Columbia):

1) Chicago
2) Columbia
3) NU


K&E, Sidely, or Mayer will suck a dick to get top 10% at either three of these schools. There is no use differentiating and even if there was it would be impossible to do.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I think for Chicago the following school order is best if you get top ten-percent grades (between NU, Chicago, and Columbia):

1) Chicago
2) Columbia
3) NU


K&E, Sidely, or Mayer will suck a dick to get top 10% at either three of these schools. There is no use differentiating and even if there was it would be impossible to do.

No, dude. You just don't get it. Chicago is the best. At everything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Out of curiosity, how do you classify ties?

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I am from a neighboring state, but no real ties to Chicago.

So, most believe that NU > CLS/NYU for Chicago? Especially considering lack of ties?

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I think for Chicago the following school order is best if you get top ten-percent grades (between NU, Chicago, and Columbia):

1) Chicago
2) Columbia
3) NU


K&E, Sidely, or Mayer will suck a dick to get top 10% at either three of these schools. There is no use differentiating and even if there was it would be impossible to do.


Yeah, they are pretty close. My larger point is that NU and Columbia are probably better for Chicago than Chicago if you are looking at the zone between margin and top ten percent.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby IAFG » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not just self selection. If you want Chicago you should have went to NU or CHI--its a HUGE deal in Chicago. No a guy who transferred from a non-NU/Chi school to Columbia and bid all Chicago and struck out b/c he was constantly questioned about the fact that he left and wanted to go back....Not saying there isn't a chance--especially if you have ties, good work experience, and good grades (probably top 1/3....but remember non all Chi and NU kids get what they want in Chi and the NU kids all have work experience....I would have a backup plan!

So he went to a school out of Chicago, then transferred to another school out of Chicago, then struggled? SHOCKING but irrelevant to OP.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:I am from a neighboring state, but no real ties to Chicago.

So, most believe that NU > CLS/NYU for Chicago? Especially considering lack of ties?


I think so. But, this is assuming you get to the top 1/3. You only need top 50% at Columbia to be competitive. I don't know about NYU Chicago placement.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby IAFG » Wed May 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:I am from a neighboring state, but no real ties to Chicago.

So, most believe that NU > CLS/NYU for Chicago? Especially considering lack of ties?

What do you mean by "no real ties"? Did you grow up in Iowa, work in NY and now want to be in Chicago? Did you grow up in Indiana, go to school in Cali? I wouldn't bid primarily Chicago in either of those situations even from NU, but it just depends on the actual facts.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby bdubs » Thu May 10, 2012 1:23 pm

I think everyone is missing the point that this person is a 1L at Indiana and considering transferring to CN.

OP: I think firms might look at you funny if you transfer from a school where the top grads have a shot at Chicago, to a school that places almost entirely in NYC. If you do have an opportunity to transfer and want Chicago, you should probably shoot for Chicago or NU. Just a guess based on what i've heard though, I don't know anyone in your situation.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby keg411 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:46 pm

bdubs wrote:I think everyone is missing the point that this person is a 1L at Indiana and considering transferring to CN.

OP: I think firms might look at you funny if you transfer from a school where the top grads have a shot at Chicago, to a school that places almost entirely in NYC. If you do have an opportunity to transfer and want Chicago, you should probably shoot for Chicago or NU. Just a guess based on what i've heard though, I don't know anyone in your situation.


What OP should do is PM traekhat(?). He transferred from one of the midwest schools (Iowa?) to Northwestern and focused on Chicago. But speaking from a transfer POV, a bunch of people from Chicago-feeder schools transferred to Michigan and the ones that wanted it are all doing Chicago BigLaw. So Michigan should be an option for you. Everyone I know who wanted Chicago BigLaw got it.

OP, I did NYC, but PM me if you want more information about Michigan transfers and Chicago.

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Thank you again to everyone for their thoughts. Most appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

FWIW, there were 4 IUB transfers in the NU class of 2013 and all of them got chicago biglaw, some with offers from the very best Chicago firms. Chicago biglaw seems quite transfer friendly for NU/UChicago, not sure if that extends to UMich/CU/NYU, but only because of lack of evidence amongst my friends.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby keg411 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, there were 4 IUB transfers in the NU class of 2013 and all of them got chicago biglaw, some with offers from the very best Chicago firms. Chicago biglaw seems quite transfer friendly for NU/UChicago, not sure if that extends to UMich/CU/NYU, but only because of lack of evidence amongst my friends.


I can say for a fact, it definitely extends to Michigan. Our only IU transfer did not apply to Chicago firms, though, but people from other midwest schools (and non-midwest schools) did and had no problems.
Last edited by keg411 on Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273047
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 am

NU >>>> NYU/Columbia in Chicago unless you are at the top of the class at CU/NYU.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri May 11, 2012 10:51 am

Does anyone at the top of the class ever stay at Indiana? Ppl seem to flee Bloomington in droves.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Chicago Biglaw from NYC Schools

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri May 11, 2012 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:NU >>>> NYU/Columbia in Chicago unless you are at the top of the class at CU/NYU.


This.

I think that NU students have a leg up on pretty much anyone from the top 1/3 to top 10% because employers see them as 1) committed to Chicago, and 2) they likely have members of their employer's firm and office teach and recommend them. UChicago isn't similar unless you have great ties or a recommender because it is common for UChicago students at above median to take the V15 in NY (read Paul Weiss, DPW, and Debevoise) over the non Kirkland/Sidley offer in Chicago.

NU would be best for you, especially because you are coming from Indiana and therefore already have a demonstrated interest in the Midwest.... but NYU/Columbia would be better for you if you actually want a job-- Chicago is tough right now-- Jenner and Mayer are not what they used to be and the other non Kirkland/Sidley firms have small classes.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.