Can you do pro bono work with a gov't job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TIKITEMBO

Can you do pro bono work with a gov't job?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue May 08, 2012 1:06 pm

I've heard about people doing pro bono work through big firms. Just wondering if the same type of opportunities exist for those working in government to do pro bono work. Yes, government work is often public service and sometimes directly related to the public, but I'm saying if a person is working in non-public oriented work or wants to help with something else, is that possible in the same way as biglaw?

CyLaw

Re: Can you do pro bono work with a gov't job?

Postby CyLaw » Tue May 08, 2012 1:08 pm

At least at DOJ, it is possible. I remember seeing emails during my externship trying to recruit attorneys for some pro bono projects.

--LinkRemoved--

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue May 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Nice. I'm a 0L, so I don't know much about this. I think I've also heard of CLE (continuing legal credit?) is that relevant to pro bono work or just trainings. I'm guessing it's similiar to CEC (continuing education credits) for teachers...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:I think I've also heard of CLE (continuing legal credit?) is that relevant to pro bono work or just trainings. I'm guessing it's similiar to CEC (continuing education credits) for teachers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuing_legal_education

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

CyLaw wrote:At least at DOJ, it is possible. I remember seeing emails during my externship trying to recruit attorneys for some pro bono projects.

--LinkRemoved--

+1. AUSAs in my district do pro bono.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 pm

I wish I could. But they hit me up for $500 every year instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm

I spent some time reviewing and deciding on outside employment requests for a federal agency, and my answer would be "maybe". (I know, typically lawyer response.)

The government typically has rules/regulations that restrict what kind of outside work you can take on. Rarely does it mean you can't do anything pro bono, but depending on the government agency it may mean that you can't represent anyone pro bono or that you're limited to non-profits that don't hold any contracts with the government.

It's all going to be agency and situation specific, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”