sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby newyorker88 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:09 pm

If it was a grade sheet where you just input the grades yourself then just send them the correct one. It'll look like you just filled out the sheet incorrectly. However, if you doctored an official transcript you need to withdraw immediately. There is no plausible explanation for photoshopping or taking white out to a document.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Unitas » Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally sent a biglaw firm the wrong transcript. My overbearing parents had also asked to see my grades and I had changed two grades (nothing major) on my unofficial transcript and then scanned it and saved it to my computer and sent it to them so that they wouldn't freak out about a B-. I then accidentally used THAT file and sent it to the firm when they asked for a transcript. I haven't accepted yet. Is there anything I can tell them at this point to salvage the situation? Should I even explain or will that make it look worse? Is my only option to have to decline the offer? Obviously they will find out about the wrong transcript as soon as I accept and they get my official transcript from the school.


This is going to end well...

The only thing I can imagine you doing now is to withdraw then go to career services and make a mea culpa with an explanation to protect from C&F problems. Possibly go to career services first to see if they think you don't need to withdraw or can just correct. They'll likely suggest you withdraw.

Everyone trying to say he did an excel or his own spreadsheet need to reread the OP. It says he altered an unofficial transcript then had to scan it back in to send. Yeah, that's fraud. Saying it was nothing major is stupid and shows a lack of taking responsibility.

lsapplicant07
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby lsapplicant07 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Unitas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally sent a biglaw firm the wrong transcript. My overbearing parents had also asked to see my grades and I had changed two grades (nothing major) on my unofficial transcript and then scanned it and saved it to my computer and sent it to them so that they wouldn't freak out about a B-. I then accidentally used THAT file and sent it to the firm when they asked for a transcript. I haven't accepted yet. Is there anything I can tell them at this point to salvage the situation? Should I even explain or will that make it look worse? Is my only option to have to decline the offer? Obviously they will find out about the wrong transcript as soon as I accept and they get my official transcript from the school.


This is going to end well...

The only thing I can imagine you doing now is to withdraw then go to career services and make a mea culpa with an explanation to protect from C&F problems. Possibly go to career services first to see if they think you don't need to withdraw or can just correct. They'll likely suggest you withdraw.

Everyone trying to say he did an excel or his own spreadsheet need to reread the OP. It says he altered an unofficial transcript then had to scan it back in to send. Yeah, that's fraud. Saying it was nothing major is stupid and shows a lack of taking responsibility.


This. Also, what are the chances OP also authored the anon thread asking whether firms keep resumes on file after OCI?

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Unitas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally sent a biglaw firm the wrong transcript. My overbearing parents had also asked to see my grades and I had changed two grades (nothing major) on my unofficial transcript and then scanned it and saved it to my computer and sent it to them so that they wouldn't freak out about a B-. I then accidentally used THAT file and sent it to the firm when they asked for a transcript. I haven't accepted yet. Is there anything I can tell them at this point to salvage the situation? Should I even explain or will that make it look worse? Is my only option to have to decline the offer? Obviously they will find out about the wrong transcript as soon as I accept and they get my official transcript from the school.


This is going to end well...

The only thing I can imagine you doing now is to withdraw then go to career services and make a mea culpa with an explanation to protect from C&F problems. Possibly go to career services first to see if they think you don't need to withdraw or can just correct. They'll likely suggest you withdraw.

Everyone trying to say he did an excel or his own spreadsheet need to reread the OP. It says he altered an unofficial transcript then had to scan it back in to send. Yeah, that's fraud. Saying it was nothing major is stupid and shows a lack of taking responsibility.


Yeah, the scan thing definitely sounds bad. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt until he came back and clarified. At my school our unofficial transcript is just a form we print out and then fill in ourselves. If it was something like that, then maybe he could say he just made a mistake. But if not, I agree with you - he should withdraw and hope there are no more serious consequences

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:16 pm

is there a way to turn it around?

basically, if he lists the correct gpa on his resume there would have been very little incentive for him to lie

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:23 pm

You can always try and break into the registrar's office and steal official transcript paper, like this guy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Just withdraw. Not quite sure why people are suggesting there will still be C&F problems even after you do that, unless the bar contacts every firm you ever applied to and requests the materials you sent to them.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Mce252 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just withdraw. Not quite sure why people are suggesting there will still be C&F problems even after you do that, unless the bar contacts every firm you ever applied to and requests the materials you sent to them.


Or a recruiter with a stick up their ass notices the discrepancy and reports it. People that review resumes and transcripts all the time expect perfection and might get really irritated about something like this. Unlikely, but possible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All they did was ask. Maybe they are paying. Curious. Supportive. I don't know. Clearly they didn't do a great job if the response is to forge a document. My parents ask me about my grades among other things.


My parents ask like normal parents 'how'd you do?' and I say fine. They don't say, hey grades are out when we can be expecting a transcript from you. Even if they were paying for it, that's unacceptable.


Normal parents ask how their children how they do in school. If they have great relationship they even ask what grade their son/daughter get ?
It seems your parents do not care at about your school.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby bk1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

No more frivolous use of the anon feature. Especially not to berate/scold/attack/whatever another poster or that poster's parents.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby blurbz » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All they did was ask. Maybe they are paying. Curious. Supportive. I don't know. Clearly they didn't do a great job if the response is to forge a document. My parents ask me about my grades among other things.


My parents ask like normal parents 'how'd you do?' and I say fine. They don't say, hey grades are out when we can be expecting a transcript from you. Even if they were paying for it, that's unacceptable.


Normal parents ask how their children how they do in school. If they have great relationship they even ask what grade their son/daughter get ?
It seems your parents do not care at about your school.



I think you're misunderstanding what he said. His parents ask how he's doing. They don't ask for a transcript. You're saying that his parents obviously "do not care at about your school [sic]" because they don't ask for an official transcript?

I know my parents care about how I'm doing because they ask. But they've never once asked me for a copy of my transcript.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All they did was ask. Maybe they are paying. Curious. Supportive. I don't know. Clearly they didn't do a great job if the response is to forge a document. My parents ask me about my grades among other things.


My parents ask like normal parents 'how'd you do?' and I say fine. They don't say, hey grades are out when we can be expecting a transcript from you. Even if they were paying for it, that's unacceptable.


Normal parents ask how their children how they do in school. If they have great relationship they even ask what grade their son/daughter get ?
It seems your parents do not care at about your school.


Do your parents request transcripts from you that you have to doctor if you get a B-? Mine don't. If that means they don't care about my school then that's cool with me.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby seatown12 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm

DO NOT tell career services, or anyone else at your school, or anyone else in the world.

Withdraw from consideration at this firm no matter what other options you have or don't have. This is the worst situation I have ever read about on this site and all you can do is get the hell out of it. Nobody can ever know this happened or you're fucked. Good luck (assuming this was in fact an innocent mistake).

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Wow that really sucks...
Well, you will never forge a document again from now on

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Agent » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 pm

If I were the one receiving documents from OP, I don't think I could be convinced that he hadn't tried to mislead me. The explanation he provided in the original post sounds unprofessional and makes things even worse. I agree that it is in OP's best interest to withdraw as quietly as possible.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

This explanation doesn't pass the smell test. I don't believe you. It sounds like you doctored your transcript, fraudulently obtained a job, and then realized that they are going to see your official transcript at some point and made up a half-assed excuse.

Maybe you're telling the truth, maybe not. The point is, if I don't believe you, and I'm just some guy on the internet, why would your firm believe you, when they are looking at investing much more in you in part on the basis of your character?

I think you need to withdraw and hope nobody asks questions.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby SilverE2 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm

If his parents care about OP's transcript, they're going to care about what happened to his big fancy biglaw job offer. Sucks to be the OP.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby sunynp » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This explanation doesn't pass the smell test. I don't believe you. It sounds like you doctored your transcript, fraudulently obtained a job, and then realized that they are going to see your official transcript at some point and made up a half-assed excuse.

Maybe you're telling the truth, maybe not. The point is, if I don't believe you, and I'm just some guy on the internet, why would your firm believe you, when they are looking at investing much more in you in part on the basis of your character?

I think you need to withdraw and hope nobody asks questions.


Even if true, the story isn't convincing. OP if you do talk to the firm, don't tell them this story. I don't know what to tell them except that the transcript was wrong. I don't know what to advise you OP. You can't take a job based on them thinking your grades are different from what they actually were.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I think it's telling that 40 minutes after I posted this:

Desert Fox wrote:Was the GPA on your resume correct? Because if it was you could plausibly deny that this was intentional (who would fake a transcript with a GPA higher than what you put on your resume).

Is this for 1L or 2L summer? If 1L, then just decline and hope nobody ever notices. 20 grand ain't worth getting C&F pwnd.



This popped up: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=184441

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Danteshek » Mon May 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Asian?

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think it's telling that 40 minutes after I posted this:

Desert Fox wrote:Was the GPA on your resume correct? Because if it was you could plausibly deny that this was intentional (who would fake a transcript with a GPA higher than what you put on your resume).

Is this for 1L or 2L summer? If 1L, then just decline and hope nobody ever notices. 20 grand ain't worth getting C&F pwnd.



This popped up: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=184441


Yeah it's pretty suspicious that OP never came back to clarify anything. I don't think we got the whole story

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby PARTY » Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 pm

s/he's watching her/his dreams crash and burn.

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Systematic1 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

How do you "accidently" make this kind of mistake? I'm not buying it. And even if it is true, I'm kind of glad you made such an idiotic blunder. Serves you right for lying to your parents. At this age you need to sack up and be honest with them.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

PARTY wrote:s/he's watching her/his dreams crash and burn.

No sympathy here.

User avatar
Systematic1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: sent the wrong transcript to firm - am I screwed?

Postby Systematic1 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 pm

I wonder if this will turn into another "." thread




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.