Are ur parents jealous of ur BigLaw job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Are ur parents jealous of ur BigLaw job?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Magnificent wrote:
Kronk wrote:Honest question, is there anyone in this thread, student loans aside, that would RATHER make 160k-250k than work 70 hour, inconsistent weeks and put in work time on vacation than work 40 hour weeks, never work on weekends or vacation, and make 60k-100k?

Genuinely curious. Probably depends a bit on if you're living with ridiculous COL like in NYC or SF as opposed to near anywhere else. But I'm actually curious.

No wonder you lot are miserable on this site. I think this type of question separates those who succeed in law school from those who don't.

Did most people really choose this profession largely to make money? I just don't get it. I had concrete plans for wanting to become a lawyer and its what goals I want to accomplish that will determine whether I want the 160k job working 70 hrs vs. the 60k job working 40 hours. To me salary isn't as important as the quality of the work and what it entails for my future goals. In most cases if you are working 70 hrs a week then those are more likely to be important jobs than working just 40 hours a week in leisure.

Those who succeed in law school such as myself were probably always internally motivated to succeed and didn't look at a life of leisure as the end goal. People who succeed are motivated by greatness and being exceptional, not by eventually getting some low stress high paying job that they can slack off on the rest of their lives. No one who goes to a top law school and finishes top of their class is fazed by more hard work to continue to succeed at the top of the legal profession.

You guys need to wake up and realize that your in the wrong profession if you are whining about the workload for making 160k.

while you make a very valid point, your priorities can change as you get older. instead of putting all your energies into your personal development and career, maybe you find you would rather put them into building a family. its not that all of a sudden we all become lazy after being gunner over-achievers our whole lives, its just our priorities change. maybe we think being exceptional means spending more time with kids/family, building and keeping relationships with friends, volunteering in our community. not everyone defines 'being exceptional' as spending all night structuring some deal in order to save some fortune500 CEO millions of dollars and add to his fat bonus, or worse filling out over 300 signature pages for every single subsidiary involved in some merger.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm

IAFG wrote:My parents are not impressed with my professional success and are horrifically embarrassed about my personal life. They're also mad that I don't want an urban farm in Oregon and to name my children things like Sky or Pilar.

What's a Pilar? Lol.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 pm

booboo wrote:
IAFG wrote:My parents are not impressed with my professional success and are horrifically embarrassed about my personal life. They're also mad that I don't want an urban farm in Oregon and to name my children things like Sky or Pilar.

What's a Pilar? Lol.

EDIT - Pilar Sanders, neon-deon's ex-wife.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon May 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Im sitting here with Deon's nephew's GF. And we do not like Pilar.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Magnificent wrote:
Kronk wrote:Honest question, is there anyone in this thread, student loans aside, that would RATHER make 160k-250k than work 70 hour, inconsistent weeks and put in work time on vacation than work 40 hour weeks, never work on weekends or vacation, and make 60k-100k?

Genuinely curious. Probably depends a bit on if you're living with ridiculous COL like in NYC or SF as opposed to near anywhere else. But I'm actually curious.

No wonder you lot are miserable on this site. I think this type of question separates those who succeed in law school from those who don't.

Did most people really choose this profession largely to make money? I just don't get it. I had concrete plans for wanting to become a lawyer and its what goals I want to accomplish that will determine whether I want the 160k job working 70 hrs vs. the 60k job working 40 hours. To me salary isn't as important as the quality of the work and what it entails for my future goals. In most cases if you are working 70 hrs a week then those are more likely to be important jobs than working just 40 hours a week in leisure.

Those who succeed in law school such as myself were probably always internally motivated to succeed and didn't look at a life of leisure as the end goal. People who succeed are motivated by greatness and being exceptional, not by eventually getting some low stress high paying job that they can slack off on the rest of their lives. No one who goes to a top law school and finishes top of their class is fazed by more hard work to continue to succeed at the top of the legal profession.

You guys need to wake up and realize that your in the wrong profession if you are whining about the workload for making 160k.

these are your priorities bro and they conform with your definition of "greatness" and "being exceptional". They are by no means the only way to achieve those things. you seem like the poster boy for the type of person who wakes up one day and realizes that they have very little meaning in their life. If in the meantime, you have to shit on other people's visions of a good life, more power to you

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue May 08, 2012 12:20 am

Magnificent wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Magnificent wrote:

while you make a very valid point, your priorities can change as you get older. instead of putting all your energies into your personal development and career, maybe you find you would rather put them into building a family. its not that all of a sudden we all become lazy after being gunner over-achievers our whole lives, its just our priorities change. maybe we think being exceptional means spending more time with kids/family, building and keeping relationships with friends, volunteering in our community. not everyone defines 'being exceptional' as spending all night structuring some deal in order to save some fortune500 CEO millions of dollars and add to his fat bonus, or worse filling out over 300 signature pages for every single subsidiary involved in some merger.

I understand that wanting to have a family can change one outlook and goals BUT my point is don't complain about it after the fact. All of us know going into it what working at higher levels of this profession entails. If you are focused on family life then don't cry about firm life. Get out and find a job that conforms to what you want. If there isn't one, then tough luck. The world isn't meant to be fair.

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 am

kwais wrote:
Magnificent wrote:

these are your priorities bro and they conform with your definition of "greatness" and "being exceptional". They are by no means the only way to achieve those things. you seem like the poster boy for the type of person who wakes up one day and realizes that they have very little meaning in their life. If in the meantime, you have to shit on other people's visions of a good life, more power to you

I'm simply sick and tired of folks whining about having to work X number of hours while getting paid 160k. I could care less about salary. I choose this profession because I had a plan about what goals I wanted to accomplish in life. I then went about trying to accomplish them. If you wanted to live an easy life, have a family, etc. then you shouldn't have gone down this path.

I just know that people who graduate at the top of elite law schools are usually folks who don't fear hard work but rather embrace it.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue May 08, 2012 2:38 am

Magnificent wrote:If you wanted to live an easy life, have a family, etc. then you shouldn't have gone down this path.

Brometheus. It's law school, not superhero school.

At this rate you may well end up without a family or an easy life, but it won't be because you're caught up in the loving embrace of your hard work.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:57 am

I'm guessing Magnificent makes it 2 years in big law and realizes there is no glory then starts posting on JDU.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 08, 2012 3:08 am

Magnificent wrote:

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Tue May 08, 2012 4:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'm guessing Magnificent makes it 2 years in big law and realizes there is no glory then starts posting on JDU.

Your probably right but that's because I never planned on working in big law long term. I became a lawyer because I plan to eventually get into politics. I'll work for a couple of years in big law, make money, make connections. Then move on to government. I don't know why people choose to become lawyers if they don't even know what they want to do with their lives.

Have a plan folks. Or else your gonna end up going down a road you'll regret.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue May 08, 2012 4:20 am

Magnificent wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm guessing Magnificent makes it 2 years in big law and realizes there is no glory then starts posting on JDU.

Your probably right but that's because I never planned on working in big law long term. I became a lawyer because I plan to eventually get into politics. I'll work for a couple of years in big law, make money, make connections. Then move on to government. I don't know why people choose to become lawyers if they don't even know what they want to do with their lives.

Said the man who went into law so he could get into politics.

If you are going into big law to get into politics then you are wasting your time.

Plus there are much easier ways to get into politics than spending 150K on a law degree. It sounds like you are executing your plan in an ass-backwards fashion.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:28 am

Magnificent wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Well, at least this explains why you're so enamored with DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 7:25 am

my dad is a partner at a v20ish firm, and he still insists that he pay for our meals when we go out, and I made 185k (with bonuses) last year at a V50. Basically my father won't ever give me the respect I deserve because I am a junior associate, and I went to a CCN, not HYS like he did.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 am

My future financial situation is complicated by the fact my parents are divorced and my mother suffers from the worst case of Trust Fund Kid Syndrome (TFKS) I have ever seen. I will never have to worry about my father hitting me up for money. But my mother is a different story. One of the reasons my parents originally divorced was that my dad was sick of her being so terrible with money. She has the mentality of an impulse control challenged twelve-year-old when it comes to cash. She blew through her trust fund, had to file for bankruptcy, and has never made over 55k a year but acts like she always has cash to burn.

All of that makes me panic because she expects me to take care of her when I graduate...because god forbid that she actually be in charge of her financial affairs when she is in her late forties.

Ugh.

redskinsfan13

Postby redskinsfan13 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 am

catholicgirl wrote:My future financial situation is complicated by the fact my parents are divorced and my mother suffers from the worst case of Trust Fund Kid Syndrome (TFKS) I have ever seen. I will never have to worry about my father hitting me up for money. But my mother is a different story. One of the reasons my parents originally divorced was that my dad was sick of her being so terrible with money. She has the mentality of an impulse control challenged twelve-year-old when it comes to cash. She blew through her trust fund, had to file for bankruptcy, and has never made over 55k a year but acts like she always has cash to burn.

All of that makes me panic because she expects me to take care of her when I graduate...because god forbid that she actually be in charge of her financial affairs when she is in her late forties.

Ugh.

LOL at Catholicism

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 am

I make sure that all parental conversations about money post-law school revolve around how much money I've had to borrow and how long it'll take to pay back. That way, they feel bad about themselves for being too poor to pay my way through school and won't even consider being jealous of my mad skrilla.

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 am

Magnificent wrote:

The people who think money is a bad motivation to work in a particular profession, IMO, just dont get it. Maybe they have never gotten a big pay check. Or they've grown up rich and never wanted for anything. Who really knows.
I come from a middle class -turned poor family. I know what it is like to struggle financially- It's not fun. I'm intending to use the amazing opportunities I may have in order to become financially successful. If you want to spit on that, go ahead, but I can honestly say neither I, nor any of the other TLS'ers, care about idealist babbling.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:51 am

Magnificent wrote:
I'm simply sick and tired of folks whining about having to work X number of hours while getting paid 160k. I could care less about salary. I choose this profession because I had a plan about what goals I wanted to accomplish in life. I then went about trying to accomplish them. If you wanted to live an easy life, have a family, etc. then you shouldn't have gone down this path.

I just know that people who graduate at the top of elite law schools are usually folks who don't fear hard work but rather embrace it.

QF K-JD

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:My future financial situation is complicated by the fact my parents are divorced and my mother suffers from the worst case of Trust Fund Kid Syndrome (TFKS) I have ever seen. I will never have to worry about my father hitting me up for money. But my mother is a different story. One of the reasons my parents originally divorced was that my dad was sick of her being so terrible with money. She has the mentality of an impulse control challenged twelve-year-old when it comes to cash. She blew through her trust fund, had to file for bankruptcy, and has never made over 55k a year but acts like she always has cash to burn.

Ugh.

LOL at Catholicism

Excuse me?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue May 08, 2012 10:30 am

catholicgirl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ugh.

LOL at Catholicism

Excuse me?

Probably referring to divorce.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 am

Na_Swatch wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
f0bolous wrote:the thing with asian parents is that they're greedy and will only be happy with their children's success if the success can be attributed back to the parents. otherwise, they tend to resent their children.

Could be wrong here, but I think the point is that it's just a shitty generalization.

Wow terrible generalization and couldn't be further from the truth:

The more accurate generalization (and yes this is a slight stereotype but it tends to be true for more asian families due to whole demographic trend of immigrants/ culture/ etc.) is that Asian parents are more likely to emphasize the importance of education and focus quite a lot on their children's success.

The flip-side of this is that Asian parents are genuinely proud of their children's accomplishments. Why would they resent accomplishments if they wanted their children to succeed in the first place? You could argue that perhaps they place too much value in this, but to argue they feel resentful would be wrong for the vast majority.

haha wow, my original comment was a bit tongue in cheek, and i thought it might solicit interesting responses, but f0bulous seems to have repressed anger ;(

but if we were working on stereotypes, wouldnt ALL asian children's successes be attributable to their parents? lol. even if a kid found success in something "non-traditional," id imagine, based on my own parents, that his parents would either be a) happy for him or b) scared for him because they feel like the rug will be pulled out from under him soon because it's not 'stable' or c) a combination of the above 2.

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:38 am

Uuuuuummmmmm....I'm going to ask that we chill on the discussion of Asian stereotypes. Thanks, guys :)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 am

Magnificent wrote:

I think the main difference you have is that you seem to think people can only accomplish things in their careers. Some of us don't have the same goals as you. I'd like to send my first 5.12c this summer. I'd like to summit out on Longs Peak via the Diamond, I'd like to race well in a couple mountain bike races, I'd like to publish another story this year. I'd like to learn Walking in Memphis on my piano this week. I'd also like to have a nice career that isn't my entire life, but where I feel like I help my clients and help support my family. But I'd feel like I slacked off a bit if all I did was have a successful career. Maybe you need to give a little more effort, seeing as how you've only got one sphere locked up and all.

Return to “Legal Employment”