Are ur parents jealous of ur BigLaw job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Magnificent

Bronze

Re: Are ur parents jealous of ur BigLaw job?

Post by Magnificent » Tue May 08, 2012 12:44 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Magnificent wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm guessing Magnificent makes it 2 years in big law and realizes there is no glory then starts posting on JDU.
Your probably right but that's because I never planned on working in big law long term. I became a lawyer because I plan to eventually get into politics. I'll work for a couple of years in big law, make money, make connections. Then move on to government. I don't know why people choose to become lawyers if they don't even know what they want to do with their lives.

Have a plan folks. Or else your gonna end up going down a road you'll regret.
Said the man who went into law so he could get into politics.

If you are going into big law to get into politics then you are wasting your time.

Plus there are much easier ways to get into politics than spending 150K on a law degree. It sounds like you are executing your plan in an ass-backwards fashion.
:roll: I'm not going to get specific about what I want to do but when I say "politics" I don't mean running for office. A law degree from an elite school is a good access point into DC. I'm not planning to be a government lawyer but I do want to eventually work in policy making positions and a law degree is almost a prerequisite. I already worked in DC for some time before law school and was encouraged by many people that I worked with that a law degree would be useful in trying to attain some of the positions I want to work in long term.

So don't worry about me, I've done my homework and I actually know what I want to do with my life as well having a blueprint. You guys need to worry about yourselves because it seems you have no idea why you went to law school and are whining about how much work it will be now to make obscene amounts of money.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm

indo wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:racism
It’s cool bro. Generalizations aren’t racist if it is made by the person of that race or if the person making the generalization is “totally friends with an ____ (insert race) guy/girl”
It is racism. If you call any race as a greedy .
That's racisms. I love to racisms, bro!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue May 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Magnificent wrote:So don't worry about me, I've done my homework and I actually know what I want to do with my life as well having a blueprint. You guys need to worry about yourselves because it seems you have no idea why you went to law school and are whining about how much work it will be now to make obscene amounts of money.
This guy has to be a troll, right?

I didn't even say I wanted to make 250k working 40 hours a week. I brought up the two most likely paths (160k-250k in BigLaw vs. 70k-ish in government jobs) and asked which people would rather take. It said nothing about whether or not people have an idea of the career is like or what the requirements entail or whether or not anyone had a plan for what they wanted to do and had researched it. Pretty sure you just wanted to barge in and whip your dick out for no reason.

GL with your supersecret politics job though, bro, I'm sure it'll go swimmingly for you. If someone as antisocial as Bob Dole can get involved I figure you've got a shot, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”