First Raise in Midlaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First Raise in Midlaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 am

I'm about halfway through my first year at a smaller firm (approx 40 attorneys). I know it varies greatly firm to firm, but does anyone have any thoughts on what sort of raise I should expect? Supposedly my billing rate will increase 25% after my first year. Perhaps a 20-25% raise to keep my salary/billings ratio the same? Assume I will crush my billable hours goal and get a great review.

thesealocust

Re: First Raise in Midlaw

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 07, 2012 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote: Perhaps a 20-25% raise

Funniest thing I've ever read on TLS.

Glock

Postby Glock » Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 am

0-10%, partially depending on how much your salary is currently.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon May 07, 2012 12:48 am

thesealocust wrote:

I also lol'd

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon May 07, 2012 12:51 am

Those I know in MidLaw usually see between 5-15% with the majority concentrated in the 7-10% range. If your billing rate actually increases 25%, your bonus (if you receive one) may well see a commensurable increase.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon May 07, 2012 11:14 am

The average US COLA increase is typically around 4%, though it has reduced to 2% since the depression. Other than that, it will depend on the firm. If the firm values its employees and likes to retain its associates, they should be generous (10-15%). The average is probably around 5-7%. Still, you are in midlaw, which typically pays better bonuses than biglaw due to the lower base salary.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Mon May 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Such a dumb question for a practicing attorney to ask. How is anyone to answer that with any further information? What market are you in? What type of firm do you work for? My friend works for a med mal firm on LI and didnt get a raise after her first year. Its pretty much shit law. If thats the type of firm you work for, expect the same or maybe 4%. If you work for a boutique firm that is reputable for its practice area and has good clients, you can expect something higher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 10:56 pm

phonepro wrote:Such a dumb question for a practicing attorney to ask. How is anyone to answer that with any further information? What market are you in? What type of firm do you work for? My friend works for a med mal firm on LI and didnt get a raise after her first year. Its pretty much shit law. If thats the type of firm you work for, expect the same or maybe 4%. If you work for a boutique firm that is reputable for its practice area and has good clients, you can expect something higher.

Thank you for your tactful response. I left out further details because I wanted as many responses as possible from those with firsthand knowledge; we can agree that the amount of TLS'ers in midlaw is already limited enough.

But seriously, I appreciate the secondhand views of a 3L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Cupidity wrote:Those I know in MidLaw usually see between 5-15% with the majority concentrated in the 7-10% range. If your billing rate actually increases 25%, your bonus (if you receive one) may well see a commensurable increase.

Thanks. This is what I initially thought; but when you see how much you are billing, your mind starts to wonder from reality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I also lol'd

Not true: there are many threads that are more entertaining/hilarious than my unrealistic expectations

Return to “Legal Employment”