Tips for a 1L In-House Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
estopped

Tips for a 1L In-House Internship

Postby estopped » Sat May 05, 2012 8:43 pm

I have an in-house internship for a tech. company that I'm going to start in a few weeks. I tried searching, but couldn't find any good advice threads.

Does anyone have some good advice on 1L Summer etiquette that might be appropriate? If you have had an in-house internship, is there any advice you wish someone told you?

I will be working with 2 other summers and doing some Environmental work, IP work, and standard things like contracts.

Anonymous User

Re: Tips for a 1L In-House Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 am

I worked in-house at a tech company during my 1L summer. You'll learn a lot there. I did stuff in securities, patents, trademarks, trade, contracts, real estate, and lots of other stuff.

Dress business casual or casual (I went casual after the first day), don't wear anything too fancy since most tech companies are laid back. Be friendly. If you're dealing with people outside of the legal department, don't go all "Legal work is so sophisticated." People at many tech companies may be more goofy yet talkative than most lawyers, so you might not want to take yourself too seriously. Tech companies also tend to be a much more diverse environment than law firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Tips for a 1L In-House Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 06, 2012 3:17 am

Chill out. Show initiative - this is very important in tech companies. Be curious to learn. Be friendly. Team work.

Return to “Legal Employment”