Practice Specialities of the V15

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Practice Specialities of the V15

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 5:43 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:WLRK: Repping targets on mega M&A
S&C: Mega M&A. Cap markets.
Cravath: mega M&A, litigation
DPW: cap markets, mega M&A, FIG
Skadden: mega M&A, cap markets, litigation
Cleary: mega M&A, cap markets
Simpson: mega PE deals,cap markets
Weil: bankruptcy
Kirkland: middle market PE, bankruptcy, litigation, and IP
Covington: litigation, regulatory work (more?)
Paul Weiss: litigation, rising M&A and PE practice, growing IP practice

-Cravath's lit department is almost entirely securities lit and IP.

Antitrust is huge. As are M&A disputes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 6:00 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

-Both Cravath and DPW also do a lot of banking/finance and representing underwriters (banks) in M&A deals. Probably the best firms for this.

FYI, Banking/Finance = S&C. There are a few definite hierarchies, but that's one of them. Some more off the top of my head include:
* FIG: S&C > DPW > ...
* M&A: WLRK > S&C > Cravath > Skadden > ...
* PE: STB > K&E > ...
* Bankruptcy: Weil > ...

I don't think it's a good idea to make lists regarding appellate, because more so than other practice areas, they're individual specific. For example, I'd say Bancroft is incredible because of Paul Clement and Viet Dinh, yet the whole firm is about 20 people. Same thing with GDC (Olsen/Estrada), Wilmer (Waxman), etc.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat May 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:

-Both Cravath and DPW also do a lot of banking/finance and representing underwriters (banks) in M&A deals. Probably the best firms for this.

FYI, Banking/Finance = S&C. There are a few definite hierarchies, but that's one of them. Some more off the top of my head include:
* FIG: S&C > DPW > ...
* M&A: WLRK > S&C > Cravath > Skadden > ...
* PE: STB > K&E > ...
* Bankruptcy: Weil > ...

I don't think it's a good idea to make lists regarding appellate, because more so than other practice areas, they're individual specific. For example, I'd say Bancroft is incredible because of Paul Clement and Viet Dinh, yet the whole firm is about 20 people. Same thing with GDC (Olsen/Estrada), Wilmer (Waxman), etc.

You're really splitting hairs. And no one asked for a ranking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Since we're already sort of on the topic, I figured I'd just post this here. What are the options for an NYC v20 corporate associate typically like, assuming that you stay at the firm you're at for 4-5 years.

If you get that sort of experience, are you looking at solid exit options, almost across the board, or is it more hit and miss?

If anyone has any sort of general knowledge or anecdotes they wanna share that'd be great.

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Sat May 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Am I the only one who thinks NYC is the absolute worst place to practice law in the country. In reality your not even practicing law in NYC. Your basically doing all the grunt work that bankers would rather not do.

Why don't we actually rank firms in DC? At least they actually practice law down there.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat May 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Magnificent wrote:Am I the only one who thinks NYC is the absolute worst place to practice law in the country. In reality your not even practicing law in NYC. Your basically doing all the grunt work that bankers would rather not do.

Why don't we actually rank firms in DC? At least they actually practice law down there.

This is absolutely one of the dumbest posts I've read here. NYC lawyers practice law. Yes, junior M&A associates do grunt work, but that's because the grunt work gives you a key understanding of the process. Can you draft or turn a merger agreement? Don't think so.

Litigation-wise, there are plenty of firms in NYC that provide substantive litigation experience to juniors and that go to trial.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Magnificent wrote:Am I the only one who thinks NYC is the absolute worst place to practice law in the country. In reality your not even practicing law in NYC. Your basically doing all the grunt work that bankers would rather not do.

This is absolutely one of the dumbest posts I've read here. NYC lawyers practice law. Yes, junior M&A associates do grunt work, but that's because the grunt work gives you a key understanding of the process. Can you draft or turn a merger agreement? Don't think so.

Litigation-wise, there are plenty of firms in NYC that provide substantive litigation experience to juniors and that go to trial.

Hugh Madbro?

Reality: lawyers are bitches. The lawyers in DC do bitchwork for politicians, among others. The lawyers in NYC do bitchwork for Wall Street, bankers, and others.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat May 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

Hugh Madbro?

Reality: lawyers are bitches. The lawyers in DC do bitchwork for politicians, among others. The lawyers in NYC do bitchwork for Wall Street, bankers, and others.

I wasn't questioning the idea that this is a service industry. I was questioning the idea that NYC lawyers are somehow not doing law whereas DC lawyers are.

Ironically, a bunch of DC offices are glorified lobbying shops, but that's another topic for another day.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

Hugh Madbro?

Litigators run the show bro.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat May 05, 2012 9:26 pm

rayiner wrote:Litigators run the show bro.

tintcr, unless you're talking about prosecutors and judges

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat May 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Are there any big names in the V15 that specialize in labor and employment law?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sat May 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Lol do you realize how retarded you sound saying NY law isn't real law but DC law is. That's seriously the most fucking beta comment I've ever read in my life. I mean shit if you want to sit in your office writing briefs about some bullshit case law then go for it. But there's some people here who want to do deals and not shit thats just zero sum.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
rayiner wrote:Litigators run the show bro.

tintcr, unless you're talking about prosecutors and judges

Litigators do BATTLE. Transactional attorneys do PAPERWORK.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Lol do you realize how retarded you sound saying NY law isn't real law but DC law is. That's seriously the most fucking beta comment I've ever read in my life. I mean shit if you want to sit in your office writing briefs about some bullshit case law then go for it. But there's some people here who want to do deals and not shit thats just zero sum.

LOL @ "doing deals" as a lawyer. When you do your SA you'll understand.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

This thread is a dickwaving contest at a micropeen convention.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Lol do you realize how retarded you sound saying NY law isn't real law but DC law is. That's seriously the most fucking beta comment I've ever read in my life. I mean shit if you want to sit in your office writing briefs about some bullshit case law then go for it. But there's some people here who want to do deals and not shit thats just zero sum.

Didn't know getting schooled on by ibankers was alpha now

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:50 pm

rayiner wrote:

LOL @ "doing deals" as a lawyer. When you do your SA you'll understand.

Hey, as a first year, he'll get to pick out the colors for the closing binder!

/probably going to be a litigator
//still going to NYC

IAFG wrote:This thread is a dickwaving contest at a micropeen convention.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 pm

PMan99 wrote:

Didn't know getting schooled on by ibankers was alpha now

The I-Bankers are beta in the most literal sense of the term. They arrange mergers for CEO's for a relatively small,[1] fee and a preferred place within the rest of the hierarchy.

Alphas are guys like firefighters--people you run to when shit is literally on fire.

[1] Seriously, look up how little relative revenue the i-banking units of JPM, GS, etc, bring in. It's the traders that make the money at those outfits.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 pm

IAFG wrote:This thread is a dickwaving contest at a micropeen convention.

Rude!

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat May 05, 2012 9:57 pm

One of the more accurate posts in this thread. Not being sarcastic.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

One of the more accurate posts in this thread. Not being sarcastic.

Serious thanks :). Helps to know 2nd year corporate associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Compare years 1-3 corporate v. lit

mness

Postby mness » Sat May 05, 2012 10:13 pm

To get the thread somewhat back on track, which V15 firms (especially NY offices) are known more for litigation?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat May 05, 2012 10:20 pm

mness wrote:To get the thread somewhat back on track, which V15 firms (especially NY offices) are known more for litigation?

... you mean get this thread to repeat what was already established? Was the first page of the thread too long for you?

mness

Postby mness » Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 pm

IAFG wrote:
mness wrote:To get the thread somewhat back on track, which V15 firms (especially NY offices) are known more for litigation?

... you mean get this thread to repeat what was already established? Was the first page of the thread too long for you?

Fresh Prince's list was great, but I'm trying to solicit more opinions. Keep on douchin', though.

Return to “Legal Employment”