Bankruptcy Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bankruptcy Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For current clerks -- How much of an edge does a current bankruptcy clerk seeking a second clerkship have in the application process?

Same Anon from immediately above

I can only speak from my experience. I currently have a bankruptcy clerkship and I think it was a big plus in securing another bankruptcy clerkship at a bigger court. I think it helps show a real interest in bankruptcy and a knowledge of how a bankruptcy court operates. I will add that I also had a very good rec letter from a bankruptcy prof that really helped as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 am

Also a current bk clerk who reviewed resumes for my successor. Generally journal work didn't matter much, we looked for interest in bk/finance law and 3.5+ at a decent law school. Having externed in bk court is a plus too.

InSport

Postby InSport » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:21 am

I am currently a 2L at a T4-6 law school, and I discovered a strong interest in bankruptcy after taking Secured Transactions last semester (bankruptcy consumed a significant portion of the class). I am very seriously thinking about applying for a BK clerkship, but I don't want to leave SDNY. Of course, I know SDNY is very competitive, but I'm curious to receive some feedback on my chances.

Relevant info:
-GPA - 3.6+/-
-2L at T4-6 in NYC
-No journal (still kicking myself for not doing write-on), but I have strong work experience in finance and policy advocacy before law school
-Only BK-related class is Secured Transactions. I am going to take Bankruptcy Law in the fall of 3L year and another bankruptcy-related class in the spring of 3L year.
-Other info - my original plan was to do plaintiff-side consumer work, which is at least somewhat related. My two legal internships have been or will be with the following: (1) small consumer protection firm, and (2) government agency that does consumer protection and antitrust work.

Does anyone have a sense of my chances of at least landing a few interviews in SDNY? My biggest concerns are that I don't have journal experience and have not taken Bankruptcy Law yet.
Last edited by InSport on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 pm

InSport wrote:I am currently a 2L at a T4-6 law school, and I discovered a strong interest in bankruptcy after taking Secured Transactions last semester (bankruptcy consumed a significant portion of the class). I am very seriously thinking about applying for a BK clerkship, but I don't want to leave SDNY. Of course, I know SDNY is very competitive, but I'm curious to receive some feedback on my chances.

Relevant info:
-GPA - 3.6+/-
-2L at T4-6 in NYC
-No journal (still kicking myself for not doing write-on), but I have strong work experience in finance and policy advocacy before law school
-Only BK-related class is secured transactions. I am going to take Bankruptcy fall of 3L year and another bankruptcy-related class in the spring of 3L year.
-Other info - my original plan was to do plaintiff-side consumer work, which is at least somewhat related. My two legal internships have been or will be with the following: (1) small consumer protection firm, and (2) government agency that does consumer protection and antitrust work.

Does anyone have a sense of my chances of at least landing an interview in SDNY?

Pretty good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 pm

InSport wrote:I am currently a 2L at a T4-6 law school, and I discovered a strong interest in bankruptcy after taking Secured Transactions last semester (bankruptcy consumed a significant portion of the class). I am very seriously thinking about applying for a BK clerkship, but I don't want to leave SDNY. Of course, I know SDNY is very competitive, but I'm curious to receive some feedback on my chances.

Relevant info:
-GPA - 3.6+/-
-2L at T4-6 in NYC
-Only BK-related class is Secured Transactions. I am going to take Bankruptcy Law in the fall of 3L year and another bankruptcy-related class in the spring of 3L year.

Does anyone have a sense of my chances of at least landing a few interviews in SDNY? My biggest concerns are that I don't have journal experience and have not taken Bankruptcy Law yet.

I think the biggest concern is conveying your interest in bankruptcy law. Nothing in that resume leads me to think you have an interest in bankruptcy. Even though you can use a cover letter to explain your interest, I am skeptical of people who have not even taken bankruptcy in law school and say they are interested. If you are trying to get a SDNY bankruptcy clerkship then you have to realize all your competition can demonstrate an interest in bankruptcy through having done real bankruptcy work or being part of St. Johns LLM program in bankruptcy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Relevant info:
-GPA - 3.6+/-
-2L at T4-6 in NYC

I think the biggest concern is conveying your interest in bankruptcy law. Nothing in that resume leads me to think you have an interest in bankruptcy. Even though you can use a cover letter to explain your interest, I am skeptical of people who have not even taken bankruptcy in law school and say they are interested. If you are trying to get a SDNY bankruptcy clerkship then you have to realize all your competition can demonstrate an interest in bankruptcy through having done real bankruptcy work or being part of St. Johns LLM program in bankruptcy.

BTW, St. Johns is obviously a TTT, but judges do think pretty highly of that program. I am a bankruptcy clerk and work with 2 people who did that bankruptcy LLM and they *really* know their shit and are fantastic to work with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

There is a lot of talk in here about the desirability of career clerks, which isn't really appropriate. SDNY federal judges (bankruptcy or district) can only have ONE career clerk, unless they had a second who was grandfathered in before the hiring standards changed a few years back. After a few years as a clerk you reach a certain employment level wherein you can no longer be hired as a regular term clerk, and thus a Judge can only hire you if they don't already have a career clerk.

The St. John's Bankrupycy LLM is looked at very favorably by SDNY Bankruptcy Judges, because if nothing else it demonstrates an actual interest and familiarity with BK. I intern for an SDNY BK Judge currently and every clerk I know here either has the St. John's LLM or an otherwise demonstrably strong pre-clerkship interest in BK.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 am

Hopefully someone answers this before my interview:

So I've loved bankruptcy since I took the class fall of my 3L Year, and I did well in that class and some other related classes (unfortunately only took Sec. Trans. pass/fail, but I felt very comfortable with it). Unfortunately, my 1L year grades weren't great, and I graduated from a T-50 school with only about a 3.37. Currently barred and clerking for a state trial court judge.

I have an interview with two Bankruptcy judges coming up soon for a term starting in only a few months. Realistically, what are my chances? Are they better because of the clerkship experience (as unrelated as it might be) and because it's so late in the game?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am

Top quarter from t25 did it for me

Return to “Legal Employment”