Judicial Clerkship ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gregucla10

Judicial Clerkship ?

Postby gregucla10 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:30 pm

I apologize if this question comes across as dumb, but I was wondering how important "connections" are when it comes to securing a judicial clerkship (and by connections, I mean knowing the actual judge on a personal level)?

theaccidentalclerk

Re: Judicial Clerkship ?

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Fri May 04, 2012 4:30 pm

I mean knowing the actual judge on a personal level

I'll put it this way: Add up the time you actually spend talking to him/her in a year. Average it out since you were in high school. Not the time when you are at the same neighborhood party or whatnot, but the time actually spent engaged in face-to-face communication. If it's more than 100 minutes per year, you probably know the judge well enough for it to make a difference.

(The point is: Yes, connections can make a big difference. But people tend to to grossly overestimate how good their connections are.)

gregucla10

Re: Judicial Clerkship ?

Postby gregucla10 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd say it's less than 100 minutes per year, but both of the judges I have in mind are very close friends with my father (who's currently a criminal defense attorney).. but I guess you already answered my question - connections matter haha

Return to “Legal Employment”