getting sick/tired of prestige-obsessed profesion Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

getting sick/tired of prestige-obsessed profesion

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 pm

anyone got tips on dealing with prestige-obsessed lawyers? I'm probably going to be in this profession for at least 10 years out of necessity, and I need a way to cope. I don't like superficial people. But I have to do big law for the money (at least like 5-6 years so I can make as much money as possible before they boot me). And all I keep running into is very fickle shallow empty souls who seem to crave prestige at every corner. This is not a joke. Seeking tips to cope with this personality-type.

I almost feel desperate to have non-law friends, but I don't know where to find them at this point. Did a horrible job keeping in touch with college friends. Now I'm fucked. Mostly, I'm concerned about my own inability to force myself to like about 90% of the people in my own profession. Maybe its an acquired taste. Or maybe I'm the biggest aspie of them all. At this point, I've lost all contact with my old balanced reasonable self because I too find myself lusting prestige.

Anonymous User

Re: getting sick/tired of prestige-obsessed profesion

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone got tips on dealing with prestige-obsessed lawyers? I'm probably going to be in this profession for at least 10 years out of necessity, and I need a way to cope. I don't like superficial people. But I have to do big law for the money (at least like 5-6 years so I can make as much money as possible before they boot me). And all I keep running into is very fickle shallow empty souls who seem to crave prestige at every corner. This is not a joke. Seeking tips to cope with this personality-type.

I almost feel desperate to have non-law friends, but I don't know where to find them at this point. Did a horrible job keeping in touch with college friends. Now I'm fucked. Mostly, I'm concerned about my own inability to force myself to like about 90% of the people in my own profession. Maybe its an acquired taste. Or maybe I'm the biggest aspie of them all. At this point, I've lost all contact with my old balanced reasonable self because I too find myself lusting prestige.

Get into the club scene do lots of "party favors" in bathroom stalls... Talk about how none of your coworkers could get past the door.. Get laid a lot....

Moral to the story: If you can't beat them join them and take it to the next level...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone got tips on dealing with prestige-obsessed lawyers? I'm probably going to be in this profession for at least 10 years out of necessity, and I need a way to cope. I don't like superficial people. But I have to do big law for the money (at least like 5-6 years so I can make as much money as possible before they boot me). And all I keep running into is very fickle shallow empty souls who seem to crave prestige at every corner. This is not a joke. Seeking tips to cope with this personality-type.

Practice in a secondary market.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Please delete this post. I can't believe I wasted my time reading what you wrote. How did your random stream of consciousness become a post. #overit

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 pm

In my experience basically everybody who is part of the rich upperclass is a prestige whoring snobby full of self son of a bitch. But it still sucks that you have to work with those people

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Can you be more specific about what it is your colleagues do that bothers you? It's not easy to give advice about something as general as "dealing with a type of person."
Last edited by dixiecupdrinking on Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm

In an alternate universe another version of OP makes a different post entitled "getting sick/tired of money-obsessed profesion"...
Anonymous Poster wrote:anyone got tips on dealing with money-obsessed lawyers? I'm probably going to be in this profession for at least 10 years out of necessity, and I need a way to cope. I don't like superficial people. But I have to do big law for the prestige (at least like 5-6 years so I can be as prestigious as possible before they boot me). And all I keep running into is very fickle shallow empty souls who seem to crave money at every corner. This is not a joke. Seeking tips to cope with this personality-type.

I almost feel desperate to have non-law friends, but I don't know where to find them at this point. Did a horrible job keeping in touch with college friends. Now I'm fucked. Mostly, I'm concerned about my own inability to force myself to like about 90% of the people in my own profession. Maybe its an acquired taste. Or maybe I'm the biggest aspie of them all. At this point, I've lost all contact with my old balanced reasonable self because I too find myself lusting money.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Feeling this myself a lot lately. Just really wasn't that way where I grew up or where I went to undergrad. Vault rankings don't really make the most sense but people will take V10 over a V20 just for prestiges sake. Or law review, is anyone actually passionate about proof reading?

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Thu May 03, 2012 11:30 pm

in2win wrote:In my experience basically everybody who is part of the rich upperclass is a prestige whoring snobby full of self son of a bitch. But it still sucks that you have to work with those people
There are quite a few exceptions...I have some nice rich friends....though money does tend to ruin people, especially people who didn't work for it. I know someone whose step daddy is an actual billionaire-money to him means drugs, partying and doing absolutely nothing with his life, despite having in my opinion more than enough talent to succeed. Then you have the idiot rich-I like these the best. It is so funny to me that complete morons who have "business sense" can become somewhat wealthy. Most often this business sense is being stingy, selfish, not caring about anything but money etc. They get very angry when I step on them intellectually which by the way is quite easy...The idiot rich and the smarter rich also get mad when I show no sign of being impressed with their money. My attitude towards other people's money is quite simple-They are not going to help me with their money, so what does it have to do with me? I'll make my own money.

The legal profession is infested with smarmy bastards who think the world of themselves. However just because a person is smarmy doesn't mean they won't help you. In fact it is good for these ego driven people to think that like The Barber of Seville, they are the pimps of whatever playground they inhabit. Figarooooooooooooo!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 pm

FlanAl wrote:Feeling this myself a lot lately. Just really wasn't that way where I grew up or where I went to undergrad. Vault rankings don't really make the most sense but people will take V10 over a V20 just for prestiges sake. Or law review, is anyone actually passionate about proof reading?
Go read the article where Elie looked at no-offer rates in 2010 by Vault quartile, then tell me Vault rankings are irrelevant.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 am

Unfortunately, a lot of the people on this site seek what you don't like. You have a good plan. Be politically correct and work to get along. No one likes everybody where the work. Stick to your goal and see where you are and how you feel at the end. Be proud of what you accomplished and remember there are some lawyers who are not in the group you describe.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Fri May 04, 2012 9:13 am

Why do people assume that they are the only "real" or non-superficial person in their school/firm? This is narcissism. It's another form of the "special snowflake" syndrome. Just be yourself and stop assuming that everyone else at the firm is some prestige whore. You'll probably find a lot of other folks who are just like you and are probably assuming you're just another prestige whore. Make this your mantra: "I am not special. There are plenty others like me." It'll serve you well.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 am

eliekedourie wrote:Why do people assume that they are the only "real" or non-superficial person in their school/firm? This is narcissism. It's another form of the "special snowflake" syndrome. Just be yourself and stop assuming that everyone else at the firm is some prestige whore. You'll probably find a lot of other folks who are just like you and are probably assuming you're just another prestige whore. Make this your mantra: "I am not special. There are plenty others like me." It'll serve you well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 10:03 am

OP: If this is what occupies your mind, then your life is too easy.

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:21 am

rayiner wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:Why do people assume that they are the only "real" or non-superficial person in their school/firm? This is narcissism. It's another form of the "special snowflake" syndrome. Just be yourself and stop assuming that everyone else at the firm is some prestige whore. You'll probably find a lot of other folks who are just like you and are probably assuming you're just another prestige whore. Make this your mantra: "I am not special. There are plenty others like me." It'll serve you well.
+1. Seriously. There are plenty of "normal" people who aren't uber prestige-obsessed. Get over yourself.

emptyflare

New

Post by emptyflare » Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 am

---
Last edited by emptyflare on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 am

Not prestige-obsessed. They understand that schools is usually a signaling function to firms that the applicant is best to do the work. Unlike undergrad, those with the highest LSAT and GPA combo usually go to the highest-ranked school. Those at lower-ranked schools that get jobs are ballers in one way or another. Many clients also demand top-school grads. This is probably because they also have a simple understanding of the economics of student placement.

I don't know that many attorneys at top firms . Those that I do know don't give a care in the world where the person is from once in the law firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 am

OP: So prestigious, he doesn't care about prestige.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am

Citizen Genet wrote:OP: So prestigious, he doesn't care about prestige.
He was into prestige before it went mainstream.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri May 04, 2012 12:05 pm

OP y u mad bro? Truth is you probably aren't going to last 5-6 years anyways in biglaw HTH. Plus it sounds like you aren't at a prestigious firm so your lateral opps may be limited too.

ITT: An OP who misses out on the prestige boat bashes the prestige boat.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 pm

You know, I replied originally without reading your message. To give you an honest reply, whenever I have cynical feelings towards others, I realize it is due to self-esteem issues. I don't think you'd care if you didn't have something going on wrong in your life. Take up surfing or snowboarding or chess or boxing or comic books. Get a wife/husband. Learn a language. Do better work. I bet you'd stop caring and notice that some of those "prestige-obsessed" lawyers are nice people who have been really successful at being a lawyer and feel pride in it. I know i would if I had to sacrifice like most partners have to to move up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ninereal

New

Post by ninereal » Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Not prestige-obsessed. They understand that schools is usually a signaling function to firms that the applicant is best to do the work. Unlike undergrad, those with the highest LSAT and GPA combo usually go to the highest-ranked school. Those at lower-ranked schools that get jobs are ballers in one way or another. Many clients also demand top-school grads. This is probably because they also have a simple understanding of the economics of student placement.

I don't know that many attorneys at top firms . Those that I do know don't give a care in the world where the person is from once in the law firm.
There was a post on ATL a month or two back about choosing between Harvard and Yale, and Elie wrote about how if you say you went to Harvard Law, people will get a little gleam in their eye that says "this guy didn't go to Yale," and so everyone from Harvard feels the need to make an excuse for why they didn't get into or didn't choose Yale. That boggled my fucking mind. Like, is that actually a thing that happens anywhere? Does anyone really judge you negatively for going to HARVARD FUCKING LAW?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:42 am

ninereal wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Not prestige-obsessed. They understand that schools is usually a signaling function to firms that the applicant is best to do the work. Unlike undergrad, those with the highest LSAT and GPA combo usually go to the highest-ranked school. Those at lower-ranked schools that get jobs are ballers in one way or another. Many clients also demand top-school grads. This is probably because they also have a simple understanding of the economics of student placement.

There was a post on ATL a month or two back about choosing between Harvard and Yale, and Elie wrote about how if you say you went to Harvard Law, people will get a little gleam in their eye that says "this guy didn't go to Yale," and so everyone from Harvard feels the need to make an excuse for why they didn't get into or didn't choose Yale. That boggled my fucking mind. Like, is that actually a thing that happens anywhere? Does anyone really judge you negatively for going to HARVARD FUCKING LAW?
Dude, sit down. What the he11 do you think the answer to that question would be?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 05, 2012 12:44 am

ninereal wrote:

Elie is fucking joking. It's ATL dude.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:44 am

emptyflare wrote:
Veyron wrote:Practice in a secondary market.
This.

Way less dick-measuring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”