Unaccepting 1L summer position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unaccepting 1L summer position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 5:08 pm

So, in March I accepted a part-time position with a firm/Gov't/non-profit I'd be happy to have on my resume. Unfortunately, that position was part time, unpaid, but would allow me to get a class out of the way, work as my favorite professor's GRA, and make 2L fall a little easier.

Fast forward to today, after a miserable exam, halfway into the second bottle, I get an email from a firm/Gov't/non-profit organization that was my 1L dream position which is full time, paid, highly respected, and with an illustrious list of predecessors, who had previously told me they couldn't hire for this summer for logistical/budgetary/extenuation circumstances, though I had been their top choice if they could.

To add a little more guilt (to my conscience), the only person I've been in contact with in position #1 was recently a victim of an anonymous criminal act and is in a coma. His/Her head honcho recently contacted me saying that my presence is really anticipated with excitement given my background and ability to backfill his/her niche market, possibly turning into a 2L part time position (paid) and go from there depending on the hospital situation. (He/she was shot multiple times in the head)

For full disclosure, my GRA advisor has released me from guilt with full impunity.

Also, if you figure me out, please keep it anonymous and contact me in private.

Obviously, 1L paid positions are amazing, especially for the non-T50 I go to. What should I do? More so, if you have an opinion, how should I do it?

Re: Unaccepting 1L summer position

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

People do this all the time. Have a friend who did as a 1L and nothing went wrong.

You may burn a bridge, but it's not the end of the world.

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm

They might have some nasty words for you, but just don't take it personally. You have to do what's right for you in this case.

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:37 pm

It's one thing if you turned down a judge last minute. That can look bad on your school.

But an unpaid govt gig? You're fine.

Postby pillowpet » Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 pm

if it's unpaid and parttime, then they are probably very use to rejection. just be honest and don't stress out about

Postby Cupidity » Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 pm

But if you do, don't for a second think you aren't a total asshole.

Return to “Legal Employment”