ultra-sweatshops

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ultra-sweatshops

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Are there any ultra-sweatshop big law firms where the billable expectations are fucking NUTS? I'm talking - you WORK till you DIE or you're FIRED. Like, 2800-3000+.

I know that ALL big law is sweaty, I want to identify the outliers so I can just NOT interview with them and spare everyone 20 mins.

I'm talking about 2800+ or out firms where first-year associate classes are trying to outgun each other because that's just how you get ahead in these inhumane conditions.

ruski

Re: ultra-sweatshops

Postby ruski » Wed May 02, 2012 4:00 pm

there aren't many firms like that. maybe wachtell and boise. but even then, you can always just say 'no' to work. no one's gonna fire you if you only bill 2200. you may not make it to be a senior associate, but if you hit 2100 you'll be safe for a few years for sure, especially if you are turning in quality work.

also this has been mentioned before, but its really gonna come down to your practice area more so than any individual firm. depts like M&A and securities are known to be pretty bad. service depts like employee benefits/erisa, tax, trust and estates, regulatory work, fund formation are known to be better on the hours side. your hours are driven by the type of work you do, not the firm you work for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Any of the NYC v10 could put you up there, hourswise. Especially in M&A or capital markets- provided deal work heats up again.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:06 pm

It's old, but probably still true and looks true: http://www.averyindex.com/longest_hours.php

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 pm

i know several associates at nyc v10 and 2800 is definitively not what everyone is gunning for. only a handful of stupid gunners will bill that much, unless they want to make partner.

Return to “Legal Employment”