how many interviews do people average at PLIP?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how many interviews do people average at PLIP?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I've heard of people doing 2-5, and I've heard of people doing 12+

Is there some kinda interview-range that results in some kinda offer? Like, 4 interviews makes you callback-secure, and 6 makes you offer-secure?

Also, whats up with Loyola Law? Are they trying to be an IP powerhouse or something? All power to them if they are, I'm just curious if they're good at IP because I've never heard of them.

Anonymous User

Re: how many interviews do people average at PLIP?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:17 pm

related question;
will it be really poor form for an 0L to show up and network at the rooms where firms host students? are those rooms staffed with actual hiring partners or is it a bunch of perky blonde recruiter ladies interacting with really nerdy engineers? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 pm

I had 20-25.

Top 25% at MVP, patent agent, EE bachelors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had 20-25.

holy.. shit..

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:related question;
will it be really poor form for an 0L to show up and network at the rooms where firms host students? are those rooms staffed with actual hiring partners or is it a bunch of blonde recruiter ladies interacting with really nerdy engineers? Thanks!

Nah bro, they definitely want a bunch of 0Ls to get started early. That's how hot IP is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

holy.. shit..

how many callbacks/offers?
what range firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

holy.. shit..

how many callbacks/offers?
what range firms?

I think like 5-6 CBs and only 1 offer. I did much better at OCI though. Firms were all Vault.

zzzzzzzzzz

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Wed May 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I can understand getting excited about this-but your question has no answer. A person with 3 interviews can get 3 offers, and a person with 25 can get 0. You'll never be able to get a reliable average.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:29 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:I can understand getting excited about this-but your question has no answer. A person with 3 interviews can get 3 offers, and a person with 25 can get 0. You'll never be able to get a reliable average.

have you ever actually seen 0/25?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Top Third when bid, probably top quarter at interview time - t14 - EE - no w/e

17 Ints / 6 CBs / 4 offers

Weird shit happens though. A firm who didnt even interview me at Loyola, called me back from my real oci.

zzzzzzzzzz

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Wed May 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:I can understand getting excited about this-but your question has no answer. A person with 3 interviews can get 3 offers, and a person with 25 can get 0. You'll never be able to get a reliable average.

Personally? No. Obviously the more interviews you have, the less likely you would be to completely strike out. But there's no threshold number of interviews that should make you feel "safe". While it might make you feel better if some random person on TLS throws out a number that you wind up exceeding, your chance of success has nothing to do with this, and depends only on how well you perform in whatever interviews you get.

target

Postby target » Wed May 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:related question;
will it be really poor form for an 0L to show up and network at the rooms where firms host students? are those rooms staffed with actual hiring partners or is it a bunch of perky blonde recruiter ladies interacting with really nerdy engineers? Thanks!

Anonymous User wrote:Also, whats up with Loyola Law? Are they trying to be an IP powerhouse or something? All power to them if they are, I'm just curious if they're good at IP because I've never heard of them.

Are you a 0L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm

6 interviews, 2 callbacks, 2 offers (market-paying). Non-EE.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:55 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Personally? No. Obviously the more interviews you have, the less likely you would be to completely strike out. But there's no threshold number of interviews that should make you feel "safe". While it might make you feel better if some random person on TLS throws out a number that you wind up exceeding, your chance of success has nothing to do with this, and depends only on how well you perform in whatever interviews you get.

I went 3 offers/23 CBs/75 screeners with three CB cancellations/withdrawals after I finally started getting offers. It's possible, but unlikely. Not IP though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 2:58 pm

The "average" number is not useful, because PLIP interviews are pre-screened. I had 17 interviews (top 15% at T14, ME), but people with bad grades or a bad school might get few to none.

Also, someone might call security if a 0L walked in trying to network.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The "average" number is not useful, because PLIP interviews are pre-screened. I had 17 interviews (top 15% at T14, ME), but people with bad grades or a bad school might get few to none.

Also, someone might call security if a 0L walked in trying to network.

It would be totally acceptable to body-check them to get facetime with the lawyers.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Wed May 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weird shit happens though. A firm who didnt even interview me at Loyola, called me back from my real oci.

This is a legit strategy many firms implement - they only have a limited number of slots at Loyola so they interview the national candidates whom they would not otherwise have a chance to interview. They save the regional candidates for OCI where they might have more slots, a less-stellar candidate pool, a mix of the previous, the ability to interview on campus as needed, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Top 1/3 MVPB, Comp Sci (patent bar eligible), 18 interviews, 10 callbacks offered, 4 callbacks accepted, 3 offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I had 5 interviews, 3 callbacks, cancelled all of them because I got offer thru OCI at my transferred-to school. At the time i bid, i was going to a school ranked in the high 90's (now TTT :roll: ), that had no grades/rank because we had year-long classes. So i bid Loyola with a terrible school, and no grades, but EE background and 2 years WE.

People I met from T14 schools had at least 2x my # of interviews, but like everyone else has said above, your school and rank will get you the interview, the rest is up to you to turn those interviews into callbacks and offers. I know people with 20+ interviews and 10+ callbacks receive only one offer in late November. So don't be too lax just because you have a large # of interviews, you still need to hustle just as hard as those with 1 interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 05, 2012 12:04 am

I walked in with 2, but left having done 5, and ultimately got my offer from there.

It's possible to pick up interviews, both at the morning cattle call, and from the hospitality suites. Just go in and be social. Also, it's nice to meet other patent nerds. I guess the takeaway is, just because you start with a lousy number doesn't mean it has to end that way.

Return to “Legal Employment”