Asking for time off as a 2L SA for medical reasons

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Asking for time off as a 2L SA for medical reasons

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 2:28 am

rayiner wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Don't travel?

Clearly the order of priority is: Vacation > Exams > 160K job.

An SA is basically a paid vacation.

What do you mean by this?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 am

Seriously, OP, do it now during finals. You'll still be able to get stuff done. I'm actually sick now and I've been getting sick the last week and I just pushed through all of my finals during this time. Better to deal with it now then during the SA and just hope for a quick recovery time. I mean, it's not you have to leave your house when you're outlining/studying anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am

OP: ok clearly you people assume the worst. By travel I mean it will take two days to drive from my law school with my materials back to my home state prior to moving to NYC. I'm not going on a vacation!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 03, 2012 10:09 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting problem. I'm a student summering at a v50 law firm in NYC and currently I am in the middle of a medical dilemma; nothing serious but I'll need to have two wisdom teeth removed sooner rather than later. Job starts in less than a month and typically I'd just take care of this now but I am in the middle of exams. To make matters more complicated due to travel I will not have the recommended 1 week of down time between the surgery and complete recovery before my job starts.

Thus, my options appear to be either go the entire summer associate program treating the symptoms of the molar problem (rinsing with saline & Hydrogen Peroxide) and hoping an infection doesn't occur that would force me to miss work, or

Contact the firm and try to schedule a time when I could have the procedure done with the minimal interference.

My question is how much will the latter option impact my prospects for a offer? Anyone whose had similar experiences would be helpful.

Don't travel?

Clearly the order of priority is: Vacation > Exams > 160K job.

It's not a vacation its travel to get my furniture and clothes back to my home state before moving to NYC for the summer!

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Thu May 03, 2012 10:32 am

Can you get it done the day after your last exam? It sounds like you have at least a few days between your last exam and starting at the firm. Even drilling won't keep you out of working after a day or two of recovery. Also, it flying an option? Instead of two days driving? Maybe fly now and then get the rest of our stuff later?

Return to “Legal Employment”