SA business casual - women's clothing thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SA business casual - women's clothing thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Stopped by H and M the other day and bought the blazer in the top left of the picture on this page (but in black, not white): http://www.myhereandnowlife.com/2012/05 ... yle-h.html . Now I'm having second thoughts because of the ruffles on the sides. Appropriate for business casual? What about OCI? If not, can I take it to a tailor and get the ruffles removed? It fits me really well and I have a hard-to-fit body, but I can return it if it looks too weird.

I think it's adorable, but I say no to OCI. Seems too fashionable for OCI.

Thanks, I kind of agree. You think it would be ok in a business casual firm (after I *cross fingers, knock on wood*) am hired?

Anonymous User wrote:Question re. hair: mine is super super curly. I've gotten the impression that curly hair is somehow more unprofessional looking so I either straighten it or put it up. Is this just a ridiculous assumption or is curly hair actually more casual looking?

I can actually confirm that some people think it is more casual looking--I wore my hair in its naturally curly state in a mock interview and was told that I should straighten it or wear it up. Sucks, but there you go.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 pm

The curly hair thing is really useful.

I'm assuming a bun is the correct choice for putting it up? What if I'm horrible at making buns? (true story)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 am

I can actually confirm that some people think it is more casual looking--I wore my hair in its naturally curly state in a mock interview and was told that I should straighten it or wear it up. Sucks, but there you go.

Original curly-haired anon here. This is stupid. Not only do buns look boring all the time, but straightening is actively bad for one's hair and takes forever.

That being said, thoughts on wearing it curly once you have the job (just to the office)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Original curly-haired anon here. This is stupid. Not only do buns look boring all the time, but straightening is actively bad for one's hair and takes forever.

That being said, thoughts on wearing it curly once you have the job (just to the office)?

I 100% agree that it is stupid and I was shocked that people actually thought that way. I don't think my curly hair looks messy or sloppy at all, I get compliments on it all the time. But since said mock interview, I haven't worn it curly to my 1L job at all, and I don't plan to ever wear it curly during my 2L summer either. Have you thought about having it chemically straightened? It's super expensive, but I hear it works really well...I just don't want to damage my hair :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I 100% agree that it is stupid and I was shocked that people actually thought that way. I don't think my curly hair looks messy or sloppy at all, I get compliments on it all the time. But since said mock interview, I haven't worn it curly to my 1L job at all, and I don't plan to ever wear it curly during my 2L summer either. Have you thought about having it chemically straightened? It's super expensive, but I hear it works really well...I just don't want to damage my hair :/

I Brazilian-keratin straightened my hair. Barely worked at all. Friend with much straighter hair had to have hers redone before it worked. Japanese straightening looks too severe. :/ Any suggestions?

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:18 am

I think for an interview most women should wear their hair either up or half-up (my personal go-to). With curly hair, the point is to make sure it doesn't look messy. You want to look professional and put together for an interview, and wild curls don't give off that vibe. Tamed ones are fine, but pulled back is probably better than down. I think long hair that's down is distracting in general, and a lot of girls fidget with it without even realizing they're doing it.

Also there's absolutely no need to straighten your hair every day for a 1L internship or at a firm. As long as it looks neat (and curly OR straight hair can look bad/messy) no one is going to care if you have curls. That's ridiculous. It's better to err on the side of caution for interviews just because it's a first impression and you want the focus to be on what you're saying, but once you are actually working, as long as you look professional, you'll be fine.

@akili - there are a ton of youtube tutorials on easy buns for curly hair for virtually every length, and a bun should be super easy. I think sometimes they can look a little severe, so maybe go for one that still has your natural part and is a little relaxed?

MissMock

Postby MissMock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:30 am

akili wrote:I'm going shopping with my mom (haha) to get clothes for OCI/next summer where my office won't be just casual. We are going to hit up J.Crew and Ann Taylor Loft, but do yall have any other recommendations for affordable work clothes?

Check out Banana Republic Outlet! I recently went and everything in the store (including clearance) was an additional 40% off. I got several skirts, dresses, and really nice tops, and didn't pay more than $15 for a single item. I even found a $130 dress for $9.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I Brazilian-keratin straightened my hair. Barely worked at all. Friend with much straighter hair had to have hers redone before it worked. Japanese straightening looks too severe. :/ Any suggestions?

Plenty of women at my V10 firm (one of the more conservative ones) have big curly hair. Not an issue whatsoever. It's your hair, it's not like you can change how it naturally comes out, so I doubt anyone would judge you if you kept it presentable looking (i.e. not like the princess in Brave).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am

fashion nobody here. can someone post a few of their favorite female business casual looks here for me? i'd really appreciate it and would prefer looks revolving around pants.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:fashion nobody here. can someone post a few of their favorite female business casual looks here for me? i'd really appreciate it and would prefer looks revolving around pants.

Cruise around the Corporette website. Checking it out once a week or so has really given me a good idea of what's good to wear in a law office and what is not. Big law lady runs it and the people in the comments can be really helpful, too.

bruiserwoods92

Postby bruiserwoods92 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:13 pm

What are the wardrobe must haves for a NYC SA position? Looking to start building my wardrobe and was wondering how many dresses, pairs of heels etc. I should have on hand.

seashell.economy

Postby seashell.economy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:18 pm

1) No cleavage.
2) Don't go overkill with the make-up.
3) Office wear pants/skirt + blouse + cardigan + nice flats seems like the business casual in downtown these days.
4) No cleavage.
5) Minimal jewelry is fine.
6) Everything needs to be wrinkle-free.
7) NO CLEAVAGE!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Have you worked as a SA or in a law firm, seashell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:39 am

Lwoods wrote:Shoes: ballet flats to 4" heels. To be safe, steer clear of sandals and flip flops (unless you just wear them to commute). No more than 1/2" platform. Peep toes are fine. I'd personally avoid a chunky heel because it gives me bad flashbacks to the late 1990s. Within this, though, don't be afraid to show a little bit of your personal style; I definitely saw female SAs bond with female partners over shoes and pedicures.

Bottoms:
No jeans, obviously. Some old school folks consider khakis to be casual wear, so I'd avoid those and stick to black, grey and navy slacks.
Skirts can hit just above the knee but no shorter. Use good judgment when it comes to slits. Here you have more freedom with colors, but I'd avoid prints that look like resort wear.

Tops:
No cleavage. If most of your blouses are v-necks/show cleavage, wear a cami underneath (I really like this one from The Limited).
You can wear sleeveless blouses, but always have a cardigan or blazer to wear over them in the office, and make sure they're still presentable without the blazer or cardigan (no exposed bra straps, etc.)

Dresses:
Combine the rules of tops and skirts (just above the knee at the shortest, no cleavage, etc.)

Accessories:
You can show some personality here, but within the right context. Chunky bangle? Doable. Giant gold hoop earrings? Probably not a good idea.

Start with conservative looks the first week (3" pumps, dark neutrals on the bottom, solid-color conservatively cut blouses, delicate necklaces or stud earrings) and just observe how the female attorneys dress. If they all look frumpy, you don't have to mimic them, but if there are a handful of a little more fashion-forward attorneys, you can follow their lead (within reason...and keep your ears open to make sure their bosses don't have negative opinions about their dress).
Overall, though, if you look in the mirror and think you look put together, clean cut, and powerful, you're probably in good shape.

Are you speaking from your own experience, or is this pulled from a guide? Because this is really good and comprehensive but I was wondering how you put this together.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Have you worked as a SA or in a law firm, seashell?

Lol this. Wear whatever jewelry and your normal amount of makeup. Many of my favorite female partners at big firms often wear "loud" clothing and jewelry. You also don't need a cardigan. I mean by all means, wear one of you want. But you're well within your bounds not to.

Return to “Legal Employment”