SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nymario

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby nymario » Mon May 07, 2012 4:42 pm

This thread makes me happy that I'm working at a Business Formal firm this summer...I've got my 4 suits, plenty of white/light shirts and matching ties, I can zombie in without learning a new system...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 5:01 pm

nymario wrote:This thread makes me happy that I'm working at a Business Formal firm this summer...I've got my 4 suits, plenty of white/light shirts and matching ties, I can zombie in without learning a new system...

On a related note, my firm this summer says that "business casual" is the minimum dress expected, but the firm explicitly states that business formal is highly encouraged. I prefer formal just because it's less complicated, and, because it is "encouraged" by the firm, I would normally just wear a suit everyday. However, when I was in the firm's office for my callback, a couple of the lawyers there joked with me about being in a suit and ribbed me about being overdressed for the interview. When the options are to adhere to the absolute "minimum" dress standards and fit in or be "overdressed" in accordance with the firm's preferences, which do you do?

I'm thinking probably a suit for the first day, and then after that I'll just go with the "business casual" dress that everyone else there will undoubtedly be in. That seems to be the general consensus, but thoughts on doing that when business formal is "encouraged"?

Anon since I'm not sure how many other firms have the explicit policy in addition to mine.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nymario wrote:This thread makes me happy that I'm working at a Business Formal firm this summer...I've got my 4 suits, plenty of white/light shirts and matching ties, I can zombie in without learning a new system...

On a related note, my firm this summer says that "business casual" is the minimum dress expected, but the firm explicitly states that business formal is highly encouraged. I prefer formal just because it's less complicated, and, because it is "encouraged" by the firm, I would normally just wear a suit everyday. However, when I was in the firm's office for my callback, a couple of the lawyers there joked with me about being in a suit and ribbed me about being overdressed for the interview. When the options are to adhere to the absolute "minimum" dress standards and fit in or be "overdressed" in accordance with the firm's preferences, which do you do?

I'm thinking probably a suit for the first day, and then after that I'll just go with the "business casual" dress that everyone else there will undoubtedly be in. That seems to be the general consensus, but thoughts on doing that when business formal is "encouraged"?

Anon since I'm not sure how many other firms have the explicit policy in addition to mine.

Just do city of London bro. Suit, non-white shirt, no tie.

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 pm

My SA firm is in between casual and formal. "Minimum" requirements: dress slacks, button-up shirt, sport coat, and dress shoes. It doesn't mention ties. I have a couple of dark gray suits (one striped and one solid) and just got three pair of wool slacks (olive, navy, and tan) and a solid navy sport coat cheap from JAB. I have a variety of shirt colors and patterns. What should I not wear with a navy jacket?

If I wanted to stick with black shoes and belt, what pant colors should I stay away from? Anything with any brown tint, or would tan be OK?

If I have to wear a jacket every day, I'm thinking I should get another couple of sport coats. JAB has a sale on sport coats now (buy-one-get-one-free plus two free pair of pants--so it'd be around $500 for two jackets and two pair of wool pants). Should I stay solid gray/olive/brown, or would some stripe/grid/herringbone be OK? I like herringbone.

I'm cheap/poor, so I'm not too concerned that JAB isn't the coolest. It seems to get the job done.

I guess if I get a brown jacket, I should get brown shoes and belt. Is brown the only color that is incompatible with black?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm

What color trousers should I be buying?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What color trousers should I be buying?

I'd start with dark khaki, light khaki, charcoal, and navy. Those are staples. Brown and olive are good too.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I'd start with dark khaki, light khaki, charcoal, and navy. Those are staples. Brown and olive are good too.

Is black too formal?

How shitty can I go with these. My GF's mom bought me a bunch of dockers + cosco brand khakis.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Romo your'e a size 12 AE correct? I'll keep an eye out for you at my local Nordstrom Rack. I've seen authentic AE there in the 120 dollar range on clearance. My dad loves his AE. He's a pretty classy guy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Black is a big no-no in the sartorial circles. You won't get dinged for it and a lot of people won't notice, but I'd still avoid it if you can. Too formal and it stands out as a sign of lack of mens dress knowledge.

You don't have to spend a ton on pants but you want to make sure they fit. Not too baggy, good break at the bottom. That's the key.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 08, 2012 12:00 am

The Rack is great. We have one in STL that I go to often. Will probably go and pick up some pants for my SA there myself, and I like their shoe selection too.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 am

So I should get a decent pair of black loafers for summer?

zozin

Postby zozin » Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 am

If anyone's shopping around for dress shirts, I really recommend Joseph A. Bank's Traveler's Tailored Fit shirts.

They're by far the nicest I've ever had, really good quality cotton and doesn't wrinkle much. The best part, they're usually on sale 3 for $90, which is a damn steal.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:33 am

Any tips on cheap trousers?

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:24 am

All you guys that don't know how to dress should just go to JCrew. That's a great place to start.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue May 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Any tips on cheap trousers?

See my post on the previous page re Hart Schaffner Marx wool pants for $40 (normally $150ish) on ebay. Free shipping, free return shipping. Can't go wrong. I usually wear an inch or two bigger in wool pants than jeans, not sure why.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 pm

alirod12 wrote:All you guys that don't know how to dress should just go to JCrew. That's a great place to start.

How about for underwear?

Postby 20130312 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 pm

desertlaw wrote:
alirod12 wrote:All you guys that don't know how to dress should just go to JCrew. That's a great place to start.

How about for underwear?

Remember how you use to get made fun of for your tighty white-ies? Now they're acceptable.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 pm

zozin wrote:If anyone's shopping around for dress shirts, I really recommend Joseph A. Bank's Traveler's Tailored Fit shirts.

They're by far the nicest I've ever had, really good quality cotton and doesn't wrinkle much. The best part, they're usually on sale 3 for $90, which is a damn steal.

I agree with this. Got a couple awhile back because Pufer was such a big booster, and they are quality. Like them better than my Brooks Brothers shirts, though the difference isn't huge or anything. Make sure to get the tailored fit because the normal cut is huge.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:35 pm

desertlaw wrote:

How about for underwear?

Polo Ralph Lauren boxer briefs. Sexy time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2012 11:46 pm

alirod12 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

How about for underwear?

Polo Ralph Lauren boxer briefs. Sexy time.

I may or may not have recently started wearing cotton/spandex blends for underwear, and omgsocomfortable.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 pm

zozin wrote:If anyone's shopping around for dress shirts, I really recommend Joseph A. Bank's Traveler's Tailored Fit shirts.

Totally agree! Best deal around for shirts of that high quality. Definitely need the tailored fit since Jos. A. Bank shirts run a bit larger than most. But they feel great, look real great, and you can't beat that price.

Postby 20130312 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah I was just trolling. Boxer briefs are wassup.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Skull and crossbones underoos is the only acceptable answer.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 pm

And, for the record, "Jos. A. Banks" is never the credited response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 1:24 pm

alirod12 wrote:And, for the record, "Jos. A. Banks" is never the credited response.

Huh? Their dress shirts are excellent for the price, and their suits are certainly a step up for kids who don't have a lot of $$ to burn yet, but don't want to wear the same cheap crap they got when they were 18

Return to “Legal Employment”