SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 am

Veyron wrote:This thread is relevant to my interests.

P.S. word on the street is that Dillards has some surprisingly dope slim-fit non-iron dress shirts. Much more affordable than BB for almost equal quality. Throw that with a set of HSM or BB slacks and watch the honeys pile on. An easy rule to follow is that the only acceptable monochrome shirts will be blue or white. If you want another color you have to get a pattern or striped shirt.

Shoes: Bostonian cap-toes at the low end. Sacks 5th has a nice house-brand at the mid-range price-point. AVOID SQUARE TOES.

Belt: Fuck, this doesn't matter as an SA. Get a $40 reversible belt from ye' olde department store.

You're welcome.


There are the tips I'm looking for. I also heard Nordstrom Rack has okay deals.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby kalvano » Wed May 02, 2012 2:08 am

Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off 5th are gold. Off 5th should have a 2-for-1 sale soon, which means you can get two nice suits for $350 - $650, depending on brand. Last time I was in, they had Hickey Freeman for $695.

Edit - men's suits are 2-for-1 through May 8th at Saks Off 5th, plus 40% off slacks and 30% off shoes.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:This thread is relevant to my interests.

P.S. word on the street is that Dillards has some surprisingly dope slim-fit non-iron dress shirts. Much more affordable than BB for almost equal quality. Throw that with a set of HSM or BB slacks and watch the honeys pile on. An easy rule to follow is that the only acceptable monochrome shirts will be blue or white. If you want another color you have to get a pattern or striped shirt.

Shoes: Bostonian cap-toes at the low end. Sacks 5th has a nice house-brand at the mid-range price-point. AVOID SQUARE TOES.

Belt: Fuck, this doesn't matter as an SA. Get a $40 reversible belt from ye' olde department store.

You're welcome.


There are the tips I'm looking for. I also heard Nordstrom Rack has okay deals.


Don't get fake shoes. Buy some Allen Edmonds at the Rack for 195 instead of 300 and feel good about yourself. Nobody notices the difference in dress shirts. You can probably go to a Van Heusen outlet and no one will care.

If you find a Brooks Brothers outlet, the suits are perfect to look good in and heck-a-cheap (like $299 each). The regular BB will tailor them for you too, meaning you'll look good. Just understand that before the end of law school they will probably be worn out and are good to tear in half as a joke when bored at a lame wedding

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:This thread is relevant to my interests.

P.S. word on the street is that Dillards has some surprisingly dope slim-fit non-iron dress shirts. Much more affordable than BB for almost equal quality. Throw that with a set of HSM or BB slacks and watch the honeys pile on. An easy rule to follow is that the only acceptable monochrome shirts will be blue or white. If you want another color you have to get a pattern or striped shirt.

Shoes: Bostonian cap-toes at the low end. Sacks 5th has a nice house-brand at the mid-range price-point. AVOID SQUARE TOES.

Belt: Fuck, this doesn't matter as an SA. Get a $40 reversible belt from ye' olde department store.

You're welcome.


There are the tips I'm looking for. I also heard Nordstrom Rack has okay deals.


Don't get fake shoes. Buy some Allen Edmonds at the Rack for 195 instead of 300 and feel good about yourself. Nobody notices the difference in dress shirts. You can probably go to a Van Heusen outlet and no one will care.

If you find a Brooks Brothers outlet, the suits are perfect to look good in and heck-a-cheap (like $299 each). The regular BB will tailor them for you too, meaning you'll look good. Just understand that before the end of law school they will probably be worn out and are good to tear in half as a joke when bored at a lame wedding


Just the kind of advice I would expect from an egghead from the university of Shitttcago. Just wait for his advice on pocket protectors in the next installment.

The suits at the BB outlets are not 100% wool. This makes them unacceptable to wear in public. For 300 bucks, you should at least be able to get a real suit. Go to JAB if absolutely necessary. But really, just man the fuck up and buy a nice suit. BB's Fitzgerald line (not available at outlets), HF, HSM, etc are all acceptable choices. And never use the in-house tailor, they usually suck.

The shirt is the #1 thing that most people will notice about your outfit in a business casual setting. Not only must the shirt be of reasonably high quality but it should be tailored. With a non-iron shirt that means that you need to wash and dry the shirt and then take it to a tailor before it can be warn in public (unless you are one of those rare souls that they fit perfectly off the rack - your tailor will let you know).

Many people swear by AE shoes. I personally find them to be overpriced and of decreasing quality as of late. This is the one thing I've said that can be legitimately disagreed with.

P.S. BB has a semi-annual sale in the middle of the summer. Too late to do you much good for your SA but pure gold for building a wardrobe or purchasing a suit.
Last edited by Veyron on Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 am

Already got some AE shoes from OCI. I don't need a suit, already got a BB one from OCI.

Mostly need shirts and slacks.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:Already got some AE shoes from OCI. I don't need a suit, already got a BB one from OCI.

Mostly need shirts and slacks.


What is your build?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:05 am

Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Already got some AE shoes from OCI. I don't need a suit, already got a BB one from OCI.

Mostly need shirts and slacks.


What is your build?


6'2" 260, bigger in the midsection. Shirts fitting right is absolutely key.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Already got some AE shoes from OCI. I don't need a suit, already got a BB one from OCI.

Mostly need shirts and slacks.


What is your build?


6'2" 260, bigger in the midsection. Shirts fitting right is absolutely key.


I worked with a guy who had about those measurements and he rocked dat' BB regular fit all day. You could also get away with Roundtree and Yorke Gold Label regular fit. Vertical stripes are your friend.

For the slacks, DEFINITELY check out BB's Madison line with a pleated front. The pleats will make them much more comfortable for someone with your build and they'll look less forced on you than flat fronts. The legs are also wider which will make them look more proportional.
Last edited by Veyron on Wed May 02, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:13 am

Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Already got some AE shoes from OCI. I don't need a suit, already got a BB one from OCI.

Mostly need shirts and slacks.


What is your build?


6'2" 260, bigger in the midsection. Shirts fitting right is absolutely key.


I worked with a guy who had about those measurements and he rocked dat' BB regular fit all day. You could also get away with Roundtree and Yorke Gold Label regular fit.

For the pants, DEFINITELY check out BB's Madison line with a pleated front. The pleats will make them much more comfortable for someone with your build and they'll look less forced on you than flat fronts.


They took the pleats out of my madison, and it looked better than with them on.

The BB guy sold me the slim fits, and I was skeptical as fuck, but they fit better than any shirt I've ever had. In a lot of shirts I get like wings near my arms.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 am

They took the pleats out of my madison, and it looked better than with them on.

The BB guy sold me the slim fits, and I was skeptical as fuck, but they fit better than any shirt I've ever had. In a lot of shirts I get like wings near my arms.


Tailors can take care of the wings.

Also, they took the pleats out? WTF. That's usually so difficult that customers are just advised to buy other pants.


User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby moandersen » Wed May 02, 2012 8:31 am

Veyron wrote:
They took the pleats out of my madison, and it looked better than with them on.

The BB guy sold me the slim fits, and I was skeptical as fuck, but they fit better than any shirt I've ever had. In a lot of shirts I get like wings near my arms.


Tailors can take care of the wings.

Also, they took the pleats out? WTF. That's usually so difficult that customers are just advised to buy other pants.


I'm currently debating whether to get my BB slim fits tailored. They def could use it cause I got a lot of extra fabric around the waist, but Im not familiar with an tailors in town and am scared a tailor will not do the work properly. If I was back in the Chi I know I can get quality work, but in my small southern town I'm less trusting for some reason.

As for slacks, I got a few banana republic pants I'm going to rock.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

moandersen wrote:
Veyron wrote:
They took the pleats out of my madison, and it looked better than with them on.

The BB guy sold me the slim fits, and I was skeptical as fuck, but they fit better than any shirt I've ever had. In a lot of shirts I get like wings near my arms.


Tailors can take care of the wings.

Also, they took the pleats out? WTF. That's usually so difficult that customers are just advised to buy other pants.


I'm currently debating whether to get my BB slim fits tailored. They def could use it cause I got a lot of extra fabric around the waist, but Im not familiar with an tailors in town and am scared a tailor will not do the work properly. If I was back in the Chi I know I can get quality work, but in my small southern town I'm less trusting for some reason.

As for slacks, I got a few banana republic pants I'm going to rock.


I would just take them to the tailor. I've had good luck with random tailors in small towns.

ruski
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby ruski » Wed May 02, 2012 9:55 am

tailoring dress shirts is way too extreme, esp for SA or first year associates. i agree that the shirt is the most noticeable part of your outfit, def dont go to a van husen outlet. if you really want to cut corners do so on the pants. charles tyrwitt, between their regular fit, slim, and extra slim, should have shirts that fit everyone. and they always have sale 4 for 200 and quality is pretty good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Any other advice on shoes? Looking to spend ~$100 because I'm cheap as fuck.

ruski
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby ruski » Wed May 02, 2012 4:04 pm

100 bucks wont get you far. try to get a good brand that's on sale, rather than a regularly priced kenneth cole or calvin klein shoe. if you wear them everyday a kenneth cole shoe won't even get you through one year, hence why pepole recommend spending and an extra 50 bucks or so and you can get decent shoe for 150 that will last. johhnston and murphy makes a decent shoe that you can get in between 100-200.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Wed May 02, 2012 4:32 pm

ruski wrote:tailoring dress shirts is way too extreme, esp for SA or first year associates. i agree that the shirt is the most noticeable part of your outfit, def dont go to a van husen outlet. if you really want to cut corners do so on the pants. charles tyrwitt, between their regular fit, slim, and extra slim, should have shirts that fit everyone. and they always have sale 4 for 200 and quality is pretty good.


Extremism in the defense of style is no vice!

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Already got some AE shoes from OCI. I don't need a suit, already got a BB one from OCI.

Mostly need shirts and slacks.


What is your build?


6'2" 260, bigger in the midsection. Shirts fitting right is absolutely key.


Holy Shit, you're built like a left tackle.

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other advice on shoes? Looking to spend ~$100 because I'm cheap as fuck.


I think I got my Bostonians for less than that on sale. They're alright, good enough for an SA, and not sure if you'll find anything better for <$100. I've worn them a couple hundred times over ~3 years, and they're still in good shape.

ETA: These looks like the ones I have: http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-bostoni ... godigital&

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby moandersen » Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other advice on shoes? Looking to spend ~$100 because I'm cheap as fuck.


Im looking for shoes in that price range as well. I got the JM cap toe (black) for my suits, and a little more casual brown JMs to go with certain slacks, but I feel like I need a business casual black shoe for my grey/black slacks. Ive been putting this off for months and now only 1.5 weeks until I start my SA. Any suggestions w/ links would be appreciated. gracias.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby kaiser » Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 pm

I've had the same Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy shoes for about 3 or 4 years, wore em a ton of times, cost me about $80 a pair since they were on sale, and they have held up just fine. Sure, I polish them and make them look nice, and got one of my soles redone since I walk with my foot at a slight angle that eats away at the heel in one spot, but I'm super happy with these pairs of shoes, and would definitely check them out again when I add to the shoe collection.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 pm

kaiser wrote:I've had the same Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy shoes for about 3 or 4 years, wore em a ton of times, cost me about $80 a pair since they were on sale, and they have held up just fine. Sure, I polish them and make them look nice, and got one of my soles redone since I walk with my foot at a slight angle that eats away at the heel in one spot, but I'm super happy with these pairs of shoes, and would definitely check them out again when I add to the shoe collection.


Polish and shoe trees are a vastly misunderestimated way of making shoes last longer and look better than their price point.

jc1988
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:03 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby jc1988 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:07 am

kaiser wrote:I've had the same Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy shoes for about 3 or 4 years, wore em a ton of times, cost me about $80 a pair since they were on sale, and they have held up just fine. Sure, I polish them and make them look nice, and got one of my soles redone since I walk with my foot at a slight angle that eats away at the heel in one spot, but I'm super happy with these pairs of shoes, and would definitely check them out again when I add to the shoe collection.


I recommend Cole Haan as well. In fact, their shoes are the only dress shoes that don't make my feet feel amputated at the end of the day.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:50 am

Love my Cole Hanns.

Also, I have a pair of Bonobo dress slacks that are slim fit and pimptastic. The paisley fabric in the pockets gives a nice, unexpected flash of color when you reach in and pull out your wallet.

I have to admit, I've never thought of getting my dress shirts tailored, but that is a fantastic idea. No one ever told me that, I'm going to do it now.

For business casual, Gap actually makes really nice dress shirts, and their slim fit fits me very well.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:This thread is relevant to my interests.

P.S. word on the street is that Dillards has some surprisingly dope slim-fit non-iron dress shirts. Much more affordable than BB for almost equal quality. Throw that with a set of HSM or BB slacks and watch the honeys pile on. An easy rule to follow is that the only acceptable monochrome shirts will be blue or white. If you want another color you have to get a pattern or striped shirt.

Shoes: Bostonian cap-toes at the low end. Sacks 5th has a nice house-brand at the mid-range price-point. AVOID SQUARE TOES.
Belt: Fuck, this doesn't matter as an SA. Get a $40 reversible belt from ye' olde department store.

You're welcome.


There are the tips I'm looking for. I also heard Nordstrom Rack has okay deals.


I always think squared toed shoes makes you look like an elf. I don't care how handsome you are, squared toed shoes are for leprechauns or pilgrims. Might as well get a hat with a buckle on it too.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.