SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All I have to say is that if you are SAing as a waiter business casual market (eg. SoCal), the best places to go for pants are Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshals/The Rack/Sacks of Fifth. I would buy flat-front pants that do not have the appearance of suit pants ie. more form fitting around your but and pevlic area and straight legged down without being billowy.

I would not buy dress shirts at Ross, Tj Maxx, or Marshalls-- it is easier to find suitable casual pants than shirts at these places because pants are harder to screw up (just no billows or pleats or taper).

For shirts (assuming you are not wearing a tie) I would go with a slim fit with a .5-1 up on the neck from your fitted dress shirt size with a brand that does pretty well on appearing tailored when not tailored (eg. Calvin Kline, Kenneth Cole, Boss, etc.). Get spread collared unless you are very, very fat. In terms of colors/patterns, just copy what partners and senior associates wear. You cannot go wrong with white shirt with checkered or pin-striped patterns. Be careful with warmer colors like purples and reds, because you could easily come off looking like a verizon salesman or a bro at a trashy wedding.


FTFY


Better suggestions for Socal/ SV firms? This is pretty much what everyone wears.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All I have to say is that if you are SAing as a waiter business casual market (eg. SoCal), the best places to go for pants are Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshals/The Rack/Sacks of Fifth. I would buy flat-front pants that do not have the appearance of suit pants ie. more form fitting around your but and pevlic area and straight legged down without being billowy.

I would not buy dress shirts at Ross, Tj Maxx, or Marshalls-- it is easier to find suitable casual pants than shirts at these places because pants are harder to screw up (just no billows or pleats or taper).

For shirts (assuming you are not wearing a tie) I would go with a slim fit with a .5-1 up on the neck from your fitted dress shirt size with a brand that does pretty well on appearing tailored when not tailored (eg. Calvin Kline, Kenneth Cole, Boss, etc.). Get spread collared unless you are very, very fat. In terms of colors/patterns, just copy what partners and senior associates wear. You cannot go wrong with white shirt with checkered or pin-striped patterns. Be careful with warmer colors like purples and reds, because you could easily come off looking like a verizon salesman or a bro at a trashy wedding.


FTFY


Better suggestions for Socal/ SV firms? This is pretty much what everyone wears.


Your list of what to wear is correct. Your list of where to buy it is not. Ross? TxMaxx? Really? Really? For women, sure. Men? Really? Maybe for casual clothes but not for work. I'm sorry I'm sputtering but this should really be an issue of res ipsa loquitur. But, hey, maybe people really do dress that badly in SV. Wouldn't surprise me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 27, 2012 11:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All I have to say is that if you are SAing as a waiter business casual market (eg. SoCal), the best places to go for pants are Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshals/The Rack/Sacks of Fifth. I would buy flat-front pants that do not have the appearance of suit pants ie. more form fitting around your but and pevlic area and straight legged down without being billowy.

I would not buy dress shirts at Ross, Tj Maxx, or Marshalls-- it is easier to find suitable casual pants than shirts at these places because pants are harder to screw up (just no billows or pleats or taper).

For shirts (assuming you are not wearing a tie) I would go with a slim fit with a .5-1 up on the neck from your fitted dress shirt size with a brand that does pretty well on appearing tailored when not tailored (eg. Calvin Kline, Kenneth Cole, Boss, etc.). Get spread collared unless you are very, very fat. In terms of colors/patterns, just copy what partners and senior associates wear. You cannot go wrong with white shirt with checkered or pin-striped patterns. Be careful with warmer colors like purples and reds, because you could easily come off looking like a verizon salesman or a bro at a trashy wedding.


FTFY


Better suggestions for Socal/ SV firms? This is pretty much what everyone wears.


Your list of what to wear is correct. Your list of where to buy it is not. Ross? TxMaxx? Really? Really? For women, sure. Men? Really? Maybe for casual clothes but not for work. I'm sorry I'm sputtering but this should really be an issue of res ipsa loquitur. But, hey, maybe people really do dress that badly in SV. Wouldn't surprise me.


I used to think Ross was where old ladies purchased cardigans and obese people purchased purple sweat pants and Big Dogs/ Buggs Bunny shirts. Then, I realized that the $45 pair of Calvin Klein dress pants I bought at the Rack was sold at Ross for $26.

The key is finding Rosses in places where there is a low percentage of trashy people.

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 am

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All I have to say is that if you are SAing as a waiter business casual market (eg. SoCal), the best places to go for pants are Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshals/The Rack/Sacks of Fifth. I would buy flat-front pants that do not have the appearance of suit pants ie. more form fitting around your but and pevlic area and straight legged down without being billowy.

I would not buy dress shirts at Ross, Tj Maxx, or Marshalls-- it is easier to find suitable casual pants than shirts at these places because pants are harder to screw up (just no billows or pleats or taper).

For shirts (assuming you are not wearing a tie) I would go with a slim fit with a .5-1 up on the neck from your fitted dress shirt size with a brand that does pretty well on appearing tailored when not tailored (eg. Calvin Kline, Kenneth Cole, Boss, etc.). Get spread collared unless you are very, very fat. In terms of colors/patterns, just copy what partners and senior associates wear. You cannot go wrong with white shirt with checkered or pin-striped patterns. Be careful with warmer colors like purples and reds, because you could easily come off looking like a verizon salesman or a bro at a trashy wedding.


FTFY


Better suggestions for Socal/ SV firms? This is pretty much what everyone wears.


Your list of what to wear is correct. Your list of where to buy it is not. Ross? TxMaxx? Really? Really? For women, sure. Men? Really? Maybe for casual clothes but not for work. I'm sorry I'm sputtering but this should really be an issue of res ipsa loquitur. But, hey, maybe people really do dress that badly in SV. Wouldn't surprise me.


From a pure style standpoint, I agree with you that those are not the best places to go. That said, I think you all are over-thinking this big time. It seems to me that partners are generally not the metrosexual type. None of the partners or associates even give a shit enough about interns to actually notice - much less care - if they're wearing Tj Maxx. As long as you don't display terrible dress sense, it's not going to matter if you get your clothes from Jos. A. Banks or Brioni. They know we're all poor and that all of this shit is new to us.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Mon May 28, 2012 4:49 pm

There are like 10 different levels of CK pants (not that you should be buying any of them but w/e). Rack can carry several different levels and, while it wouldn't surprise me if their lowest level overlapped with Ross you really should be buying the lowest level ones anyway. Again, the general rule is if it contains synthetic fibers, don't buy it.

This whole appearances is not important thing is the kid of mentality that leads to midlevels getting laid off with no book and then wondering why they can't find a job. The sad fact is that the work product provided by most lawyers is highly fungible. Perception is a major distinguishing feature in the profession. Skimping on clothes is a penny wise and pound foolish approach.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby mrloblaw » Mon May 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Veyron wrote:There are like 10 different levels of CK pants (not that you should be buying any of them but w/e). Rack can carry several different levels and, while it wouldn't surprise me if their lowest level overlapped with Ross you really should be buying the lowest level ones anyway. Again, the general rule is if it contains synthetic fibers, don't buy it.

This whole appearances is not important thing is the kid of mentality that leads to midlevels getting laid off with no book and then wondering why they can't find a job. The sad fact is that the work product provided by most lawyers is highly fungible. Perception is a major distinguishing feature in the profession. Skimping on clothes is a penny wise and pound foolish approach.


While it is true that it's an open secret in the profession that there's nothing going on at Wachtell that the typical Cooley grad can't handle, I doubt that sartorial missteps are a common reason for layoffs, unless they're really bloody egregious. I doubt that wearing 20% poly Calvin Klein's qualifies. Just don't be these guys: Image

With that said, I personally can't stand digging through Ross/TJ Maxx (Or Nordstrom Rack/Saks Off Fifth for that matter). Decent stores have sales frequently enough that with a little patience, you can get similar prices without needing excavation equipment to sift through the fashion catastrophes. You can pick up 75% of requisite business formal and business casual clothing at the upcoming BB sale, for that matter.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby traehekat » Mon May 28, 2012 5:16 pm

mrloblaw wrote:Just don't be these guys: Image.


This is going to require some serious life reevaluation.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Mon May 28, 2012 5:51 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:There are like 10 different levels of CK pants (not that you should be buying any of them but w/e). Rack can carry several different levels and, while it wouldn't surprise me if their lowest level overlapped with Ross you really should be buying the lowest level ones anyway. Again, the general rule is if it contains synthetic fibers, don't buy it.

This whole appearances is not important thing is the kid of mentality that leads to midlevels getting laid off with no book and then wondering why they can't find a job. The sad fact is that the work product provided by most lawyers is highly fungible. Perception is a major distinguishing feature in the profession. Skimping on clothes is a penny wise and pound foolish approach.


While it is true that it's an open secret in the profession that there's nothing going on at Wachtell that the typical Cooley grad can't handle, I doubt that sartorial missteps are a common reason for layoffs, unless they're really bloody egregious. I doubt that wearing 20% poly Calvin Klein's qualifies. Just don't be these guys: Image

With that said, I personally can't stand digging through Ross/TJ Maxx (Or Nordstrom Rack/Saks Off Fifth for that matter). Decent stores have sales frequently enough that with a little patience, you can get similar prices without needing excavation equipment to sift through the fashion catastrophes. You can pick up 75% of requisite business formal and business casual clothing at the upcoming BB sale, for that matter.


It's not a common factor in layoffs but lack of polish is a common factor in the lack of a book.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Veyron wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:There are like 10 different levels of CK pants (not that you should be buying any of them but w/e). Rack can carry several different levels and, while it wouldn't surprise me if their lowest level overlapped with Ross you really should be buying the lowest level ones anyway. Again, the general rule is if it contains synthetic fibers, don't buy it.

This whole appearances is not important thing is the kid of mentality that leads to midlevels getting laid off with no book and then wondering why they can't find a job. The sad fact is that the work product provided by most lawyers is highly fungible. Perception is a major distinguishing feature in the profession. Skimping on clothes is a penny wise and pound foolish approach.


While it is true that it's an open secret in the profession that there's nothing going on at Wachtell that the typical Cooley grad can't handle, I doubt that sartorial missteps are a common reason for layoffs, unless they're really bloody egregious. I doubt that wearing 20% poly Calvin Klein's qualifies. Just don't be these guys: Image

With that said, I personally can't stand digging through Ross/TJ Maxx (Or Nordstrom Rack/Saks Off Fifth for that matter). Decent stores have sales frequently enough that with a little patience, you can get similar prices without needing excavation equipment to sift through the fashion catastrophes. You can pick up 75% of requisite business formal and business casual clothing at the upcoming BB sale, for that matter.


It's not a common factor in layoffs but lack of polish is a common factor in the lack of a book.


Yeah, but few (none in the law profession) can tell the difference between real Brooks Brothers and Brooks Brothers 346. Synthetic/nonfussed doesn't bother me as a poor law student with a family. I mean the dude with the weird pleated full-price slacks is gonna look worse for hire than the dude with $20 target-brand slacks and Van Heusen dress shirts.

I spend money on clothing items that are actually easy to tell the quality of-- shoes, watches, ties, and dress shirts.

I do agree that it is better practice for most to just go to the real store and dig through their mark-down/ sale items. However, if you are bored and don't value your after work time, digging through disgusting crap at Marshalls or Ross for a few gems can be great. This is especially true if you are oddly shaped, like super tall and skinny, wide, or short-- they actually sell real deal stuff for weird-sized people. I actually saw a pair of size 19 Jordans for like $45 for example.

On the other hand, when you do get to Biglaw, you better be buying the real uniform. You are at the top echelon of your profession, and there is no excuse for not buying real clothing.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Veyron, you've taken silly to the next level bro.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:There are like 10 different levels of CK pants (not that you should be buying any of them but w/e). Rack can carry several different levels and, while it wouldn't surprise me if their lowest level overlapped with Ross you really should be buying the lowest level ones anyway. Again, the general rule is if it contains synthetic fibers, don't buy it.

This whole appearances is not important thing is the kid of mentality that leads to midlevels getting laid off with no book and then wondering why they can't find a job. The sad fact is that the work product provided by most lawyers is highly fungible. Perception is a major distinguishing feature in the profession. Skimping on clothes is a penny wise and pound foolish approach.


While it is true that it's an open secret in the profession that there's nothing going on at Wachtell that the typical Cooley grad can't handle, I doubt that sartorial missteps are a common reason for layoffs, unless they're really bloody egregious. I doubt that wearing 20% poly Calvin Klein's qualifies. Just don't be these guys: Image

With that said, I personally can't stand digging through Ross/TJ Maxx (Or Nordstrom Rack/Saks Off Fifth for that matter). Decent stores have sales frequently enough that with a little patience, you can get similar prices without needing excavation equipment to sift through the fashion catastrophes. You can pick up 75% of requisite business formal and business casual clothing at the upcoming BB sale, for that matter.


It's not a common factor in layoffs but lack of polish is a common factor in the lack of a book.


Yeah, but few (none in the law profession) can tell the difference between real Brooks Brothers and Brooks Brothers 346. Synthetic/nonfussed doesn't bother me as a poor law student with a family. I mean the dude with the weird pleated full-price slacks is gonna look worse for hire than the dude with $20 target-brand slacks and Van Heusen dress shirts.

I spend money on clothing items that are actually easy to tell the quality of-- shoes, watches, ties, and dress shirts.

I do agree that it is better practice for most to just go to the real store and dig through their mark-down/ sale items. However, if you are bored and don't value your after work time, digging through disgusting crap at Marshalls or Ross for a few gems can be great. This is especially true if you are oddly shaped, like super tall and skinny, wide, or short-- they actually sell real deal stuff for weird-sized people. I actually saw a pair of size 19 Jordans for like $45 for example.

On the other hand, when you do get to Biglaw, you better be buying the real uniform. You are at the top echelon of your profession, and there is no excuse for not buying real clothing.


I agree with that. I've dug through crap at Marshals and Ross (and thrift stores for that matter) for the gems. I think that's different than making it your go-to shop for pants. But yah, not critical as an SA but as an attorney, you should be careful how you present yourself. Powerful partners and successful solos always seem to be impeccably dressed.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby mrloblaw » Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
I agree with that. I've dug through crap at Marshals and Ross (and thrift stores for that matter) for the gems. I theink that's different than making it your go-to shop for pants. But yah, not critical as an SA but as an attorney, you should be careful how you present yourself. Powerful partners and successful solos always seem to be impeccably dressed.


You mean, at some point, my thing for pocket squares and nice shoes won't make me a pariah?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Veyron » Mon May 28, 2012 9:02 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:
I agree with that. I've dug through crap at Marshals and Ross (and thrift stores for that matter) for the gems. I theink that's different than making it your go-to shop for pants. But yah, not critical as an SA but as an attorney, you should be careful how you present yourself. Powerful partners and successful solos always seem to be impeccably dressed.


You mean, at some point, my thing for pocket squares and nice shoes won't make me a pariah?


A world in which those things would make you a pariah is not a world in which I would want to live. Although, to be fair, pocket squares are damn hard to pull off properly.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Emma. » Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:
I agree with that. I've dug through crap at Marshals and Ross (and thrift stores for that matter) for the gems. I theink that's different than making it your go-to shop for pants. But yah, not critical as an SA but as an attorney, you should be careful how you present yourself. Powerful partners and successful solos always seem to be impeccably dressed.


You mean, at some point, my thing for pocket squares and nice shoes won't make me a pariah?


A world in which those things would make you a pariah is not a world in which I would want to live. Although, to be fair, pocket squares are damn hard to pull off properly.


How so?

Also, a question for everyone: Any thoughts on good jackets for business casual? Won't be wearing a blazer, my office is definitely more dress pants + dress shirt and no tie.

Is a trench coat appropriate? Any other ideas?

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby mrloblaw » Mon May 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Emma. wrote:
Veyron wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:
I agree with that. I've dug through crap at Marshals and Ross (and thrift stores for that matter) for the gems. I theink that's different than making it your go-to shop for pants. But yah, not critical as an SA but as an attorney, you should be careful how you present yourself. Powerful partners and successful solos always seem to be impeccably dressed.


You mean, at some point, my thing for pocket squares and nice shoes won't make me a pariah?


A world in which those things would make you a pariah is not a world in which I would want to live. Although, to be fair, pocket squares are damn hard to pull off properly.


How so?

Also, a question for everyone: Any thoughts on good jackets for business casual? Won't be wearing a blazer, my office is definitely more dress pants + dress shirt and no tie.

Is a trench coat appropriate? Any other ideas?


I think the rules are pretty subtle. For color, it looks cheesy to just use the color of your shirt (if solid and not white) or the major color from your tie. You want something that compliments them well without actually being identical to them. And because you're adding a piece of flair, I think you need to go less busy with everything else--either a solid color tie or some subtle stripes or widely spaced pindots (and never with a pinstripe suit?). And then there's trying to match the amount of fabric actually sticking out to the other proportions in your outfit (tie width, jacket lapels, etc) . . .

It's complicated, and I'm sure I look like an idiot at least a quarter of the time I'm experimenting.


As to the jacket question, no idea. I couldn't imagine wearing anything but a suit coat or a blazer myself.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Emma. » Mon May 28, 2012 9:25 pm

mrloblaw wrote:

As to the jacket question, no idea. I couldn't imagine wearing anything but a suit coat or a blazer myself.


It is cold here right now and a blazer by itself isn't going to cut it most days. Plus either a suit coat or a blazer are probably a little too dressy for this office.

tonnygarden
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby tonnygarden » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am

SPAM

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Emma. wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

As to the jacket question, no idea. I couldn't imagine wearing anything but a suit coat or a blazer myself.


It is cold here right now and a blazer by itself isn't going to cut it most days. Plus either a suit coat or a blazer are probably a little too dressy for this office.

Where the hell do you work? The moon?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Emma. wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

As to the jacket question, no idea. I couldn't imagine wearing anything but a suit coat or a blazer myself.


It is cold here right now and a blazer by itself isn't going to cut it most days. Plus either a suit coat or a blazer are probably a little too dressy for this office.

Where the hell do you work? The moon?

unless she's on the dark side, it's probably about 150 degrees too warm for a blazer in the morning.




and yes i know that's not how the dark side of the moon works.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby PepperJack » Tue May 13, 2014 2:50 pm

I didn't see a more recent thread.

I need slim fit sports coats, pants and a belt (business casual). Know of any good deals going on now. I'm aware of the Brooks Bros one, but I don't want to go 400 a sport jacket. It doesn't seem necessary. At the same time, I also don't want to look like a shlepper. Just the not stand out good fitting sport jacket and pants.

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Mullens » Tue May 13, 2014 3:09 pm

There's an 880 page male fashion thread in the lounge. Go there.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: SA Business Casual - Men's Clothing Thread

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue May 13, 2014 3:15 pm

X




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.