Scheduling PT Judicial Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which schedule is best for a part-time 1L judicial internship?

8am-noon Mon-Fri
No votes
8am-5pm Mon, Wed, Fri
100%

Total votes: 1

Anonymous User

Scheduling PT Judicial Internship

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm a 1L who will be interning with a fed magistrate judge this summer. Because of a change in my kids' summer schedule, I'm going to do it part time instead of full time. I have freedom in scheduling my hours, but I can't decide whether to do a half day every weekday or work a few full days per week (like M/W/F).

The main benefit to doing 3 full days is less money and time spent driving b/c it's an hour commute each way, but the downside is I'll be unavailable to my kids for the entirety of those days and I'm a single parent without any family members in the area who could help me out with them. The upside to being there everyday, even if it's just for 4 hours at a time, is that I'll be available to my kids every afternoon and it might be also be a plus in that I'll have daily contact with the judge and his chambers so that might be easier to establish contacts and get a good rec letter.

Anyone have opinions on this??

cantaboot

Re: Scheduling PT Judicial Internship

Postby cantaboot » Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm

ask your judge or his/her current clerks - sometimes the type of work would determine which schedule is preferable.

Return to “Legal Employment”