networking with AUSA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

networking with AUSA?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 am

What am I doing wrong below, guys?

- took criminal trial advocacy course with current AUSA in major district
- attended antiterrorism conference last year with about ten AUSA
- networked my butt off with people at my 2LSA V50 who were former AUSA (summer was only 10 wks, didn't get to really become tight)
- networked my butt off with AUSA-law school alumni (lower t14)
- externed at a DAs office during 1L summer, met no AUSAs

This entire year, I've been randomly emailing LinkedIn AUSAs (or whatever I can find) who I have some conceivable tie to (same undergrad, same LS, same firm) and I've been trying to see if networking that way is possible.

So far, I have zero "networking" relationships with any current or former AUSA.

I'm clearly going about this the wrong way. I figure without "who you know" it is pretty much impossible to land AUSA. What should I do differently?

Too late to extern at a AUSA office now. Anon bec my 2LSA firm shouldnt know that I am gunning for AUSA.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 01, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: networking with AUSA?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 6:56 am

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 am

Maybe you should be networking with politicians ?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue May 01, 2012 8:23 am

What are you expecting out of a networking relationship with an AUSA? It sounds like you've had plenty of contact with people and I can't think that you're ready to apply right now. Try to keep in touch with a few that you have had good contacts with and ask them specifically what they recommend at different stages of your career. (E.g. As you graduate, contact them and ask them for advice; ask at the year mark when they recommend applying, etc.)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm clearly going about this the wrong way. I figure without "who you know" it is pretty much impossible to land AUSA. What should I do differently?

Too late to extern at a AUSA office now. Anon bec my 2LSA firm shouldnt know that I am gunning for AUSA.

It's pretty much impossible to land AUSA straight out of law school. 99.5% go Biglaw-->AUSA or ADA-->AUSA. Absent crazy good connections (far better than just networking with AUSA's...think going to upper T14 and knowing people), the only real way into DOJ straight from school is the Honors program.

TheProsecutor

Postby TheProsecutor » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am

You're not doing anything wrong. You are building a good profile to become an AUSA. Becoming an AUSA, however, is a long term strategy.

First, you have to show an interest towards prosecution and public service in some way through you law school career. Typically, students gunning for AUSA positions spend a summer as a USAO office. You being a law clerk at a DA's office for the summer accomplishes the goal.

Second, you want to show that your interest is backed up by an academic level of smarts. Trial Advocacy course is good, attending the conference is good. I think you probably took a number of crim law and crim procedure classes which are all good.

Third, you want to get into biglaw or a regional firm that sends kids to AUSA offices or accepts AUSAs for partnership. Start working in litigation. Do pro bono work to get into court. Work for key partners and get them on your side so that when you lateral you can use them as strong support resources. Seems like you're going to a firm, so that is good. Maximize your time there and then leverage your experience.

Fourth, I'd try to get a federal clerkship if I were you. Working either on the district court level or appellate level will make you competitive as a young attorney for an AUSA position.

Fifth, work no less than 3 years, but no more than 5 years in biglaw. Less than 3 years and you won't be as competitive and the starting salary will be crap. More than 5 years and you'll look like a corporate attorney and won't be in quite as good a position to lateral to a USAO office. This is just a rough guide though.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 am

TheProsecutor wrote:You're not doing anything wrong. You are building a good profile to become an AUSA. Becoming an AUSA, however, is a long term strategy.

First, you have to show an interest towards prosecution and public service in some way through you law school career. Typically, students gunning for AUSA positions spend a summer as a USAO office. You being a law clerk at a DA's office for the summer accomplishes the goal.

Second, you want to show that your interest is backed up by an academic level of smarts. Trial Advocacy course is good, attending the conference is good. I think you probably took a number of crim law and crim procedure classes which are all good.

Third, you want to get into biglaw or a regional firm that sends kids to AUSA offices or accepts AUSAs for partnership. Start working in litigation. Do pro bono work to get into court. Work for key partners and get them on your side so that when you lateral you can use them as strong support resources. Seems like you're going to a firm, so that is good. Maximize your time there and then leverage your experience.

Fourth, I'd try to get a federal clerkship if I were you. Working either on the district court level or appellate level will make you competitive as a young attorney for an AUSA position.

Fifth, work no less than 3 years, but no more than 5 years in biglaw. Less than 3 years and you won't be as competitive and the starting salary will be crap. More than 5 years and you'll look like a corporate attorney and won't be in quite as good a position to lateral to a USAO office. This is just a rough guide though.

TYFT. Also, I'm not the OP. Just an 0L here looking for this type of advice for the future.

Return to “Legal Employment”