Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273590
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 3:10 am

My (non-biglaw) 1L firm established an expectation that I would let them know, at the end of my 2L summer with another firm, whether I would like to accept their offer of permanent employment. I liked the firm and recognize that I am in a good position. However, the firm is not located in my first or second choice of location. It's in a place I never really considered, and I could call my feelings toward the area "apathetic" at best.

My 2L firm is a possibility for permanent employment, but based on what I know now, the 1L job is probably better.

I've noticed that jobs are picking up a bit. My peers in 2L Spring have started to get work coming in a bit more regularly, and it seems nearly as many students got jobs this semester as did from Fall OCI. Several previously-unemployed 3L's I know were actually able to find good jobs late in the game as well. All of that said, there's no way I should pass up on an offer on the table, right? Am I missing something? Is there any creative solution to this, or does anyone have experience being in this situation where you like an offer but don't want to commit yet? Do biglaw firms ask for a commitment at the end of 2L summer as well? It would help me to know the industry standard. Ultimately, I would love a chance to try for my top location, but that seems risky no matter how I approach it.

(TL;DR: see bolded)

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby Veyron » Tue May 01, 2012 3:31 am

Some will extend offers on the last day of the SA. NALP guidelines give you a certain amount of time to accept/decline (I think about a month but could be wrong). However, its probably bad form not to accept on the spot. Other firms don't extend offers until some time after the SA has ended. Guidelines still apply.

smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby smittytron3k » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 am

Veyron wrote: However, its probably bad form not to accept on the spot.


Huge disagree - for instance, if you are even thinking about clerking, it's very ill-advised to accept a permanent offer of employment right away.

run26.2
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby run26.2 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:My (non-biglaw) 1L firm established an expectation that I would let them know, at the end of my 2L summer with another firm, whether I would like to accept their offer of permanent employment. I liked the firm and recognize that I am in a good position. However, the firm is not located in my first or second choice of location. It's in a place I never really considered, and I could call my feelings toward the area "apathetic" at best.

My 2L firm is a possibility for permanent employment, but based on what I know now, the 1L job is probably better.

I've noticed that jobs are picking up a bit. My peers in 2L Spring have started to get work coming in a bit more regularly, and it seems nearly as many students got jobs this semester as did from Fall OCI. Several previously-unemployed 3L's I know were actually able to find good jobs late in the game as well. All of that said, there's no way I should pass up on an offer on the table, right? Am I missing something? Is there any creative solution to this, or does anyone have experience being in this situation where you like an offer but don't want to commit yet? Do biglaw firms ask for a commitment at the end of 2L summer as well? It would help me to know the industry standard. Ultimately, I would love a chance to try for my top location, but that seems risky no matter how I approach it.

(TL;DR: see bolded)

NALP Guildelines recommend firms keep offers open until 11/1 of a law student's final year (see Part V.B.3, http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinciplesandstandards). While these are only guidelines, reputable employers will follow them. Still, you should probably confirm with your employer that the offer conforms with the guidelines.

What this means is that you can do 3L OCI or mass mailing at the start of your first 3L semester. You should be careful if you do this, though, as you can foster ill-will with a firm that might still be your future employer. They will understand that you are looking if you don't respond quickly. But it is best for all involved that you're pretty confident you are at the right place when you start off your career, so I think they understand if you need to weigh your other options.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby KMaine » Tue May 01, 2012 8:55 am

It is not bad form at all not to accept on the spot.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby dood » Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 am

All big law offer at end of 2L summer, some right away, some in the days/weeks after. never "bad form" not accepting on spot. ur problem has a pretty clear solution. accept all, renege if u can trade up.

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Accepting Offer During 2L SA / Sacrificing 3L Opportunities

Postby Glock » Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 pm

dood wrote:All big law offer at end of 2L summer, some right away, some in the days/weeks after. never "bad form" not accepting on spot. ur problem has a pretty clear solution. accept all, renege if u can trade up.



It's shitty but it is reality.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.