3L Accepted Job, Networking for Different Job in New Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Accepted Job, Networking for Different Job in New Market

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:18 pm

(3L) I accepted a job this fall and now, due to personal circumstances (that are good enough in order to take this risk), am trying to get a job in new geographic market as soon as possible. It's a non-nalp firm in a geographic market totally unconnected from new market.

People close to me have put me in touch with lawyers in new market, and I have meetings with them set up. I know this is going to be sticky, but any advice on how I can best approach this situation?

Option A: Be upfront that I accepted offer already, things changed, and I am looking to never go to new firm and work in new city in fall.
Option B: Be upfront about situation and tell them I'd like to work in new city sometime in near future.
Option C: Don't be upfront unless they ask

Thanks!

Younger Abstention

Re: 3L Accepted Job, Networking for Different Job in New Market

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 am

I don't understand your A and B, but obviously it needs to be one of those. The one that says that circumstances changed, and you intend to stay in the city where the firm you are trying to now move to is located.

Return to “Legal Employment”