4th of July Holiday Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desertlaw

Silver

4th of July Holiday

Post by desertlaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Bunch of 2L's last night were arguing what BigLaw firms do when 4th of July falls on the middle of the week, as it does this year. It's on a Wednesday. So what happens?

1) You get only the 4th off.

2) You get the 4th off, as well as Friday or Monday to give you a long weekend.

3) You only get Friday or Monday off.

4) You get no time off. Keep billing.

(By "off" - I mean, office is closed and you don't need to come in).

NinerFan

Bronze

Re: 4th of July Holiday

Post by NinerFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:01 pm

You're just looking for guesses? It's a "holiday" but some people will be in the office and some people will be working from home. Depends on the individual's situation.

Jhuen_the_bird

New

Post by Jhuen_the_bird » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:09 am

At my firm: Office closed, but if you REALLY want to come in or work from home, then you can ... but you don't have to account for any billable hours that day (can use the "holiday" billing code). If you want to bill some hours, I'm sure you can (and some ppl definitely will).

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 am

I certainly wouldn't expect to get a long weekend out of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 pm

At my (former) biglaw firm, if the 4th is on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday, you only get that day off. If it's on a Tuesday or Thursday, you get four day weekend. If it's on a weekend day, you get the preceding Friday or following Monday off, depending on whether it's Saturday or Sunday.

The rules were the same for Christmas, but not New Year's.

And I actually found it to be pretty rare for people to bill on the 4th, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every other holiday, not so much.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I certainly wouldn't expect to get a long weekend out of it.
At my firm (Michigan based), that week will always be slower because people take weekend trips, even if the 4th falls during the week. People either will take a long weekend before or after. With the day in the middle of the week, I'll likely bill as normal that day and take a long weekend up north.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”