Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:39 pm

I went on an interview at a mid-size firm yesterday and was told that currently there is no full-time position available. The partner I met with said that the department that the position would be for is busy, but not busy enough. He needs to determine if there is enough work to add another associate.

So, I was wondering if it would be ok to include in my thank you email a quick sentence about being considered for part-time work there? Or does that sound too desperate? I am pretty desperate....

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went on an interview at a mid-size firm yesterday and was told that currently there is no full-time position available. The partner I met with said that the department that the position would be for is busy, but not busy enough. He needs to determine if there is enough work to add another associate.

So, I was wondering if it would be ok to include in my thank you email a quick sentence about being considered for part-time work there? Or does that sound too desperate? I am pretty desperate....

Thanks!

It's too bad you didn't think to mention it during your interview.
If you can phrase it right, it can't hurt (at this point, they're not offering you a job anyway)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:00 pm

OP Here: Thanks. I am kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner, I was thinking of maybe writing something along the lines of: "While I am aware that there may not be enough work for a full-time associate, I am willing to consider a part-time position."

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here: Thanks. I am kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner, I was thinking of maybe writing something along the lines of: "While I am aware that there may not be enough work for a full-time associate, I am willing to consider a part-time position."

Is there any legit reason for you to call said partner? It's far easier to do this verbally than in writing (plus it's easier to gauge how the request is/would be perceived)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm

He told me he would prefer email because he's not sure when he's in the office next week. I definitely agree that calling would be best, but I don't want to bother him especially since he told me about his preferred method of communication.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:He told me he would prefer email because he's not sure when he's in the office next week. I definitely agree that calling would be best, but I don't want to bother him especially since he told me about his preferred method of communication.

With "legit" I meant something other than just to say thanks.
If he said email, you're stuck with emai

Try something like: thank you for meeting, yada yada, I really like your firm for XYZ reason. you mentioned you might not be able hire full time; while I'd prefer full time, If only part-time available now, I might consider if likely to lead to full time in near future.

Feel free to be vague/ambiguous/non-committal about part-time. It could help you avoid looking desperate.
Good luck

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:46 pm

How's this?

TYPICAL THANK YOU NOTE STUFF...and then, "While I would prefer a full-time position, I am aware that there may not be enough work to hire on a full-time associate. As such, I am willing to consider a part-time position with the possibility that this will lead to full-time in the near future."

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How's this?

TYPICAL THANK YOU NOTE STUFF...and then, "While I would prefer a full-time position, I am aware that there may not Currently be enough work to hire on a full-time associate. As such, I ammay be willing to consider a part-time position with the possibilityunderstanding that this will lead to full-time in the near future."
make it seem like you're the one doing them a favor
Remember, they're not interviewing for a 1st year wanna-be, they're interviewing for the future lawyer you could become

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks again!

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby MrAnon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm

This doesn't make sense.

You were invited for an interview at a firm that is actually not hiring?

Move on. Don't send the guy some desperate email. If they want you, they'll find you. Either they don't want you, or they don't know what they want.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:16 pm

It was a bizarre experience all together. I actually interviewed there about two months ago and received a rejection letter. They called last week asking for a follow-up interview, saying the position may still be open. And at the interview, the partner basically told me that he needs to determine whether there is enough work to hire on another associate. Odd.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Asking for a Part-Time Associate Position (NEED ADVICE)

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am pretty desperate....




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.