1L Summer Job-Need Honest Opinions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job-Need Honest Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:12 am

Here's my situation: Accepted an internship last week for my 1L summer worried that it would be my only option. I will be getting paid, but not much, via a school stipend. The job involves consumer mediation for a consumer organization which worried me since it isn't as directly "legal" but involves skills that could be seen as useful for the legal field. I took it in a moment of panic, obviously I should have tried harder to get more time to accept or decline their offer, but, I seriously thought this could be it and the idea of nothing was not pretty.

This week out of the blue I got an offer from a prosecutor's office for this summer. I honestly wasn't expecting to get it, and hadn't withdrawn officially for these reasons as I sent in my application several months ago and hadn't interviewed there at all. I'm interested in prosecution/criminal law and definitely drawn more towards litigation in general. If I take this I won't get the stipend, but I could supplement with money set aside for law school (I'd be with family so living expenses wouldn't be a concern, it would be more of having just a bit of cash to be able to enjoy my summer). Of course this means I'd have to make up that money in loans but I would limit that as much as possible and try to make up the money later through a part-time gig, etc.

Also, both are in my target market.

I tried to get advice from my career services office, but of course they are concerned with getting me not to renege on my first offer. They weren't happy but said that it happens and I should think about my decision carefully and if need be they could try and smooth things over with my first offer if I pissed them off with my reneging. Nothing was mentioned about penalties when it comes time for OCI (this wasn't an offer I got through OCI but I'm concerned by reneging might make them limit my participation in OCI for not adhering to their standards).

My question is, is it worth stressing over? I feel like I wouldn't be burning any significant bridges from my first offer as they are more business oriented than a strict legal place, and the second one would look better on my resume when it comes time to find a 2L position. But, is there a huge difference between the two? Am I going through the hassle and taking a small financial hit for nothing? I would just like a perspective from a non-1L as it is so hard to gauge what is the "right" choice to make your 1L summer to benefit your 2L summer. Would the 2nd one actually look better on my resume given my career goals? These are the kinds of questions that worry me, with all the pressure to get the right summer position I just want to make the best choice possible.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Job-Need Honest Opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 am

If you want to do prosecution, renege. Do it carefully and politely and enlist your CSO's help. Prosecutors want to see demonstrated commitment. That being said, my criminal law professors have told me to take a paid job if available for the summer if I will be interning in a prosecutor's office during the school year. So, you could keep the job you have and try to work with the prosecutor next school year instead. That might be best if possible. As a 1L, you won't get to do much at either job so don't let that be a decision maker.

Eco

Postby Eco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 am

If you're ONLY taking the prosecutor job because you think the first one isn't legal, then I wouldn't do it- it sounds like mediation experience etc... would be really good on your resume. On the other hand, if you really like crim. law etc... and you want to work at the prosecutor's office, just renege. You don't have to accept an offer of employment just like an employer doesn't have to hire you even after making an offer.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 am

bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. also the job you have now means income. I don't care how badly you want to be a prosecutor, this is a no brainer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Original poster here, I really appreciate the advice. I'm thinking that parlaying my offer into a school year internship might be the best possibility so that I could have a bit of financial security this summer and still get the experience in the field that I'm interested in. Right now I'm in the middle of finals and this is causing way too much stress. I'll talk to CSO again next week, but does anyone have any advice on that front?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Take the prosecution job. My law school sponsored a mediation training and has a "club" where volunteer mediators (law students) mediate cases in the local courts (small claims stuff). Mediation builds on interpersonal skills, but that's it. A lucrative firm or a prosecutor's office will not spot "mediation" on your resume hire your because of mediation experience.They want to see litigation exposure.
GO for the prosecutor's officer. You will see how crime law plays out in real life and it's what seems to be your desired career path. With the mediator, you might earn some money, but the prosecutor's office will help you build your skills (largely dependant upon if the prosecutor's office takes the opportunity to teach you stuff, rather than abuse the free slave labor)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Skimmed the OP, but no chance of a split?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Don't listen to the CSO's garbage, you need to weigh your own interests and make the best decision for you.

Is there any chance the consumer group will hire you post-grad, and would you even want that job? How much is the stipend, like $3k? It sounds like you are much more interested in prosecution, both for this summer and as a potential career, and if that's true you should take the prosecution job without another thought.

Return to “Legal Employment”