Travel expenses for SAs: How much is too much?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Travel expenses for SAs: How much is too much?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 pm

My firm pays for travel expenses incurred from getting you from your school's area to the firm's area. I will be moving into a semi-furnished sublet, and need to bring some things + a dog. I figured that the cheapest way to travel to the firm would be to rent a car and drive (it would be a couple day's drive), but I'm wary about showing up with a $1100 travel expense that I want reimbursed. Am I thinking too much about this? Should I figure some other way of doing things?

Anonymous User

Re: Travel expenses for SAs: How much is too much?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Does your firm not have an explicit policy?

My firm gave us a sheet that says what is and isn't covered. For us we can get driving expenses reimbursed for our own car, but if we want to rent a car we have to clear it with the firm first. It also says that moving costs for pets aren't covered (though if I were driving they wouldn't have any way to know I was driving to move large objects or for the pet).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:46 pm

My firm pays airfare or reimburses for mileage (up to cost of airfare). No mention of rentals. I'm renting a car and submitting mileage reimbursement, which will let me pretty much break even.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does your firm not have an explicit policy?

My firm gave us a sheet that says what is and isn't covered. For us we can get driving expenses reimbursed for our own car, but if we want to rent a car we have to clear it with the firm first. It also says that moving costs for pets aren't covered (though if I were driving they wouldn't have any way to know I was driving to move large objects or for the pet).

No specifications. Called the travel dept and asked them if renting a car was okay. The lady on the line acted like it was no big deal and said that any rental expenses would "of course, be reimbursed." I wanted to probe a little deeper, but she acted pretty nonchalant about it and I didn't want to be a pest. Still, I don't want to be known as that guy who spent three times the amount other SAs took to get to the firm.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No specifications. Called the travel dept and asked them if renting a car was okay. The lady on the line acted like it was no big deal and said that any rental expenses would "of course, be reimbursed." I wanted to probe a little deeper, but she acted pretty nonchalant about it and I didn't want to be a pest. Still, I don't want to be known as that guy who spent three times the amount other SAs took to get to the firm.

$1100 does seem on the high side (you can normally get coach airfare tickets for 1/3 of that price). My firm reimbursed basically anything, but only up to the cost of what a plane ticket would be, so you may have to pay the difference (especially because your reason for driving is your pet). Obviously, all firms are different, and you may not have a problem, but be prepared to only get ~$400 reimbursed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

$1100 does seem on the high side (you can normally get coach airfare tickets for 1/3 of that price). My firm reimbursed basically anything, but only up to the cost of what a plane ticket would be, so you may have to pay the difference (especially because your reason for driving is your pet). Obviously, all firms are different, and you may not have a problem, but be prepared to only get ~$400 reimbursed.

I would never tell them that my primary reason for driving was my dog (and truthfully, it's not). I have general living things like pans, kitchen knives, pillows, blankets, a coffee maker, a toaster, etc that I need to bring—it seems like a pain in the ass to try to travel on a plane with that stuff.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would never tell them that my primary reason for driving was my dog (and truthfully, it's not). I have general living things like pans, kitchen knives, pillows, blankets, a coffee maker, a toaster, etc that I need to bring—it seems like a pain in the ass to try to travel on a plane with that stuff.

OP is talking about moving. 1,100 dollars in relocation fees is very small. Many firms do 2,000-5,000 dollars. You sound like you dont have much. When I relocate I will be moving an apartment full of furniture/cooking items etc. I wouldnt worry about the 1,100 dollars at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:OP is talking about moving. 1,100 dollars in relocation fees is very small. Many firms do 2,000-5,000 dollars. You sound like you dont have much. When I relocate I will be moving an apartment full of furniture/cooking items etc. I wouldnt worry about the 1,100 dollars at all.

Yeah, but that has to do with actually moving out to the firm full time, right? I will be making this trip at the beginning of the summer, spending a few months at the firm, and then making the trip back. It just seems like a bit much.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:OP is talking about moving. 1,100 dollars in relocation fees is very small. Many firms do 2,000-5,000 dollars. You sound like you dont have much. When I relocate I will be moving an apartment full of furniture/cooking items etc. I wouldnt worry about the 1,100 dollars at all.

Yeah, but that has to do with actually moving out to the firm full time, right? I will be making this trip at the beginning of the summer, spending a few months at the firm, and then making the trip back. It just seems like a bit much.

Ahh I have a rc problem. I saw kitchen knives and toaster and auto assumed moving to start full time (after graduation). That does seem pretty high. Why dont you fly and board your dog (not as expensive) and leave the unnecessary stuff (toaster, knives, etc.) its only a summer. You can go without a toaster and buy plastic utensils

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

thats because it is a bit much. who brings all that shit for a 10 week summer job? at most, you'll be cooking just a few days a week.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Your subletter isn't leaving pots, pans, dishes? You can fit the bare necessities for 10 weeks in normal luggage allowances flights. Buy some paper plates and cups, bring your pet on the flight, if there's anything you really NEED and don't have, buy it used then throw it out.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:46 pm

IAFG wrote:Your subletter isn't leaving pots, pans, dishes? You can fit the bare necessities for 10 weeks in normal luggage allowances flights. Buy some paper plates and cups, bring your pet on the flight, if there's anything you really NEED and don't have, buy it used then throw it out.

Yea, my firm just booked me a flight.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm pays for travel expenses incurred from getting you from your school's area to the firm's area. I will be moving into a semi-furnished sublet, and need to bring some things + a dog. I figured that the cheapest way to travel to the firm would be to rent a car and drive (it would be a couple day's drive), but I'm wary about showing up with a $1100 travel expense that I want reimbursed. Am I thinking too much about this? Should I figure some other way of doing things?

Why is this car rental costing $1100?! I rented a U-Haul to move 1500 miles - that plus two nights in a hotel was only like $700.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm pays for travel expenses incurred from getting you from your school's area to the firm's area. I will be moving into a semi-furnished sublet, and need to bring some things + a dog. I figured that the cheapest way to travel to the firm would be to rent a car and drive (it would be a couple day's drive), but I'm wary about showing up with a $1100 travel expense that I want reimbursed. Am I thinking too much about this? Should I figure some other way of doing things?

Why is this car rental costing $1100?! I rented a U-Haul to move 1500 miles - that plus two nights in a hotel was only like $700.

A U-Haul rental, two nights at a hotel, and 1500 miles worth of gas was really only $700?

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

A U-Haul rental, two nights at a hotel, and 1500 miles worth of gas was really only $700?

Let's not forget the day spa and theme park visits.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Why would you need 2 nights in a hotel? I drove from LA to Austin by myself multiple times. Only stopped for coffee and gas. You can drive 24 hours straight, dont be a wussssss

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:43 pm

I agree that you should fly and then go to Target and spend $50 on a couple of pots and pans if you need it.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:55 pm

You're not going to be known as "that guy" who used $1100 to move, but instead you'll be "that guy" who brought everything he owns for a 10 week SA.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:55 pm

thelawyler wrote:You're not going to be known as "that guy" who used $1100 to move, but instead you'll be "that guy" who brought everything he owns for a 10 week SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Do all biglaw firms pay for SA travel expenses? My firm (V50) hasn't mentioned anything about this at this point...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 01, 2012 8:52 pm

My V50 didn't do this at all.

Return to “Legal Employment”