Is it enough? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it enough?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Ok, so I am in the top 25% at a t40 school, and (surprise surprise) my job search didn't turn out that well for this summer. I had a few offers for unpaid positions, but I couldn't make the finances work to take them. I have accepted working 20 hrs a week as an RA for a moderately big time professor (multiple textbooks/ writes 2 e&e) and will be researching on new regulations in a field I want to practice. I will be doing a lot of writing over the summer and responsible for writing the drafts for a LR article that will be published in August.

I was considering trying to find another job working w/ a local clinic that is unpaid to supplement the RA position w/ some practical experience, but my financial situation has changed. I have a standing offer for an non-law part-time job in my hometown that is fairly lucrative (~$600 weekly for only 20 hrs a week). I might be able to RA remotely for the summer and take this job, so my question is - is RA-ing for 1L summer employment enough to not kill my chances at 2L employment and a lifetime of happiness? Thanks

Diamond

Re: Is it enough?

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so I am in the top 25% at a t40 school, and (surprise surprise) my job search didn't turn out that well for this summer. I had a few offers for unpaid positions, but I couldn't make the finances work to take them. I have accepted working 20 hrs a week as an RA for a moderately big time professor (multiple textbooks/ writes 2 e&e) and will be researching on new regulations in a field I want to practice. I will be doing a lot of writing over the summer and responsible for writing the drafts for a LR article that will be published in August.

I was considering trying to find another job working w/ a local clinic that is unpaid to supplement the RA position w/ some practical experience, but my financial situation has changed. I have a standing offer for an non-law part-time job in my hometown that is fairly lucrative (~$600 weekly for only 20 hrs a week). I might be able to RA remotely for the summer and take this job, so my question is - is RA-ing for 1L summer employment enough to not kill my chances at 2L employment and a lifetime of happiness? Thanks
Yea, RAing is fine.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:46 pm

No one gives a flying fuck what you did during your cute little 1L summer.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:No one gives a flying fuck what you did during your cute little 1L summer...
...so long as there's something law-related going on. RA'ing counts, so you're in good shape.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:No one gives a flying fuck what you did during your cute little 1L summer.
Well put, Holmes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:50 am

Wow I thought you were a 2L when I read all this. A 1L? You're FINE. Just RA and take the paid job too. lol.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Lol some of the tippy top students in my class RA'd their 1L summer. If anything, it's a great way to get close to a professor and get a better recommendation.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:29 am

I RA'ed for more than 1 professor even though I had a firm job.
hours are so flexible. plus you got invited to luncheon with other RAs. It's not exactly enjoyable but you get one more reference for a few hours of work per week.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so I am in the top 25% at a t40 school, and (surprise surprise) my job search didn't turn out that well for this summer. I had a few offers for unpaid positions, but I couldn't make the finances work to take them. I have accepted working 20 hrs a week as an RA for a moderately big time professor (multiple textbooks/ writes 2 e&e) and will be researching on new regulations in a field I want to practice. I will be doing a lot of writing over the summer and responsible for writing the drafts for a LR article that will be published in August.

I was an RA as were a number of my friends, it really had no impact on employment prospects for BigLaw. It may be different if you want BigGov or something.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I think RAing is enough, but I would also try to get some practical skills. Knowing how to do practical legal work puts you way head of the competition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”