info interview q's: meeting at coffee shop, morning, etc...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

info interview q's: meeting at coffee shop, morning, etc...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 am

Questions are:

business casual or suit? I have been on a few info interviews and I always wear a suit. However, this is my first morning- over coffee one, and my gut says business casual. Basically, I feel like a suit at 9:30am at the local downtown coffee shop would be a bit much. Thoughts?

Ordering: I dont drink coffee, never have. It was the attorneys idea for the spot so any alternatives would be welcome. Someone recomended tea, but truth is I'm a guy and drinking tea feels, well, you know.

*The attorney is a partner at a big law firm (secondary market) and already turned me down for a job but agreed to meet with me to discuss the market (if this info helps any).

Thanks.

slyyr

Re: info interview q's: meeting at coffee shop, morning, etc...

Postby slyyr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:39 am

If he says anything tell him the entire British empire was built on cups of tea.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 am

I think tea is fine, if you don't want that, every coffee shop I've ever been in sells prepackaged orange juice, which seems perfectly acceptable at 9:30 in the morning. You can always just ask for water, too. You don't have to order something non-water.

As for the suit...I don't know, if it's an actual interview as opposed to just a meeting over coffee, I'd go with however the lawyers at the office dress. Ok, I'd probably wear a suit anyway because for interviews I'd always rather be over dressed than under dressed. But if it's a firm that wears suits, wear a suit, because they wear their suits all day, even when they get coffee at 9am.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:18 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I think tea is fine, if you don't want that, every coffee shop I've ever been in sells prepackaged orange juice, which seems perfectly acceptable at 9:30 in the morning. You can always just ask for water, too. You don't have to order something non-water.

As for the suit...I don't know, if it's an actual interview as opposed to just a meeting over coffee, I'd go with however the lawyers at the office dress. Ok, I'd probably wear a suit anyway because for interviews I'd always rather be over dressed than under dressed. But if it's a firm that wears suits, wear a suit, because they wear their suits all day, even when they get coffee at 9am.

Why would anyone where a suit to a coffee chat? Informational interviews are about networking, not about interviewing for a job. You should be relaxed and informal.

No one cares what you order at the coffee shop
(though I would advise against Irish coffees in this setting).

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:26 pm

I wear khakis and a button down shirt to all of mine. Do not wear a suit. You will look out of place.

I also don't drink coffee and always order hot chocolate or chai tea. No one gives a shit if you aren't drinking coffee. I'm debating whether or not to question whether you're trying to compensate for something but I'll resist for now.

Don't think of this person as a big law partner on a pedestal. Just go in to meet with him and get any insight you can. Also don't forget to ask at the end if he has anyone else he would suggest you speak with given your interests (key to building your network if you didn't already know).

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Wear slacks and a collared shirt (a polo is totally fine). No tie, no jacket.

Just get bottled water to drink.

Relax and approach it like you're out with a new friend. Ultimately, people like helping people they like. It's already a good sign that he's meeting up with you. Have fun! :)

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Well that's why I said 'if this is an actual interview'

as opposed to an informational interview, which I don't consider an actual interview, it's not like at the end of it you will either a) be offered a job or b) not be offered a job.

Obviously, if this is an informational, 'let's chat about my business' type meeting, that would be in the 'meeting over coffee' category...I don't see how my categories were unclear, but if they were, then I apologize. Obviously you don't wear a suit to meet someone over coffee to talk about what they do.

EDIT *Ha, I swear to GOD that last sentence explaining he was just meeting for that reason was not there when I looked the first time, it was probably hidden under the notes I'm supposed to be studying for my final. READING FAIL. :) Sorry
Last edited by sidhesadie on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I think business casual makes the most sense. Also, funny line about my issues with tea. Not trying to overcompensate (i think at least) just that I'm in NY and tea isnt really something we drink.

Anyways, I am sure I am making more out of these "problems" than I should, but I guess thats what this market will do to you.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Regarding coffee decision, there's a perceivable difference between ordering a raspberry mint tea/chai tea latte and ordering English breakfast tea

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 pm

emptyflare wrote:Regarding coffee decision, there's a perceivable difference between ordering a raspberry mint tea/chai tea latte and ordering English breakfast tea

I dont know, I'm upstate and in these cities you can get the shit kicked out of you for ordering tea, lol.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
emptyflare wrote:Regarding coffee decision, there's a perceivable difference between ordering a raspberry mint tea/chai tea latte and ordering English breakfast tea

I dont know, I'm upstate and in these cities you can get the shit kicked out of you for ordering tea, lol.

Then order coffee. I mean if I was going to get the shit kicked out of me for ordering tea I suppose I would order coffee, but I have never seen that anywhere in my time on this Earth.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 pm

haha fair enough. Can you order a coffee and sip at it (or pretend to sip at it) throughout the conversation?

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 pm

emptyflare wrote:Can you order a coffee ... (pretend to sip at it) throughout the conversation?

Please don't do this. Pretty please?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah, the former are drinkable and the latter tastes like barkdust.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Not OP (and sorry to necro, but it's relevant).

I have a networking meeting with a partner from a pretty big law firm coming up. As far as I know, it's in their offices (i.e. not meeting for coffee). Suit or business casual?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue May 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP (and sorry to necro, but it's relevant).

I have a networking meeting with a partner from a pretty big law firm coming up. As far as I know, it's in their offices (i.e. not meeting for coffee). Suit or business casual?

The dressier side of business casual...unless it's Quinn, then the casual side of business casual. You basically should look like you work there, except you'll be better rested and slightly more polished than the associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Lwoods wrote:

The dressier side of business casual...unless it's Quinn, then the casual side of business casual. You basically should look like you work there, except you'll be better rested and slightly more polished than the associates.

So dress pants, dress shirt, cardigan, heels?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

So dress pants, dress shirt, cardigan, heels?

Assuming you're a woman, that works. Few big firms if any are progressive enough for transvestites. ;)

I might go with a blouse and a pencil skirt, though. I've been told cardigans make women look too much like secretaries.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Lwoods wrote:Assuming you're a woman, that works. Few big firms if any are progressive enough for transvestites. ;)

I might go with a blouse and a pencil skirt, though. I've been told cardigans make women look too much like secretaries.

Ha! Wouldn't that make an impression?!

Thanks for the advice. I feel like men have it so much easier. :|

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lwoods wrote:Assuming you're a woman, that works. Few big firms if any are progressive enough for transvestites. ;)

Ha! Wouldn't that make an impression?!

Thanks for the advice. I feel like men have it so much easier. :|

Easier, but much less fun. 8) And men have a harder time with slight variations up or down in dressiness. Women can really fine-tune it.

Return to “Legal Employment”