Loyola Background Poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What's your background?

Biology
21%
Chemistry
21%
Computer Science
7%
Electrical Engineering
21%
Math/Statistics/Theoretical
No votes
Mechanical/Aerospace/Architectural
7%
Mixed core science (like biochem,biomed)
21%
Petroleum/Oil & Gas
No votes
Pharmacy/Medical
No votes
Physics
No votes

Total votes: 14

turbotong

Loyola Background Poll

Postby turbotong » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:06 pm

What's your background going into Loyola Patent Fair?
I tried to be inclusive, but TLS allows only 10 options. Please leave a comment if I left your background out!

turbotong

Re: Loyola Background Poll

Postby turbotong » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 pm

It would also be nice if people left comments with stats (background, appx school range, appx rank, target geographic market, desired lit/pros, anything else special)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:14 pm

This is dumb. You aren't going to get a good sample, and even if you did what will it tell you. Study for finals bro.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Might give you an idea as to what backgrounds/areas are being overbid.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 pm

and what would i do with that information? change my degree?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:20 pm

turbotong wrote:Might give you an idea as to what backgrounds/areas are being overbid.

So what happens when you find out 35% are EE's. What if the demand for EE's is 50%? Then EE is being underbid even though it's the largest background being represented.

Whether you get a B+ or an A- in Crim is of greater importance here bro.

and what would i do with that information? change my degree?

lol

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Well you could change your geographic target (ex. surprising number of people want to work in VA near the PTO --> you can target NY or IL or Cali or TX), be more motivated to get that A in crim law knowing you have stiff competition (oh shit, everyone has my degree!), or lower your firm standards (bid on the firms more likely to hire you and waste fewer bids on the top players)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:50 pm

turbotong wrote:Well you could change your geographic target (ex. surprising number of people want to work in VA near the PTO --> you can target NY or IL or Cali or TX), be more motivated to get that A in crim law knowing you have stiff competition (oh shit, everyone has my degree!), or lower your firm standards (bid on the firms more likely to hire you and waste fewer bids on the top players)

You are really going to make life altering decisions on what will best be an nonrandom, small sampling of at most 20-30 people? That is dumb as fuck son. Also, you probably are going to have a bad time, if you bid in IL, NOVA or Texas without ties.

target

Postby target » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
turbotong wrote:Well you could change your geographic target (ex. surprising number of people want to work in VA near the PTO --> you can target NY or IL or Cali or TX), be more motivated to get that A in crim law knowing you have stiff competition (oh shit, everyone has my degree!), or lower your firm standards (bid on the firms more likely to hire you and waste fewer bids on the top players)

You are really going to make life altering decisions on what will best be an nonrandom, small sampling of at most 20-30 people? That is dumb as fuck son. Also, you probably are going to have a bad time, if you bid in IL, NOVA or Texas without ties.

wonder if you have any statistic on texas. I have my extensive family (e.g. aunts and uncles) who live in Houston, and I only plan to bid on houston office. any insight?

Emu Flu

Postby Emu Flu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I've found NOVA to be accessible for patent prosecutors without ties.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm

target wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

wonder if you have any statistic on texas. I have my extensive family (e.g. aunts and uncles) who live in Houston, and I only plan to bid on houston office. any insight?

Texas firms I saw at OCI were like "LOL NO" when I said my gf's sister lives there. I think you'll need more ties. But someone on the other thread said he got offers without ties. Who knows.

Honestly, if you are just doing it for backup I'd bid California instead.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Emu Flu wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I've found NOVA to be accessible for patent prosecutors without ties.

That makes sense.

target

Postby target » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Texas firms I saw at OCI were like "LOL NO" when I said my gf's sister lives there. I think you'll need more ties. But someone on the other thread said he got offers without ties. Who knows.

Honestly, if you are just doing it for backup I'd bid California instead.

yeah, I probably will do that since I have stronger ties to CA than TX. But I wonder how many people sugarcoat living in hot and humid Houston just for the mere chance of getting a SA

Return to “Legal Employment”