Fordham 3l Job prospects...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovemike425

Fordham 3l Job prospects...

Postby ilovemike425 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:04 pm

For any Fordham 3l,

Please tell me about the job prospects for you and your friends going into law firms. What are the starting salaries? Who gets the 160k jobs? For those who aren't getting 160k, what are they getting? What happens to the people who finish in the bottom half? How hard is it to find a job? And, are the job prospects what you expected when you began law school?

Thank you

MrAnon

Re: Fordham 3l Job prospects...

Postby MrAnon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 pm

ilovemike425 wrote:For any Fordham 3l,

Please tell me about the job prospects for you and your friends going into law firms. What are the starting salaries? Who gets the 160k jobs? For those who aren't getting 160k, what are they getting? What happens to the people who finish in the bottom half? How hard is it to find a job? And, are the job prospects what you expected when you began law school?

Thank you

You are a 3L now? At this point just focus on passing the bar. I know a very attractive female who found a firm job paying around 60k to start as a 3L before graduation. She was bottom half.

The job prospects as I read them are that 25% of the class gets biglaw, 20% or more is unemployed at graduation and the rest are somewhere in between. So as long as you keep that in mind I don't think the end results for anyone should be particularly surprising. My impression is that for the 25% of the class that gets biglaw then law school was worth it. For the 75% who did not? I'd suggest they try to find work after college, see if they like it, and continue on the path if they do. I think if its impossible for you to find work after college because you are a bad interviewer or lack social skills then law school won't make you more marketable.

ilovemike425

Postby ilovemike425 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Also, for those who took out big loans (over 100k), was it worth it?

I'm a prospective student.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:31 pm

MrAnon wrote:

Thank you

You are a 3L now? At this point just focus on passing the bar. I know a very attractive female who found a firm job paying around 60k to start as a 3L before graduation. She was bottom half.

The job prospects as I read them are that 25% of the class gets biglaw, 20% or more is unemployed at graduation and the rest are somewhere in between. So as long as you keep that in mind I don't think the end results for anyone should be particularly surprising. My impression is that for the 25% of the class that gets biglaw then law school was worth it. For the 75% who did not? I'd suggest they try to find work after college, see if they like it, and continue on the path if they do. I think if its impossible for you to find work after college because you are a bad interviewer or lack social skills then law school won't make you more marketable.

What is "somewhere in between?" You can't be a little bit pregnant. Either you have a job at graduation that will pay the bills or you don't.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:39 pm

wiseowl wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Thank you

What is "somewhere in between?" You can't be a little bit pregnant. Either you have a job at graduation that will pay the bills or you don't.

The people in the in between find jobs. I have known people that went the DA route. I assume they have loans. I assume they enroll in some kind of loan forgiveness program. I know other people that went to work at smaller firms. I have no idea how much they pay. My guess is anywhere from 50k to 80k.

Return to “Legal Employment”