Biglaw 3L recruiting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw 3L recruiting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 am

When do most Biglaw firms usually decide if they're going to bring on 3L's apart from the clerks they had during the summer? If the economy can keep getting better, it seems like there might be more jobs for the class of 2013 in big firms.

I would think these firms would normally wait until after the summer. Is August/September usually the time frame?

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw 3L recruiting

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 am

A V100 firm sought resumes from my career counselor in November '11, called me in mid-December to set up an interview for January, and made an offer in early February to begin work this fall. Based on my experience (I received another offer to interview shortly after accepting the position in February), it seems like end of the year is the norm, but I'm sure it's different with every firm depending on their needs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:23 pm

The firm I got an offer from set up an interview with me in August 2011, waited until February 2012 to extend offer. So they may look into you at the end of the summer, make final decision about available spots / offer towards end of the year or beginning of the next year

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 pm

link to economy getting better?

pretty much all economic indicators are weak in the last two months, Europe continues to be a disaster, another biglaw firm (Dewey) could fold any day now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 pm

At my CCN, we already have the employers seeking 3Ls at OCI posted. (There are usually a few more later, but the current list is up.)

It's basically every IP firm, a few mid-law firms, various boutiques (tax, lit, etc.), and Cravath, Simpson, Cleary, Latham, Paul Weiss, Boies, Clifford Chance and Cooley. Presumably, those are the biglaw firms that didn't get quite as many people to accept their summer offers as they'd hoped. I would guess that's the best way for them to decide, since most people will accept their offers at the end of the summer. (Even if they're not super excited about their summer firm, most people don't have a second choice.)

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:At my CCN, we already have the employers seeking 3Ls at OCI posted. (There are usually a few more later, but the current list is up.)

It's basically every IP firm, a few mid-law firms, various boutiques (tax, lit, etc.), and Cravath, Simpson, Cleary, Latham, Paul Weiss, Boies, Clifford Chance and Cooley. Presumably, those are the biglaw firms that didn't get quite as many people to accept their summer offers as they'd hoped. I would guess that's the best way for them to decide, since most people will accept their offers at the end of the summer. (Even if they're not super excited about their summer firm, most people don't have a second choice.)

Eh, I think a lot of those firms are poaching, not filling in gaps by a low-yield summer class.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:At my CCN, we already have the employers seeking 3Ls at OCI posted. (There are usually a few more later, but the current list is up.)

Damn that's early. You send in your resume without having started your summer job or are the employers just putting people on notice now and then you apply later?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:00 pm

MrAnon wrote:link to economy getting better?

pretty much all economic indicators are weak in the last two months, Europe continues to be a disaster, another biglaw firm (Dewey) could fold any day now.

Dewey's problems have nothing to do with economic indicators and Europe and everything to do with a suicidal funding strategy and (alleged) criminal activity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 pm

MrAnon wrote:link to economy getting better?

The DOW is the best indicator of the economy and it's up over 2% in the past two months. That's pretty strong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:43 pm

NinerFan wrote:

Eh, I think a lot of those firms are poaching, not filling in gaps by a low-yield summer class.

Same thing; I meant it from the firm's perspective. Cravath, Simpson, Cleary, etc. wouldn't need to poach anyone if their summer class was as large as they had planned; it isn't as if they're going to no-offer anyone and then replace them with a 3L hire. Doesn't mean any of those firms will hire anyone who doesn't have a 2L SA.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Same thing; I meant it from the firm's perspective. Cravath, Simpson, Cleary, etc. wouldn't need to poach anyone if their summer class was as large as they had planned; it isn't as if they're going to no-offer anyone and then replace them with a 3L hire. Doesn't mean any of those firms will hire anyone who doesn't have a 2L SA.

Yes, Cravath, Simpson, PW, and Cleary will generally be interested only in people who have V100 SAs and want to trade up. That does not mean you shouldn't throw them a bid if they open up on add/drop. They will open up because a lot of people bid at 3L OCI before they get offers and then cancel the week of 3L OCI. So if you sit on add/drop for two days you should see interviews open up. They actually come all at once sometimes in the afternoon on each day of add/drop.

I have know people who have traded up without 2L SAs. It is possible with a huge grade bump, like Kent scholar at CLS, and good 1L grades as well (like Stone to Kent).

Clifford Chance will probably be interested in people without 2L SAs if you can make a compelling case for whatever practice area they are hiring for.

Cooley seemed to be very aggressively pursuing people last year but I didn't hear of any actual callbacks. They may be a firm that interviews with no intention of making callbacks. Latham and Shearman also did this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:12 pm

If you went Callback-->ding at a firm during 2L OCI, is it unheard of to snag an offer from the same firm 3L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you went Callback-->ding at a firm during 2L OCI, is it unheard of to snag an offer from the same firm 3L?

Curious in this too. went on a callback (v25) --> ding, now working for a regional biglaw for the summer.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you went Callback-->ding at a firm during 2L OCI, is it unheard of to snag an offer from the same firm 3L?

Don't know about an offer, but I interviewed three times with the same firm and got to the callback stage on the last go around- 2L OCI, 3L OCI, and responding to a job posting spring semester of 3L.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Really? I was lead to believe that some of these top firms purposely leave some spots open to poach with during 3L OCI. Don't they almost always do 3L OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Really? I was lead to believe that some of these top firms purposely leave some spots open to poach with during 3L OCI. Don't they almost always do 3L OCI?

I think Cravath is the only firm on that list that always does 3L OCI. Last year, I know Davis hired something like 5 new 3Ls from my school, but they're not even interviewing this year (at least, not yet; they could always sign up later, I suppose), while Simpson didn't interview 3Ls last year but is this year.

Return to “Legal Employment”