Summer Funding Dilema Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Funding Dilema

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi,

I am a 2L at a T20 and just got into a federal agency summer program, which is the good news. The dilema is that I don't have any $ and it doesn't pay. I want to take the job but am wondering what people do to make ends meet if they are going for the summer with no pay. Usually, some sort of public interest funding is the answer. Public interest wasn't my original plan, however, because I had a firm job lined up that fell through (damn economy). I never applied for summer funding for two reasons. First, I didn't know I'd need it, and second, the federal agency gave me the offer after the summer funding deadlines have passed. Other than working part time, does anyone know about grants for people who fell through the cracks like this?

-Anon

FlanAl

Silver

Re: Summer Funding Dilema

Post by FlanAl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I think you can get loans for the summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:04 pm

FlanAl wrote:I think you can get loans for the summer?
OP Here:

Right. Non-debt, though, is clearly preferable. Still, nothing is off the table at this point.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:10 pm

its pretty late to get any funding from public interest/service groups. but it's worth a shot to ask around at your school about any available stipends. you can always take out some school loans. maybe try borrowing from a relative? or a part-time job at night? you can probably scrape by this summer on 2-3k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Norwood wrote:its pretty late to get any funding from public interest/service groups. but it's worth a shot to ask around at your school about any available stipends. you can always take out some school loans. maybe try borrowing from a relative? or a part-time job at night? you can probably scrape by this summer on 2-3k.
OP Here:

Ramen diet, here I come!

:lol:

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:24 pm

yup, it sucks but we've all done it before. if it makes you feel better, there are thousands of other starving 1 and 2Ls out there since only a very small handful of internships pay these days. Did you take out loans for the spring semester? will you have any left over?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”