IL SA lead to 2L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IL SA lead to 2L SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:37 pm

I have a V10 SA position as a !L---its in the city I want to be in and at a firm I want to be at after graduation....anyone have experience or know how often these lead to a 2L gig if you want one--then not really needing to do OCI either? Is this normally a conversation that happens towards the end of summer?

Anonymous User

Re: IL SA lead to 2L SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:03 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm

How did you get the SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 pm

I had a 1L SA.

They gave me a permanent offer on the condition that I come back for a portion of the 2L summer. Will be spending the rest of 2L at a different firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a 1L SA.

They gave me a permanent offer on the condition that I come back for a portion of the 2L summer. Will be spending the rest of 2L at a different firm.

Did you have option to spend the entire 2L summer there of did they only allow a portion of your summer?

I got it by applying, interviewing, and accepting (mass-mail)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a V10 SA position as a !L---its in the city I want to be in and at a firm I want to be at after graduation....anyone have experience or know how often these lead to a 2L gig if you want one--then not really needing to do OCI either? Is this normally a conversation that happens towards the end of summer?

Depends on what V10. Some firms (Wachtell as an example) explicitly state that they won't bring back 1Ls as 2Ls unless they go through the entire interview process as a 2L and get it like everyone else. I think the majority of firms invite you back for another go round barring major grade drops and as long as you produce satisfactory work as a 1L.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is relevant to my interests.

did you just tag a thread anonymously?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a 1L SA.

Did you have option to spend the entire 2L summer there of did they only allow a portion of your summer?

I got it by applying, interviewing, and accepting (mass-mail)

No option to spend the whole summer. But, I had an offer for after graduation, so it did not really matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:22 pm

angrybird wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is relevant to my interests.

did you just tag a thread anonymously?

It was more of a "bump," but...uh...yeah.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Similar situation. My understanding is that 1Ls are typically asked back at a rate that mirrors 2Ls. This normally entails returning for 3-4 weeks during your 2L summer in order to receive a permanent offer. Does anyone know if they are tougher on 1Ls for the grade-drop and work product caveats?

I have heard not, but I want to confirm...

(This is excluding the firms that do not allow you to return the second summer.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:25 pm

also in the same position...1L SA position with a v100 through an official "diversity" program (i'm white though...)

grades first semester were in the top 5%, and i'm currently freaking out because it's very easy to drop below that...firm only has 5 people total coming for the summer and they do this because they don't want to "cut" people. if there is a grade drop, will summer work product fix that?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also in the same position...1L SA position with a v100 through an official "diversity" program (i'm white though...)

grades first semester were in the top 5%, and i'm currently freaking out because it's very easy to drop below that...firm only has 5 people total coming for the summer and they do this because they don't want to "cut" people. if there is a grade drop, will summer work product fix that?

How good is your school? Would you not be able to get a 2L offer through OCI/mass mail outside of top 10%?

Return to “Legal Employment”