Firm Softball Team

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Softball Team

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 am

I'll be a SA in about a month; my firm has a softball team and they asked me to play. I have to play, right?

I want to play, but I haven't played baseball/softball since little league, and I wasn't very good then. I'm athletic - I wrestled in high school/college, I golf well enough, I'm pretty good at basketball and football, but I probably stink at softball. I figure this is the kind of thing they expect male SAs to participate in, and its probably a good way to network with people at the firm. I think going out there and being awful is still better than not participating at all, and possibly being viewed as someone who doesn't want to be involved in activities (i.e., someone who doesn't "fit" with the firm). Agree?

KMaine

Re: Firm Softball Team

Postby KMaine » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 am

Play, and HAVE FUN! Based on your description, you will be one of the best players on your team (unless you are going to Ropes in Boston).

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I figure this is the kind of thing they expect male SAs to participate in, and its probably a good way to network with people at the firm.

:roll:

You got it, breh. Just participate in all the events and, if they suck, at least act like you're having a good time.

Advice for the 2L SA cohort this summer: ditch the tendency to over-think your summer - it's wasted energy.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 am

yeah dude no one is expecting you to be matt kemp out there or something, its just a way to socialize and have some fun.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:12 am

Had a friend who grounded into a double play to end a game after committing an error earlier in the game and was no-offered.

Just kidding. Join it and have fun.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 am

My dream is to get a SA somewhere next year that has a softball team that they care about. Id get an offer.

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 am

bport hopeful wrote:My dream is to get a SA somewhere next year that has a softball team that they care about. Id get an offer.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46 am

I'm not sure if my firm has a softball team, but have a related question worth asking. I have a non-obvious disability that makes any kind of fast-moving/semi-contact sport (baseball, Frisbee, basketball, softball, touch-football) a no-go for me. This was awkward during my 1L summer internship because I always begged off on account of a "bad back" because the boss expected all interns to play if they showed up to the softball game. I feel like you aren't supposed to say "no" as an SA, so how do I explain it without being tagged as the "non-team player" or "loner"? I checked off the "disability" box on the EEOC reporting form they gave me, but they didn't ask for details.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:52 am

Any reason why you can't just be honest about your disability, and make it known to a select number of people if asked to play?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Any reason why you can't just be honest about your disability, and make it known to a select number of people if asked to play?

ya i mean most lawyers aren't lunatics, if you can't do something because of a disability then you can't do it. if all the other SAs are playing, see if there is another way you can be involved. all this shit is just about getting to know each other anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:13 pm

traehekat wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:Any reason why you can't just be honest about your disability, and make it known to a select number of people if asked to play?

ya i mean most lawyers aren't lunatics, if you can't do something because of a disability then you can't do it. if all the other SAs are playing, see if there is another way you can be involved. all this shit is just about getting to know each other anyway.

I wouldn't have a problem telling anyone (HR, partners, etc.) the details, but during the interviews I was told the only reason they have no-offered people is insufficient sociability with everyone in the practice group (about 10 partners and 10 associates, all of whom have to sign off on an offer). Since my disability isn't obvious (you could never tell I have one just from an office setting), I don't know how I can not play and not make other people (even just the associates) think I'm either faking a disability because I'm not into the firm or not that interested in socializing with them.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Softball is SO WEAK. Of course lawyers want to play because most are 40-50 pounds overweight and have no athletic ability.

You have to play but it is going to suck .

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Sirius wrote:Softball is SO WEAK. Of course lawyers want to play because most are 40-50 pounds overweight and have no athletic ability.

You have to play but it is going to suck .

That's the spirit!

Assuming they play in a league against other law firms, it's not going to be that hard. Jesus, when you're an actual associate working an all-nighter, you'll probably wish you could go play softball.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I am gonna be a total ringer this summer for the firm team. I am a slowpitch beast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem telling anyone (HR, partners, etc.) the details, but during the interviews I was told the only reason they have no-offered people is insufficient sociability with everyone in the practice group (about 10 partners and 10 associates, all of whom have to sign off on an offer). Since my disability isn't obvious (you could never tell I have one just from an office setting), I don't know how I can not play and not make other people (even just the associates) think I'm either faking a disability because I'm not into the firm or not that interested in socializing with them.

If you wouldn't have a problem telling the details, I would just tell the details and then just try to demonstrate that you care, like hanging out, fit in etc. I'm sure there will be other events that will let you "shine" more and you can still go to the softball games and just hang out with the people in the dugout or make yourself permanent umpire or base coach or something. Just be upfront, non awkward and as participatory as possible. No biggie.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
traehekat wrote:

If anyone asks, tell them you have a disability that prevents you from playing. Nobody will question that. Be friendly and don't give people reasons to think you're not interested in socializing and they won't think that. If you want, go to the softball games, sit on the bench, cheer, talk to people, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I'm pretty sure that if you have a disability, that you disclose the disability, and otherwise perform well that a firm would not risk liability from an ADA violation.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be a SA in about a month; my firm has a softball team and they asked me to play. I have to play, right?

I want to play, but I haven't played baseball/softball since little league, and I wasn't very good then. I'm athletic - I wrestled in high school/college, I golf well enough, I'm pretty good at basketball and football, but I probably stink at softball. I figure this is the kind of thing they expect male SAs to participate in, and its probably a good way to network with people at the firm. I think going out there and being awful is still better than not participating at all, and possibly being viewed as someone who doesn't want to be involved in activities (i.e., someone who doesn't "fit" with the firm). Agree?

Before your first event get practice in. Batting cages are even cheaper than golf lessons and if you go and hit a hundred softballs a couple of times that alone should make you better than 99% of the people on the team.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

PMan99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be a SA in about a month; my firm has a softball team and they asked me to play. I have to play, right?

Before your first event get practice in. Batting cages are even cheaper than golf lessons and if you go and hit a hundred softballs a couple of times that alone should make you better than 99% of the people on the team.

OP here: I was thinking about doing this; I think it will make a big difference. I'm honestly more concerned about catching the ball - I figure they will put me in the outfield where I'll proceed to drop fly-balls left and right.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 pm

you're a good athlete and you think you'll be one of the worst players on the team? doubt it. have you tried playing softball with nerds and girls before?

play catch with some friends if you're nervous and get a glove big enough to catch a softball with. I think the bigger problem you have is associating your identity with success in sports and being afraid of failing at something you aren't good at. deal with that, which matters more than whether you can catch a fly ball.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PMan99 wrote:

OP here: I was thinking about doing this; I think it will make a big difference. I'm honestly more concerned about catching the ball - I figure they will put me in the outfield where I'll proceed to drop fly-balls left and right.

TCR in this case is running to right field and hoping it isn't some partner's traditional spot. You will get zero hits to you all game, and even if you do they'll be close enough to CF you can blame him.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:09 pm

I hadn't played softball/baseball outside of family reunions since I was 15. I was terrified too.

I turned out being a middle-of-the-order hitter on this team and a more than serviceable fielder.

Most everyone is awful. They're lawyers billing 2000 hours plus a year. That doesn't leave a ton of time for the cages. You'll be fine.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:28 pm

If you have even a moderate level of athleticism, sports with lawyers is a great way to boost self-esteem.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:If you have even a moderate level of athleticism, sports with lawyers is a great way to boost self-esteem.

Aren't you supposed to "be blinded" on the partner's fly ball or "bumble" the throw to second when he tries to steal?

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:49 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:If you have even a moderate level of athleticism, sports with lawyers is a great way to boost self-esteem.

Aren't you supposed to "be blinded" on the partner's fly ball or "bumble" the throw to second when he tries to steal?

Huh? You typically play in a league against other law firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”