What firms have hired 3Ls in the past?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What firms have hired 3Ls in the past?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm a T14 2L w/ a v50 SA, my grades have improved somewhat dramatically this year (think top 1/3 to top 15-10% overall). Does anyone know what firms have hired 3Ls in the past and what chance someone w/ stats like mine would have at getting hired.

Anonymous User

Re: What firms have hired 3Ls in the past?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Anything

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Yea I know a bunch of them, but you are a horrible human being and definitely won't get anything, so don't worry about it

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a T14 2L w/ a v50 SA, my grades have improved somewhat dramatically this year (think top 1/3 to top 15-10% overall). Does anyone know what firms have hired 3Ls in the past and what chance someone w/ stats like mine would have at getting hired.

Unless you want to look for something in a different market or have changed your mind about your field of focus, do you actually think there's some kind of substantive benefit to switching to a firm with a higher vault rank?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a T14 2L w/ a v50 SA, my grades have improved somewhat dramatically this year (think top 1/3 to top 15-10% overall). Does anyone know what firms have hired 3Ls in the past and what chance someone w/ stats like mine would have at getting hired.

The big NYC shops (Cravath, S&C, DPW, STB, Skadden, etc) all usually hire a couple of 3L's. They're exactly your type--people who want to trade up after a V50 SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:13 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:Yea I know a bunch of them, but you are a horrible human being and definitely won't get anything, so don't worry about it

Wow, this is some harshness up in here. I understand that the Vault rankings are far from determinative, but why does this make him (or her) a horrible human being? He (or she) is spending who knows how much on a legal education and has every right to try to leverage that into the best option possible, however that is defined. It's not like he's reneging on a commitment - working for a firm your 2L summer is not a promise to work there afterward. As we've seen ITE the last few years, firms have no problem Lathaming SA/new associates.

I'm excited to work this summer at my V20 firm. Would I be a horrible human being for doing OCI this fall?

Care to explain the vitriol?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:Yea I know a bunch of them, but you are a horrible human being and definitely won't get anything, so don't worry about it

Wow, this is some harshness up in here. I understand that the Vault rankings are far from determinative, but why does this make him (or her) a horrible human being? He (or she) is spending who knows how much on a legal education and has every right to try to leverage that into the best option possible, however that is defined. It's not like he's reneging on a commitment - working for a firm your 2L summer is not a promise to work there afterward. As we've seen ITE the last few years, firms have no problem Lathaming SA/new associates.

I'm excited to work this summer at my V20 firm. Would I be a horrible human being for doing OCI this fall?

Speaking for myself, I don't think the OP is a horrible person at all. But I do think he/she's potentially being naive. Depending on your interests, the best firm for you may be a V5. It may be an NLJ250 market-paying midlaw. It may be a niche boutique that doesn't make it on any of these illustrious lists. Moving from a v50 to a v20 is only a trade-up if there's something that sets those two firms apart in a particular field (and no, the size difference doesn't really count as a setting-apart factor).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:26 pm

i understand the natural reaction to posts like this is "the vault rankings are not like the USNWR rankings," but i think its a little unfair to assume this is OP's thought process. he/she could just be looking for a list of all the firms that hire 3Ls and then may take a harder look at those firms, rather than taking a look at a bunch of firms without even knowing if they hire 3Ls.

either way i dont have anything useful for OP.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Angry user's reasoning is that OP has an awesome job and is taking an interview slot from someone with no job (possibly angry user). Angry user doesn't realize firms at 3L OCI will only hire someone with firm exp looking to trade up or some sort of super-elite equivalent like DOJ paid intern or IP or maybe foreign language proficiency.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Op here. When should I apply to these firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:43 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Speaking for myself, I don't think the OP is a horrible person at all. But I do think he/she's potentially being naive. Depending on your interests, the best firm for you may be a V5. It may be an NLJ250 market-paying midlaw. It may be a niche boutique that doesn't make it on any of these illustrious lists. Moving from a v50 to a v20 is only a trade-up if there's something that sets those two firms apart in a particular field (and no, the size difference doesn't really count as a setting-apart factor).

I'm Anon quoted above.

Totally agree with you. Vault# is barely on this side of worthless and definitely on that side of silly. But that doesn't make OP horrible, as Angry User suggested.

Also, subsequent post about who OP may or may not be "stealing" interviews from makes sense.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:46 pm

OP is in a perfect spot for the V10's. When V10's say they are hiring 3L's they are basically singling people out like OP. That being said, you probably need to repeat the performance of last semester to get a really good shot.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Angry user's reasoning is that OP has an awesome job and is taking an interview slot from someone with no job (possibly angry user). Angry user doesn't realize firms at 3L OCI will only hire someone with firm exp looking to trade up or some sort of super-elite equivalent like DOJ paid intern or IP or maybe foreign language proficiency.

That is not necessarily true. I know people that were hired at V10s without working at any firm as a 2L SA. Rare and requires a huge grade bump, but they are willing to take people without other firm experience. It's just a big plus factor to have summered somewhere else.

And while there are many good reasons to trade up, many 3Ls do it because of a short-term mentality that prioritizes impressing other law students and finally winning the prestige rat race that you "lost" (I say this with heavy sarcasm) at 2L OCI.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Angry user's reasoning is that OP has an awesome job and is taking an interview slot from someone with no job (possibly angry user). Angry user doesn't realize firms at 3L OCI will only hire someone with firm exp looking to trade up or some sort of super-elite equivalent like DOJ paid intern or IP or maybe foreign language proficiency.

That is not necessarily true. I know people that were hired at V10s without working at any firm as a 2L SA. Rare and requires a huge grade bump, but they are willing to take people without other firm experience. It's just a big plus factor to have summered somewhere else.

And while there are many good reasons to trade up, many 3Ls do it because of a short-term mentality that prioritizes impressing other law students and finally winning the prestige rat race that you "lost" (I say this with heavy sarcasm) at 2L OCI.

I agree that for some it is the stupidity of Vault rankings, but for others they may want a different geography, office feel, or practice specialty that they couldn't get in their 2L firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

So when does a 3L apply to these firms, assuming they aren't coming to ogi.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:47 pm

I'd be interested to know which firms might hire a 3L who didn't do 2L SA, and what they'd be looking for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:52 pm

shepdawg wrote:I'd be interested to know which firms might hire a 3L who didn't do 2L SA, and what they'd be looking for.

+1

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:04 pm

shepdawg wrote:I'd be interested to know which firms might hire a 3L who didn't do 2L SA, and what they'd be looking for.

I can speak on this as I had interviews/callbacks at a number of firms. Generally they are looking for 1) a big grade bump on top of good 1L stats, and 2) a demonstrated interest in the practice area they are hiring for as well as the obligatory 3) fit. This year, firms seemed to be hiring more for corporate than litigation although I also interviewed for a financial services/regulatory group. So it hurt me at the callback stage because during 2L I had tried to take a lot of clerkship classes to hopefully get one of those jobs. I was going into interviews without having taken Corporations, Sec Reg, Deals, Cap Markets, etc. They are not going to ask you substantive questions, but they really want to know you want to stick with that particular group, as the partners you are interviewing with from that group don't want to be used as an in to the firm and then see you take assignments elsewhere. My 2L summer job was slightly relevant which probably helped me get callbacks, but I'd say the best experience to have 2L summer would be in-house or at a smaller firm that does corporate (maybe a non-Vault). FINRA/SEC/other federal financial regulator is also good.

Also watch for multiple rounds. I had two firms call me back for two rounds of callbacks. They basically wanted me to meet with a lot of people in the group I would be working for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 pm

^^^^^ what were your stats?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:11 pm

T6, medianish 1L, top 1/3 2L+

Return to “Legal Employment”