Strategies for getting legal employment 0L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gman1978

Strategies for getting legal employment 0L summer?

Postby gman1978 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 am

I'm sending out my resume to firms, and haven't heard back from any of them. I have a contact in big law, and he checked with his firm and said there isn't anything available but he will keep his ears open. I have a backup plan of tutoring the LSAT, and have my resume out to test prep companies and am trying to find students on my own. Is there anything I'm missing? I would love to work for a judge, in a prosecutor's office, in a public defender's office, etc, but I'm not sure how to approach this.

blurbz

Re: Strategies for getting legal employment 0L summer?

Postby blurbz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Just enjoy the summer. You don't need to have legal employment your 0L summer and, frankly, if you do get something you'll just be a glorified file clerk anyway. Do something with your undergrad degree or do literally nothing: It doesn't matter at all.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Tutor for the LSAT and make some money off of other lemmings or relax. No one, and I mean no one, will care if you worked for a legal employer as a 0L.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 pm

i lol'd

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:12 pm

0L employment is never legal employment, nobody cares where you filed papers and answered phones

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:26 pm

gman1978 wrote:I'm sending out my resume to firms, and haven't heard back from any of them. I have a contact in big law, and he checked with his firm and said there isn't anything available but he will keep his ears open. I have a backup plan of tutoring the LSAT, and have my resume out to test prep companies and am trying to find students on my own. Is there anything I'm missing? I would love to work for a judge, in a prosecutor's office, in a public defender's office, etc, but I'm not sure how to approach this.

I did this (see: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=183186), and really glad I did.
I got the job by emailing a resume during my senior year in college and staying in contact and waiting. Other people I know got their jobs by showing up with a resume in the office, as well as through networking and especially via connections.
I think if you can get in, it'd be way more valuable than tutoring the LSAT. I mean, if you're serious about wanting to work for a judge or anyone else legal, I'd just call up a bunch of offices and ask if you can stop by and introduce yourself. I think if you show them you are interested enough, big offices always have room for another filing clerk (which is a more valuable activity than some would think, if you know how to take advantage of it), and some firms might just have you help out part time. Mine started me at part time and boosted me to full time within three weeks.
HTH.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Last edited by Sup Kid on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Sup Kid wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603

Meh, this thread is actually alright in my opinion.

seatown12 wrote:0L employment is never legal employment, nobody cares where you filed papers and answered phones

Not true. I did an 0L internship with a bunch of 1Ls--it counted as legal employment for them, and counted as legal employment for me.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

You will (hopefully) have the rest of your life to do this. You should enjoy your summer, take a trip with some friends, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”