Which 1L jerb?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which 1L jerb?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:04 pm

1L with no summer jerb lined up, so I've been applying to ever jerb I can. Because I hadn't been getting any interviews, I applied and interviewed at large legal publishing company (that everyone hates working for) and I just got a voicemail that I've been offered the jerb and to call back ASAP. I also got a call this morning and set up an interview for next Thursday at small (<40 attorneys) law firm working in the civil litigation department. Both jerb's pay about the same and are the same distance from my house. Legal publishing company offers very flexible hours, 4PM-Midnight is not unheard of, and would make it much easier to work/do summer school/volunteer at the office I volunteer at. However, workers at legal publishing company don't seem to care for their job very much, and I would much rather work on litigation issues than anything else.

I don't know how much time legal publishing company will give me to get back to them, probably not much. Which jerb would you take? Besides the possibility of not having a legal job if I turn down publishing company and don't get the firm job, I really need some money coming in to pay for summer expenses (and I'd like to avoid taking out summer loans). Would you turn down legal publisher for the chance the interview with the firm will go well? How impolite would it be to take publishing job (if they want an answer right away) and turn it down 2 weeks later? Any difference at OCI for the two jerbs?

Thoughts are appreciated.

pifhib2

Re: Which 1L jerb?

Postby pifhib2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:28 pm

This late in the cycle you'd be foolish to turn down any position, especially a paying one. I think you'd also be foolish to turn down a legal job for a legal publishing job. 1L summer doesn't matter much, as long as you're doing SOMETHING legal. I don't think 'legal publishing' counts, but if you don't land the firm job at least you'll have some $$$ to console yourself with.

Call the publishing company back and ask them for a bit of time. Tell them you're weighing your options, etc. When you interview with the firm try to subtly let them know you have another offer and time is of the essence.

If you accept the publishing job and turn it down two weeks later you're a fucking dick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Yes, this late it is foolish to turn down any paid job, but part of me wants the chance at the litigation firm and would turn down the legal publishing job in a heart beat to take it. I might just be trying to talk myself out of the publishing job, but I was curious if the mantra of "any legal job 1L summer is the same" counts for legal publishing vs. law firm. If you haven't guessed what legal publishing company yet, think summaries of legal documents.

Tomorrow I will be calling some attorneys I know in the area to see what they think as well as the company and see if I can get some time to decide, but I have a feeling they'll want an answer before my interview.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, this late it is foolish to turn down any paid job, but part of me wants the chance at the litigation firm and would turn down the legal publishing job in a heart beat to take it. I might just be trying to talk myself out of the publishing job, but I was curious if the mantra of "any legal job 1L summer is the same" counts for legal publishing vs. law firm. If you haven't guessed what legal publishing company yet, think summaries of legal documents.

Tomorrow I will be calling some attorneys I know in the area to see what they think as well as the company and see if I can get some time to decide, but I have a feeling they'll want an answer before my interview.

feel your pain, man.

have an offer on the table from a firm but it's just doc review/records/filings; very blah stuff. it is paid, though (pretty good, too), and i need the money.

i also have another interview with a second firm that is offering me much more interesting work next week (but unpaid). problem is, i have to answer the first firm in like two days (i already extended the deadline to respond by a week). i negotiated part time hours (3 days a week) with the first firm though, so hopefully i can catch on somewhere (second firm, or elsewhere) for 2 days a week. it might be tough to work it out, though.

i'm planning on accepting the first offer right now; it's too risky to turn it down. i think you should do the same. better to look like a dick later than be totally jobless over the summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”