ROYALLY F**ked up. Need Advice ASAP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seatown12

Re: ROYALLY Fucked up. Need Advice ASAP

Postby seatown12 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The only part of your post with which I agree is "...when it's his own career on the line." The rest shows inexperience & youthful idealism.

I'll chalk this up to different approaches in different areas of the law. Seems like OP has already handled it anyway so the point is moot.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: The only person from whom you seek advice on this matter is the State Supreme Court Justice. Apologize, praise, apologize, praise & ask for his or her advice as to how to handle this matter. Both you & the law firm in question will appreciate your maturity & wisdom beyond your years. You'll make friends for life. And that will benefit you, your future clients & your future employer.

P.S. Do not involve anyone else.

Yes, the sky would fall if he dared ask OCS what he should do under the circumstances.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 pm

No, it places them in an uncomfortable position. Plus, OCS folks don't practice law & don't represent firms & clients.

P.S. Your inexperience is showing in a glaring manner. :D

Also, the post above is a good illustration as to why young associates are kept in the back room or in the basement doing research. :D

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 pm

What a weird, creepy lunatic you must be in person.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Why ? Because I offer experienced advice ? What an asshole you are to pretend to offer advice about the practice of law as an inexperienced law student.

P.S. Your last post says a lot more about you than it does about me. :lol:
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why ? Because I offer experienced advice ? What an asshole you are to pretend to offer advice about the practice of law as an inexperienced law student.

What is your actual experience?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 pm

No one is giving any advice on the "practice of law." Your first post in this thread was a helpful, constructive point of view. What's followed since then has been increasingly full of irrelevant, condescending, non sequitur bullshit.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm

You get a hard-on every time I post. None of your business. I don't know whether or not you a former disgraced admissions dean, but I do know that you're upset that I called for an investigation of your law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Wiseowl or Wiseass ? You're a law student offering advice on the practice of law. At least one of us is trying to help the OP. :D

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Wiseowl or Wiseass ? You're a law student offering advice on the practice of law. At least one of us is trying to help the OP. :D

But no really calm down. Both of you.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You get a hard-on every time I post. None of your business. I don't know whether or not you a former disgraced admissions dean, but I do know that you're upset that I called for an investigation of your law school.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I'm a 2l at Illinois. I've never tried to hide that fact.

You constantly give advice about choosing law schools and post in law school related threads, despite admitting you're not in law school. Then in threads like this you try to make it sound like you're an experienced lawyer, but won't actually say whether you ARE a lawyer or not.

As for why I have a "hard on" every time you post, its because you are hands down the worst, most unhelpful poster on this site. You make PDaddy look like thesealocust

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Thank you. From you, that's a compliment. :lol:

P.S. Stalk much ?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm

OP, you probably know that it's customary to accept a position offered by a judge...or at least that's what OCS drilled into our heads. Judges know this and typically extend conditional offers. It sounds like this is what he was doing. In all likelihood he mistook your lack of follow-up as an indication that the matter was settled.

Inform the judge's assistant of the situation, extending your deepest apologies. Then enjoy your market salary.

And maybe stay clear of the State's SC Bar.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Great advice in the post above. But, since the justice has contacted you directly, you need to ask his assistant whether or not you can speak to the judge/justice directly.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Work with the judge from 9-5, then work at the firm from 5:15 to midnight with the 5th-7th year associates.. any other option and you aren't trying hard enough

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Why ? Because I offer experienced advice ? What an asshole you are to pretend to offer advice about the practice of law as an inexperienced law student.

What is your actual experience?

I assume he's seen cataclysmic consequences resulting from a law student going to his OCS for an advice in re: ethics/manners in a dicey employment situation.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm

For future reference, when you accept a job offer, TIMELY CALL BACK EVERYWHERE ELSE AND WITHDRAW. It's simple courtesy.

Anyway, just tell the judge the truth, be gracious, apologize, and be nice.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Called the judge. Everything is handled and he was great. It turns out it was miscommunication but I feel like a jerk. Writing a letter to him this weekend. Everything seems to be all good.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Glad it worked out.

Now go study.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 am

CanadianWolf wrote: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" author obviously never pissed-off a powerful politician or a judge. I've done all three.

+1

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 am

Sirius wrote:Called the judge. Everything is handled and he was great. It turns out it was miscommunication but I feel like a jerk. Writing a letter to him this weekend. Everything seems to be all good.

I figured this would be the result. Most judges are reasonable when it comes to these types of situations. He was probably more upset at the fact that there were other 1Ls he rejected because he thought you were coming. Once he found out it was a miscommunication on his part, his feelings towards you changed. I'm sure he will have no problem finding a replacement intern, so it looks like all is well for all parties involved.

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Mon May 07, 2012 11:51 am

You mentioned that this interview was for a position with a "state Supreme Court Justice."

Was the state New York?

(As I'm sure you know, the New York "Supreme Court" is basically the trial level.)

treple

Postby treple » Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Justice = highest appellate level judge (in State or SCOTUS)

I don't think he's talking about New York.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 pm

this is why you ALWAYS ask something along the lines of.. "sooooo whats the next step/when should candidates expect to hear back/any other variation of this"

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm

And most importantly, don't plan to work in litigation within a 500 mile radius of that court.

Return to “Legal Employment”