Personal Bankruptcy in Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Personal Bankruptcy in Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

So I have an interview with a legal aid type non-profit that does a lot of work in bankruptcy for people who can't afford attorneys. My family went through bankruptcy when I was younger and I thought about bringing that up in the interview (knowing how hard it is etc.). But is this one of those things that you just don't bring up?

bilbobaggins

Re: Personal Bankruptcy in Interview

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:30 pm

It is fairly likely they'll ask you about why you're interested in the work and I would think that would be the only appropriate time to bring it up. I would try to link your family's issue to the issues of people filing for bankruptcy in general.

omg clay aiken !

Postby omg clay aiken ! » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:It is fairly likely they'll ask you about why you're interested in the work and I would think that would be the only appropriate time to bring it up. I would try to link your family's issue to the issues of people filing for bankruptcy in general.

This. Your experiences can be persuasive tools for demonstrating why you're truly interested a certain field.

For example, I heard about a guy who got into Michigan law with relatively low GPA/LSAT because he wrote an essay about wanting to represent indigent criminal defendants. His reason was pretty compelling: his dad was put to death by the state of texas 15 years prior.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Bankruptcy isn't an embarrassment, it's a chance for a new beginning.

Call the law offices of David I. Pankin for a fresh start.

Return to “Legal Employment”