Has anybody ever.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Has anybody ever....

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 am

heard of or experienced a situation where somebody got a SA offer the last month before school ended even if the firm came to FALL OCI and that person struck out initially. I am asking this because recently I met up with a lawyer I know (didn't know where he worked or that he was a partner at the firm) for about a year now. Every time we talk and meet up it is usually only about personal things going on in one another life but never about career or school. We met up again this last weekend and I found out that he thought I was already in practice and did not know I was a law student still. At the gathering I was able to meet many other partners from his firm and they all liked me. After we finished talking he said that I should have hit him up about a job etc...and that we can meet up this week because he is gonna try to get me in. I feel like it is too late in the cycle for anything magical to happen especially since the firm already chose its summer...but when we talked he sound so sure he could make it happen so my question is do you guys think that it is possible? The firm is pretty big V100.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Has anybody ever....

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:17 am

Yes it's possible; he just said it was. Study the hell out of the firm, be prepared to take something unique (like being his personal unpaid SA) and be thankful you have the shot. Don't overdo it and come off creepy and desperate, but try like your life depended on it.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:34 am

It happens, but it will depend on their yield. If too many people accepted offers in the fall, you're out of luck. If they're at target or below, you've got a chance.

My firm posts a list of SAs on the firm's extranet and I can tell you that the list has added a few names within the last few weeks.

patentlaworbust

New

Post by patentlaworbust » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 am

Your chance of success will entirely depend on how much "juice" this partner has at the firm. I got passed over at OCI by a firm comfortably in the AmLaw100, but I later discovered that the hiring partner for the office I was interested in was a "friend of the family". I got in contact with her and she brought me in for an immediate callback at the firm office.

I agree with the above comment to immerse yourself with info about this firm. Given your relatively personal relationship with the partner, your next informal meeting could include the sudden addition of the hiring partner or other very important decision-makers from the firm. Be ready to switch gears from personal to professional if the situation calls for it.

BlackLetterLaw2013

New

Post by BlackLetterLaw2013 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am

thanks for all the insight...I will be prepared for any and everything. From my personal experience with this partner, I have already been introduced and mingled with three other attorneys from the firm (2 of which are also partners). I guess I have to wait and see what happens, if this does not work, I will be forced to complete my 2L summer with a Fed Judge.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

BlackLetterLaw2013 wrote:thanks for all the insight...I will be prepared for any and everything. From my personal experience with this partner, I have already been introduced and mingled with three other attorneys from the firm (2 of which are also partners). I guess I have to wait and see what happens, if this does not work, I will be forced to complete my 2L summer with a Fed Judge.
The federal judge will understand. Offer to intern in the fall or split, but he knows how much you need a permanent job and no judge builds their chambers on summer idiot interns.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”