Reneging on an RA position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SHANbangs

Reneging on an RA position

Postby SHANbangs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Just wondering if people could advise on etiquette when dealing with professors and research assistant positions. I currently have an RA offer from a professor on an area of law i'm not too interested in. We spoke early last week and I told her i'd get back to her this week. However, that was conditional upon hearing back from jobs by last friday, which didn't happen. I am scheduled to meet another professor on Thursday or Friday of this week for an RA position in securities and derivatives regulation, which i am actually interested in and something that I think would look better for OCI given that i want to do transactional law. I feel that i will most likely get this position, but I won't know definitively until Thursday or Friday at the earliest. At the same time, I received an offer from the regulation clinic for a paid summer position dealing with the consumer financial protection, but that is conditional upon them clearing the project for the summer. So I'm in a bit of a limbo - I won't hear back from securities prof until Friday, and I won't hear back from regulations ppl until who knows when. I have yet to accept the offer for the current RA position, so i'm wondering what i should do in terms of updating her on my status. I don't want to accept and later renege, but i also don't want to keep her in the dark or forego this opportunity if the other two don't pan out. My plan was to do 2 out of 3 for a full 40 hour work week, since all three positions are 20 hrs/week. What do y'all think?

Return to “Legal Employment”