How to ask for an informational interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to ask for an informational interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:38 pm

How do you ask for an informational interview without being awkward? I was playing around on martindale today and found a partner at my dream firm who's an alum of both my undergrad and law school (two different regions, really random small liberal arts school). Is it alright to bother a partner for his time? How do people word these emails?

LawIdiot86

Re: How to ask for an informational interview

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Dear X,
My name is Y and I am a rising 2L at SCHOOL. I am interested in pursuing Z law and saw you were in the Q practice at FIRM and are a SCHOOL alum. I would like to know more about what a Z lawyer does on a day to day basis after having taken PROFESSOR M's Z class and was wondering if it would be possible to meet with you or someone at your office to get more information? I am available June 16th, 20th, 22nd, 24th, 29th and 30th, anytime starting at or after 4:30 and am also available by phone if that is more convenient for you. Thank you for your time.

Y

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you ask for an informational interview without being awkward? I was playing around on martindale today and found a partner at my dream firm who's an alum of both my undergrad and law school (two different regions, really random small liberal arts school). Is it alright to bother a partner for his time? How do people word these emails?

I'm just a 1L (though I am working biglaw this summer fwiw) but I would say go for it. I have done something similar. Just write a nice email introducing yourself and explain that the firm is exactly where you'd love to end up eventually and that you noticed their common backgrounds and would really appreciate the opportunity to meet him and hear any advice he has. Worst he can do is say no but I doubt he would hold it against you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Dear X,
My name is Y and I am a rising 2L at SCHOOL. I am interested in pursuing Z law and saw you were in the Q practice at FIRM and are a SCHOOL alum. I would like to know more about what a Z lawyer does on a day to day basis after having taken PROFESSOR M's Z class and was wondering if it would be possible to meet with you or someone at your office to get more information? I am available June 16th, 20th, 22nd, 24th, 29th and 30th, anytime starting at or after 4:30 and am also available by phone if that is more convenient for you. Thank you for your time.

Y

This.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 pm

to: partner@dreamfirm.com

re: Really Random College alumnus and Law School student information interview

Dear Mr. Partner,

I am an alumnus of Really Random, and I am currently in my eighth year at Law School. I am interested in learning more about practicing rodent law, and I noted from your bio on the Dreamfirm website that you specialize in guinea pig law. If you can spare a few moments to meet with me at your convenience, I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to ask you a few questions about your career and about the practice of rodent law more generally.

Kindest regards,

anonymous internet person.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:25 pm

yup, those all look good. note that the responses you may receive (if you receive any at all) will vary. some will be more than happy to meet with you, others might prefer some other form of communication, like phone/email, and others might just say they are busy and there is no way they can make it in the near future. don't take it the wrong way if they are unable to meet, and don't let it discourage you from contacting other attorneys you would be interested in speaking with.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

the sample emails above look fine to me, but personally I'd rather receive an email that was a little more educated on the practice.

if you explain to us WHY this is your dream firm, maybe some of those factors will come up. is it because they are leading the way in defense of global trade disputes? If so, maybe geek out a little bit on that topic - see if they'd be willing to talk about a certain topic with you for a while.

gives you something to talk about when you get there, too. this may just be me, though, who has had well enough of asking lawyers "so what's your typical day like?"

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 pm

This is nice.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm

I arranged informational interviews through the recruiting contact. Did that with a few NYC firms while I interned there my 1L summer.

I would suggest contacting the recruiter, letting them know that you saw the partner's profile and were interested in setting up an informational interview. It might get lost in the shuffle if you email the partner directly.

Return to “Legal Employment”