1L Firm Job - Can I blow off journal?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L Firm Job - Can I blow off journal?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 am

Doritos wrote:Just do it. Secondary journals are so little work.

Don't really agree with this. Some are. Some aren't. Honestly, after you get a job, its real fucking annoying to keep doing that shit (at least I think). It probably does matter a bit for OCI and what not at some firms, so probably do it. But don't expect it to be a walk in the park after that. And getting thrown off/quitting is a process (though most firms probably don't care post offer)

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:28 am

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:35 am

Cupidity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
maybe it's different for schools outside the t14.

ttcr

Even within the T14, it's important to do a journal if you can. I won't say not being on a journal is the kiss of death, but most top employers consider journal membership to be standard. This is especially so when your school, like mine, has enough secondary journals that just about everyone, including people who get shit grades and/or fuck up beautifully on the writing competition, end up with some kind of journal offer.

shoeshine wrote:

That greatly depends on the secondary journal.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 am

HeavenWood wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

I think it depends on who you are. Just only take on positions in the journal that require minimal work. Editors do most of the major work.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 am

shoeshine wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

I think it depends on who you are. Just only take on positions in the journal that require minimal work. Editors do most of the major work.

Cite checking was a bitch as a 2L.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:00 am

OL question: what is the job in a journal that gives the most benefit for the least work? Is there such a magical position?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 am

Find out which journals publish less and join those. So long as you don't join a journal that publishes like crazy, it won't be that much work.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 am

keg411 wrote:Find out which journals publish less and join those. So long as you don't join a journal that publishes like crazy, it won't be that much work.

Spanks!

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:41 am

keg411 wrote:Find out which journals publish less and join those. So long as you don't join a journal that publishes like crazy, it won't be that much work.

It also depends on the size of the journal (at least at my school). Some journals publish less but only have 15-20 members so the work load is increased for those people. We also have a couple journals that publish a ton but have over 40 members. As long as they are organized the journals with larger membership are less work. You can fly under the radar easier.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 am

shoeshine wrote:

It also depends on the size of the journal (at least at my school). Some journals publish less but only have 15-20 members so the work load is increased for those people. We also have a couple journals that publish a ton but have over 40 members. As long as they are organized the journals with larger membership are less work. You can fly under the radar easier.

Mine had about 70 members and four issues, but one issue was the mandatory publication of our notes. It sucked when I was trying to cram a note into my schedule, but was so worth it for the resume benefit after. The workload from 4 cite checking assignments would have been easy street if I already had a job and didn't care about my resume.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 pm

A variation of the question then: if no LR, do you go for the most prestigious secondary or just choose one you like?

Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Being on LR was not the best use of time. Just do a good job at your SA gig, show engagement, get the know the attorneys on a more personal level, don't be a jerk to anyone, and you'll be fine.

SPAM

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:A variation of the question then: if no LR, do you go for the most prestigious secondary or just choose one you like?

I don't know if the "prestige" of these so-called prestigious secondaries exists outside of its member's heads. No need to join a secondary w/ a note requirement because you think DC biglaw partners care about its Washington & Lee ranking.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:A variation of the question then: if no LR, do you go for the most prestigious secondary or just choose one you like?

I would more take the avoidance approach here. Some schools have journals with reputations. So, unless you are a libertarian/neocon, I would avoid the Harvard Public Policy and Georgetown Public Policy journals. Other journals are actually respected in their fields; I had a friend at GULC on an interview with a NY judge where the judge pulled out the Criminal Law Review from their school to show how he used it in his cases. Also, you might get some weird looks if your journal is bizarrely specialized, like global perspectives on family law. I would suggest you pick the most general journal that is unlikely to convey negative triggers to a prospective interviewer. Things like international business, commerce & economics, jurisdiction & trial practice, federal rules & legislation, technology, legal studies/profession & ethics, criminal, and even tax/entertainment law seem like good safe bets.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 pm

I picked the one I liked + no mandatory note.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Aren't you IP focused?

If so, you need to be on the Technology Law Journal. Depending on how strong it is at your school, it could be a significant boost to your resume.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:42 pm

shoeshine wrote:

Aren't you IP focused?

If so, you need to be on the Technology Law Journal. Depending on how strong it is at your school, it could be a significant boost to your resume.

We don't have one, hence the question. I am doing as many IP related things as I can get my hands on, but unfortunately no relevant journal. We have con, business, international, and social change.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Aren't you IP focused?

We don't have one, hence the question. I am doing as many IP related things as I can get my hands on, but unfortunately no relevant journal. We have con, business, international, and social change.

I'd rank it business, international, con, then social change if they all are the same workload and relative prestige.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:45 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

I would more take the avoidance approach here. Some schools have journals with reputations. So, unless you are a libertarian/neocon, I would avoid the Harvard Public Policy and Georgetown Public Policy journals. Other journals are actually respected in their fields; I had a friend at GULC on an interview with a NY judge where the judge pulled out the Criminal Law Review from their school to show how he used it in his cases. Also, you might get some weird looks if your journal is bizarrely specialized, like global perspectives on family law. I would suggest you pick the most general journal that is unlikely to convey negative triggers to a prospective interviewer. Things like international business, commerce & economics, jurisdiction & trial practice, federal rules & legislation, technology, legal studies/profession & ethics, criminal, and even tax/entertainment law seem like good safe bets.

How do you figure out external reputations? I like your approach.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
I'd rank it business, international, con, then social change if they all are the same workload and relative prestige.

Damn I think my preference is reversed. Our business is more in the finance, M&A, corporate sector. Con seem to be the most prestigious. Maybe I need to start a Technology journal 8)

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Do you guys really think the prestige of secondary journals matter? Really? In the sense that it will matter that you are on the Journal of Business and Corporate Stuff instead of the Race & Gender Review? Do you think you will get a boost at OCI because of the name of the journal you are on? My sense is that its a box check and the only boost is the school's flagship.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Doritos wrote:Do you guys really think the prestige of secondary journals matter? Really? In the sense that it will matter that you are on the Journal of Business and Corporate Stuff instead of the Race & Gender Review? Do you think you will get a boost at OCI because of the name of the journal you are on? My sense is that its a box check and the only boost is the school's flagship.

True, you just don't want to scare the firms off by seeming like you're interested in PI. It won't help you like main/LR will, but it could ding you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:04 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:True, you just don't want to scare the firms off by seeming like you're interested in PI. It won't help you like main/LR will, but it could ding you.

I am interested in PI, but I don't think in my case it really hurts me in anyway because it will be very apparent from the interview and resume that I am very driven to succeed in the firm. Perhaps in that context then I can go do law and social change?

Return to “Legal Employment”