Multiple Publications on Resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Multiple Publications on Resume

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm reworking my resume to include several blog publications, and I'm not sure how to best go about it, or if I should even include that info at all. These articles are for my journal and deal with substantive law. Each blog article is about 1,000 words. So, I think it would be a worthwhile addition to my resume to demonstrate my writing skills, work ethic, etc. However, it might not be worth the trouble, since I have 5 articles and listing all would be ridiculous (takes up too much space), and there is no single link that directs to just my articles. I could link to the general blog site, but that wouldn't be helpful since the employer would still have to sift through the other articles.

Opinions?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Multiple Publications on Resume

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm reworking my resume to include several blog publications, and I'm not sure how to best go about it, or if I should even include that info at all. These articles are for my journal and deal with substantive law. Each blog article is about 1,000 words. So, I think it would be a worthwhile addition to my resume to demonstrate my writing skills, work ethic, etc. However, it might not be worth the trouble, since I have 5 articles and listing all would be ridiculous (takes up too much space), and there is no single link that directs to just my articles. I could link to the general blog site, but that wouldn't be helpful since the employer would still have to sift through the other articles.

Opinions?
Why not include a line under the listed journal and say something like written five posted/published articles on journal's blog (provide url if room on the line)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:31 pm

I will just do that, then. Thanks.

Another resume question: is it standard to list a merit scholarship from your LS? I never did this, but someone mentioned that they do. It seems douchey, but if everyone else is doing it, I might as well, right?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Betch, there is no such as thing as being "douchey" when getting a job...You need to present yourself as a "top-tier" candidate/all-star, who is primetime and can't be stopped.

Yes, list your scholarship...If someone is willing to pay for your education, you must have done something right...However, I know people in undergrad who receive 5-8 different scholarships and they list every one...DON'T DO THAT. If you have multiple scholarships from undergrad, just list, "awarded scholarships covering 80% of tuition." or "Awarded $70,000 in scholarship tuition" or something to that effect.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I dissent. Unless it's a widely known/particularly prestigious scholarship, or you are a K-JD trying to fill up lines on your resume, I don't think you should put it on. I don't think it's a negative, but I think a lot of other things are more worthy of that space on your resume. A merit scholarship is directly tied to your GPA, so doesn't add any additional information.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Excuse my not having really read your thread, but this sounds (a bit) like something that might be a candidate for the Interest section, or, better yet, some sort of section that includes interests but has a cooler sounding work so it sounds kind of professional, too. Maybe "Other"? then you start off with contributor to academic weblog discussing x, y, and z in 1000 word internet publications.

I'm going to be making such a section soon to include some of my pre-law school stuff, I think. I keep doing externships and RAing so my experience section is becoming Frankenstein's monster, I'm going to put my post-college jobs on, like, one line ("electron microscope technician at firm y" or something).

while I'm here, does anyone think this idea of mine is a bad one?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Multiple RA positions are redundant, choose one or none or consolidate. Plus, your post-undergrad work experience should be more than one line....

Your post-college section should be called, "Professional Experience." This should be the meat of your resume....not an after thought...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”