Jones Day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:09 pm

anyone interviewing for LA entry-level?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Anyone know anything about the San Francisco office? Dress code/culture, etc...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about the San Francisco office? Dress code/culture, etc...
I'm headed to a different JD office next year. I don't know anything about the San Fran office but the whole firm is business formal. The offices vary on their Friday attire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about the San Francisco office? Dress code/culture, etc...
Not in the SF office but know quite a few of the attorneys there. All the ones I work with are great. Gorgeous offices on the 29th(?) floor of the B of A building. Spectacular views. It is business formal but I've heard that they may not take that as literally as the bigger offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Can anyone in DC comment on how expensive the health insurance is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not in the SF office but know quite a few of the attorneys there. All the ones I work with are great. Gorgeous offices on the 29th(?) floor of the B of A building. Spectacular views. It is business formal but I've heard that they may not take that as literally as the bigger offices.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:44 am

Anyone have recent info on JD's clerkship bonus amounts? The website states that it "offers both a bonus and seniority credit (for both compensation and seniority purposes) to associates joining the Firm directly from an eligible federal court, state supreme court, or U.S. Supreme Court clerkship."

Not worried about SCOTUS, but does anyone know about federal & SSC amount? And how it's paid out/number of years required to remain to maintain?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have recent info on JD's clerkship bonus amounts? The website states that it "offers both a bonus and seniority credit (for both compensation and seniority purposes) to associates joining the Firm directly from an eligible federal court, state supreme court, or U.S. Supreme Court clerkship."

Not worried about SCOTUS, but does anyone know about federal & SSC amount? And how it's paid out/number of years required to remain to maintain?
Last I heard it's the standard 50k. I think typically the offer letter states that if you don't stay for 24 months, you owe a prorated amount of it back (it's the same thing as with bar stipends), although in practice I'm not sure that they ever actually ask you for it it. I don't know if it's lump sum or paid out.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm headed to a different JD office next year. I don't know anything about the San Fran office but the whole firm is business formal. The offices vary on their Friday attire.
Business formal. That would mean suit and tie for men, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:19 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
In practice, most offices are not business formal. I'm a mid-level associate in non NYC/DC office and only wear a suit on court days and rarely wear a tie. This is average men's attire in my office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 pm

NYC is business casual Memorial Day to Labor Day (May-September). The rest of the year it's business formal Monday-Thursday and business casual on Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYC is business casual Memorial Day to Labor Day (May-September). The rest of the year it's business formal Monday-Thursday and business casual on Friday.
NYC is also home to the most arbitrary rules.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:44 pm

And D.C. is business formal all year, although in practice some people get away with no tie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BulletTooth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
In practice, most offices are not business formal. I'm a mid-level associate in non NYC/DC office and only wear a suit on court days and rarely wear a tie. This is average men's attire in my office.
Yeah, Texas is definitely business casual unless you are leaving the office for work stuff or have some client interaction. It's too hot down here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Does anyone know what an average pay increase looks like at the Jones Day offices in secondary markets (Columbus/Cleveland)? I know it's black box (merit based), but I wondered whether anyone had a sense for what these looked like. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 am

Does business formal for the women attorneys mean full suits each day also?

And is Jones Day not a happy firm with much work/life balance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what an average pay increase looks like at the Jones Day offices in secondary markets (Columbus/Cleveland)? I know it's black box (merit based), but I wondered whether anyone had a sense for what these looked like. Thanks!
I would say 5k a year in (Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis) for year 2 and 3. I worked at JD and after about year 3 or 4 the pay starts to (1) hugely diverge from NYC/Chi/LA and (2) hugely diverge internally by practice group. If your in the "good" groups by year 5 you could be at 215k while the "bad" groups are at 190k.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what an average pay increase looks like at the Jones Day offices in secondary markets (Columbus/Cleveland)? I know it's black box (merit based), but I wondered whether anyone had a sense for what these looked like. Thanks!
I would say 5k a year in (Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis) for year 2 and 3. I worked at JD and after about year 3 or 4 the pay starts to (1) hugely diverge from NYC/Chi/LA and (2) hugely diverge internally by practice group. If your in the "good" groups by year 5 you could be at 215k while the "bad" groups are at 190k.

I'm headed to one of those offices soon. Can you explain what the 'good' and 'bad' practice groups generally are? I'm also a little surprised the pay raise is only like 5k/year in those cities for the first couple years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does business formal for the women attorneys mean full suits each day also?

And is Jones Day not a happy firm with much work/life balance?
In practice, no one cares what women wear because no one knows what business formal is for women anyway.

re: the rest, the firm is huge. You can't answer that question as to an entire firm, or even a given office. Every group within every office is different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm headed to one of those offices soon. Can you explain what the 'good' and 'bad' practice groups generally are? I'm also a little surprised the pay raise is only like 5k/year in those cities for the first couple years.
I'd imagine "good" as Issues & Appeals, IP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'm headed to one of those offices soon. Can you explain what the 'good' and 'bad' practice groups generally are? I'm also a little surprised the pay raise is only like 5k/year in those cities for the first couple years.
I'd imagine "good" as Issues & Appeals, IP
I doubt Issues & Appeals would be higher compensated simply because it's not that profitable of a practice. I think the firm subsidizes it to a certain extent, actually, because of all the pro bono and low-bono appeals they do for high profile issues.

Also, this is the first I've ever heard of certain groups being compensated more than others. It doesn't make sense to me, because a lot of the salary gripes I have heard have come from associates in some of the most profitable groups like Antitrust.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm the above former JD atty.

I not going to call groups out here. If you are in an office, see who the influential partners are there, the groups those partners are in are probably taken care of better relative to other groups.

AT, in those cities, is not a driver of revenue the way other groups are. Firm wide, in places like DC and LA, it has much more sway.

I&A would be a group where you get a higher salary when you come in (from another firm or appellate clerkship) and then have flatter salary growth from there. Think about it this way, if you are an underpaid I&A lawyer at Jones Day Columbus, where do you go if want more money and an a top I&A practice? You realistic have to relocate and that is enough to stop most folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Can anyone here speak to how clerkships work at JD? Specifically, if you clerk right after graduation do you still get the bar stipend and relocation expenses paid for? And do they keep your offer open throughout the clerkship, or do you have to accept beforehand?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone here speak to how clerkships work at JD? Specifically, if you clerk right after graduation do you still get the bar stipend and relocation expenses paid for? And do they keep your offer open throughout the clerkship, or do you have to accept beforehand?
You still get relocation, I believe bar stipdend as well. Re: the offer, that depends on what your judge allows. That's something you should ask your judge after you accept the clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone here speak to how clerkships work at JD? Specifically, if you clerk right after graduation do you still get the bar stipend and relocation expenses paid for? And do they keep your offer open throughout the clerkship, or do you have to accept beforehand?
You still get relocation, I believe bar stipdend as well. Re: the offer, that depends on what your judge allows. That's something you should ask your judge after you accept the clerkship.
That is awesome, thank you! I was worried about whether I could afford a clerkship otherwise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”