Jones Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?


It seems to be pretty common, but I wouldn't say it's something you can bank on. From what I know it'll depend primarily on what practice group you're interested in and to a lesser extend why you want to transfer. If you want lit or M&A (or some other practice that is decent sized in all offices) it'll probably work out fine. Even though matters really are staffed across offices, my sense is that some attention is still paid to geography. As to the reason, I've only heard of cases where it was approved and the reasons varied a little, but all mainly had to do with SOs.


Thanks for the info! Do you know of any other reason, other than SOs, that people were able to use to transfer offices?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?


It seems to be pretty common, but I wouldn't say it's something you can bank on. From what I know it'll depend primarily on what practice group you're interested in and to a lesser extend why you want to transfer. If you want lit or M&A (or some other practice that is decent sized in all offices) it'll probably work out fine. Even though matters really are staffed across offices, my sense is that some attention is still paid to geography. As to the reason, I've only heard of cases where it was approved and the reasons varied a little, but all mainly had to do with SOs.


Thanks for the info! Do you know of any other reason, other than SOs, that people were able to use to transfer offices?


I believe one other was related to immediate family needs/issues (being closer to help)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?

Be up front about your situation at the outset. Last summer, we had an SA who wanted to get back to Dubai to be close to family. Although Dubai doesn't have the capacity to take on and train a new lawyer, the Firm assigned a mentor from that office and are actively working to make it happen a few years down the road.

However, you must also be prepared for the Firm to say no to the request, because ultimately the needs of the Firm will win out. For example, if you are interested in Business Restructuring (Bankruptcy), do not expect to get permission to move to DC. There are no partners in the group in the DC office to supervise a young associate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?

Be up front about your situation at the outset. Last summer, we had an SA who wanted to get back to Dubai to be close to family. Although Dubai doesn't have the capacity to take on and train a new lawyer, the Firm assigned a mentor from that office and are actively working to make it happen a few years down the road.

However, you must also be prepared for the Firm to say no to the request, because ultimately the needs of the Firm will win out. For example, if you are interested in Business Restructuring (Bankruptcy), do not expect to get permission to move to DC. There are no partners in the group in the DC office to supervise a young associate.


Got it, thanks. Right now, I'm trying to decide between cities, and JD has offices in the cities I'm interested in. But I don't have a specific, compelling reason to be in a city other than the one I'm interviewing with (I have ties to the other city, but nothing like a SO there). Do you think splitting the summer between offices is an option? How should I address this from the beginning, if at all? Thanks again for all the info!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?

Be up front about your situation at the outset. Last summer, we had an SA who wanted to get back to Dubai to be close to family. Although Dubai doesn't have the capacity to take on and train a new lawyer, the Firm assigned a mentor from that office and are actively working to make it happen a few years down the road.

However, you must also be prepared for the Firm to say no to the request, because ultimately the needs of the Firm will win out. For example, if you are interested in Business Restructuring (Bankruptcy), do not expect to get permission to move to DC. There are no partners in the group in the DC office to supervise a young associate.


Got it, thanks. Right now, I'm trying to decide between cities, and JD has offices in the cities I'm interested in. But I don't have a specific, compelling reason to be in a city other than the one I'm interviewing with (I have ties to the other city, but nothing like a SO there). Do you think splitting the summer between offices is an option? How should I address this from the beginning, if at all? Thanks again for all the info!
you can always ask, but wait until after you get an offer. We've had more than two JD/JD splits this summer, but they each had compelling reasons (hometown, etc)

fruitlobber
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby fruitlobber » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Any insights into the SF office?

MikeJD
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby MikeJD » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 am

MikeJD wrote:Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.


They have it on the intranet. How bad do you want it? Do you want firm-wide?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 am

While I was at a JD hospitality suite, I half-jokingly said that I would never want to leave the city I was interested in (assessing the audience), and the recruiter told me nicely that I probably don't want to say that in an interview. Said it's always better to be flexible as far as placement down the line in your career.

I have no idea what this means. But thought I'd throw it out there.

FWIW, I got an offer and I am currently a summer in a ties-sensitive market (Cleveland/Columbus/Chicago/LA/SF).

As mentioned in previous posts, JD seems to be very accommodating and interested in helping you grow as an attorney. If it makes sense for you and the firm to move you to another office, I cannot imagine it being a problem.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MikeJD wrote:Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.


They have it on the intranet. How bad do you want it? Do you want firm-wide?



I would like to see this info as well, do you have the link to their website where it is showing this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MikeJD wrote:Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.


They have it on the intranet. How bad do you want it? Do you want firm-wide?



I would like to see this info as well, do you have the link to their website where it is showing this?


No. It is on the intRAnet -- the internal server for people employed at JD. If there is interest, I can compile a list by going through the names and ordering it by school. There isn't like a readymade list that I can copy & paste.

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 6357
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby FSK » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MikeJD wrote:Has Jones day released its 2014 SA list(roster of SAs and what schools they come from)?? They use to do this.


They have it on the intranet. How bad do you want it? Do you want firm-wide?



I would like to see this info as well, do you have the link to their website where it is showing this?


No. It is on the intRAnet -- the internal server for people employed at JD. If there is interest, I can compile a list by going through the names and ordering it by school. There isn't like a readymade list that I can copy & paste.


.....please ;)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 am

I also have a city change question. JD has an office in my hometown (TX), but when my SO graduates law school, I'd want to move to DC with them. If I'm doing litigation is this a reasonable move?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 am

2014 SUMMER ASSOCIATE DATA FROM ALL OFFICES WORLDWIDE (One Firm Worldwide!! ;))

T14
Harvard - 19
UVA - 10
NYU - 10
GULC - 10
Stanford - 8
Penn - 8
UC Berkeley - 7
Chicago - 6
Michigan - 6
Columbia - 5
Duke - 4
Northwestern - 3
Yale - 2
Cornell - 1
----

Non T-14
Ohio State - 12
Texas - 10
Emory - 5
Notre Dame - 5
UCLA - 4
Georgia - 4
Illinois - 3
BC - 3
Fordham - 3
GW - 3
Vanderbilt - 3
Case Western - 2
Cleveland Marshall - 2
Georgia State - 2
Albany - 1
Brooklyn - 1
Hofstra - 1
Indiana - 1
Loyola-LA - 1
Penn State - 1
SMU - 1
Texas Tech - 1
UC Hastings - 1
UC Irvine - 1
Akron - 1
Arizona - 1
Iowa - 1
Maryland - 1
Miami - 1
Pitt - 1
Toledo - 1
Wake Forest - 1
WUSTL - 1
William and Mary - 1

=Total: 180


Overall, I really like that there are so many schools represented. JD is not snobby about schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 am

I have a question Re: Jones Day ... someone familiar with the firm and/or goes there PM me

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question Re: Jones Day ... someone familiar with the firm and/or goes there PM me

They can't PM you if you're anonymous.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 am

It's a shithole.

KM2016
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby KM2016 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:25 am

JohannDeMann wrote:It's a shithole.


TCR.

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2269
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby goden » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:10 am

One firm worldwide

0Droit
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:55 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby 0Droit » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:21 am

Why?

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:56 am

They make you wear a suit

the horror

User avatar
FSK
Posts: 6357
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 am

I can't imagine what question you couldn't get via google, that a random lawyer from a firm with like 2000 lawyers can answer.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:53 am

Danger Zone wrote:They make you wear a suit

the horror


Not really. OP PM me with Qs.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:35 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:They make you wear a suit

the horror


Not really. OP PM me with Qs.

New York office? Yes

This is a little outdated but fuck that place for even writing this email: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/its-the- ... ress-code/

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:They make you wear a suit

the horror


Not really. OP PM me with Qs.

New York office? Yes

This is a little outdated but fuck that place for even writing this email: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/its-the- ... ress-code/


I don't work in NYC, at my office I'm more likely to have my chops busted about wearing a suit/tie than the other way around. To quote the NYC associate who I just IM'd :"Fri is business casual, summer is business casual, rest of the week is whatever you can get away with..." The more senior you are the more you take liberties, though plenty of people wear a suit M-Th.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.