Jones Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if JD gives a salary advance for people moving across country in order to secure an apartment, or is it just the travel stipend?

You will get a bar stipend (either 10k or a month's salary, I forget which). You'll either have to make do with that or borrow more while (if) you can.


Same anon...I meant an SA advance. I have friends at other firms who got one so they could get housing taken care of.
Oh, I don't think so. I subletted and the person didn't make me pay a security deposit; the firm paid for the flight. The bigger expense I had was to bulk up on my wardrobe so I wasn't alternating between suit A/suit B.

You could always give recruiting a call. The worst they can say is "sorry, we don't do that." Good luck.


Thanks. I may just borrow against my retirement account since I think I need to come up with some cash in advanced. Thanks again for the reply.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm

How many suits do you think I'll need to survive the summer... currently have 2 (though they need to be taken in a bit). My sense of things was that it was a bit more formal of an environment that other firms.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm

homestyle28 wrote:How many suits do you think I'll need to survive the summer... currently have 2 (though they need to be taken in a bit). My sense of things was that it was a bit more formal of an environment that other firms.

Thoughts?

I had 4, but 3 should do. If you only have 2, when one is in the cleaners, you are stuck with the other one every day. Considering my propensity for spilling, that wasn't a good plan.

The firm as a whole is more formal than most. But that doesn't mean you need a closet full of Hugo Boss or Versace. Jos A Banks has frequent sales and are decent (enough) quality. Just make sure the fabric isn't shiny, is a business color (navy, gray (not black for men)) and that it fits decently. Plain white or blue shirt unless/until you know what you're doing. I would bring at least 5 ties so you don't have to repeat during the week. No one will likely notice, but I just don't like repeating.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:How many suits do you think I'll need to survive the summer... currently have 2 (though they need to be taken in a bit). My sense of things was that it was a bit more formal of an environment that other firms.

Thoughts?

I had 4, but 3 should do. If you only have 2, when one is in the cleaners, you are stuck with the other one every day. Considering my propensity for spilling, that wasn't a good plan.

The firm as a whole is more formal than most. But that doesn't mean you need a closet full of Hugo Boss or Versace. Jos A Banks has frequent sales and are decent (enough) quality. Just make sure the fabric isn't shiny, is a business color (navy, gray (not black for men)) and that it fits decently. Plain white or blue shirt unless/until you know what you're doing. I would bring at least 5 ties so you don't have to repeat during the week. No one will likely notice, but I just don't like repeating.


Did you wear a suit everyday? Not a big deal, but would be good to know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Did you wear a suit everyday? Not a big deal, but would be good to know.
Yes. Though I hear the CA offices may not be as rigorous in enforcement--though as a summer, you don't want to rock the boat if that's where you are headed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ruski wrote:they're known to be of the firms that tend to work associates pretty hard (jones days nights and weekends). obv dont know really how accurate these reputations/stereotypes are, but that's the rep that jones day has.

just as anecdotal evidence, during my interview i def got the feel that they are pretty serious about bidness. the interviewer, a senior associate, told me he doesn't believe in working from home, and that when its 6pm he likes walking over to the first years desk and asking him something in person. this is the opposite of how most firms sell themselves, telling you how there is no face time policy or anything. again, this is just one guy there but still.


I know people who worked/currently work in both the NYC and DC offices and I've heard very positive things. They are more formal in DC (full suit everyday) but they are known for having a good culture. You will get paid less in bonuses due to their bonus payouts being a blackbox (the less transparent the bonus structure is, the less associates get paid according to my sources) but the quality of life at Jones Day is supposedly top notch. Despite getting comp'd a bit lower due to them not adhering to lock-step compensation the people I know say they would pick it over other firms.


This is great to hear.

I've heard that in the Atlanta office, people work like 60 hrs/week and make fun of the DC office for being "Jones Day and Night." How much more than 60 hours/week should someone expect to work as a first-third year associate in the DC office?


This is from way back on the first page, but this poster is incorrect. The top three firms for sweatshop reputation in Atlanta are Paul Hastings, JD, and K&S. Sources being people who work at the firms and spouses of people who work at those firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is from way back on the first page, but this poster is incorrect. The top three firms for sweatshop reputation in Atlanta are Paul Hastings, JD, and K&S. Sources being people who work at the firms and spouses of people who work at those firms.
Beware of anecdotal evidence. I'm a junior associate in DC and I don't get the sense that the hours are all that arduous. Yes, I've had some late nights and one all nighter (but that was largely because I screwed myself on a deadline). Last week for example, I rolled in between 9-9:30 each day and was here until 5:30, 5:45, 7:15, 6:45, 7:30. That's on the lighter side as my weeks go, but I'm rarely here past 7:00 unless there's a very good reason. Did a total of 4.5 hours from home over the week too.

Please note, my warning about taking the post above with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal applies equally to my own post. But I will say my friends do not appear to be routinely burning the midnight oil either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is from way back on the first page, but this poster is incorrect. The top three firms for sweatshop reputation in Atlanta are Paul Hastings, JD, and K&S. Sources being people who work at the firms and spouses of people who work at those firms.
Beware of anecdotal evidence. I'm a junior associate in DC and I don't get the sense that the hours are all that arduous. Yes, I've had some late nights and one all nighter (but that was largely because I screwed myself on a deadline). Last week for example, I rolled in between 9-9:30 each day and was here until 5:30, 5:45, 7:15, 6:45, 7:30. That's on the lighter side as my weeks go, but I'm rarely here past 7:00 unless there's a very good reason. Did a total of 4.5 hours from home over the week too.

Please note, my warning about taking the post above with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal applies equally to my own post. But I will say my friends do not appear to be routinely burning the midnight oil either.


The Chicago office is a ghost town after 6 most nights

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is from way back on the first page, but this poster is incorrect. The top three firms for sweatshop reputation in Atlanta are Paul Hastings, JD, and K&S. Sources being people who work at the firms and spouses of people who work at those firms.
Beware of anecdotal evidence. I'm a junior associate in DC and I don't get the sense that the hours are all that arduous. Yes, I've had some late nights and one all nighter (but that was largely because I screwed myself on a deadline). Last week for example, I rolled in between 9-9:30 each day and was here until 5:30, 5:45, 7:15, 6:45, 7:30. That's on the lighter side as my weeks go, but I'm rarely here past 7:00 unless there's a very good reason. Did a total of 4.5 hours from home over the week too.

Please note, my warning about taking the post above with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal applies equally to my own post. But I will say my friends do not appear to be routinely burning the midnight oil either.


I summered at Jones Day, and I quickly came to realize that the whole "days nights and weekends" thing is more of a clever play on words than a reflection of reality. Do people sometimes need to stay late and work long hours? Of course, but that is standard for big firms, and no worse at Jones Day than anywhere else. Also, it largely depends on practice group. I have a 1st year friend in my target practice group who said, in his first 8 months with the firm, he has only come in one single Saturday, and that the partner who asked him to come in was profusely apologetic (but this is labor and employment, so that extra humanity and empathy may be atypical).

From pretty much everyone I've spoken with at Jones Day, they all say quality of life at the firm is as good as you could possibly ask for in a big law firm.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is from way back on the first page, but this poster is incorrect. The top three firms for sweatshop reputation in Atlanta are Paul Hastings, JD, and K&S. Sources being people who work at the firms and spouses of people who work at those firms.
Beware of anecdotal evidence. I'm a junior associate in DC and I don't get the sense that the hours are all that arduous. Yes, I've had some late nights and one all nighter (but that was largely because I screwed myself on a deadline). Last week for example, I rolled in between 9-9:30 each day and was here until 5:30, 5:45, 7:15, 6:45, 7:30. That's on the lighter side as my weeks go, but I'm rarely here past 7:00 unless there's a very good reason. Did a total of 4.5 hours from home over the week too.

Please note, my warning about taking the post above with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal applies equally to my own post. But I will say my friends do not appear to be routinely burning the midnight oil either.


I summered at Jones Day, and I quickly came to realize that the whole "days nights and weekends" thing is more of a clever play on words than a reflection of reality. Do people sometimes need to stay late and work long hours? Of course, but that is standard for big firms, and no worse at Jones Day than anywhere else. Also, it largely depends on practice group. I have a 1st year friend in my target practice group who said, in his first 8 months with the firm, he has only come in one single Saturday, and that the partner who asked him to come in was profusely apologetic (but this is labor and employment, so that extra humanity and empathy may be atypical).

From pretty much everyone I've spoken with at Jones Day, they all say quality of life at the firm is as good as you could possibly ask for in a big law firm.


thanks for the insight. Based on what you observed, what were the typical hours for associates?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 pm

^^^

In the NY office, I'd say people typically filtered out in the 6-6:30 range. I stayed past 7 a few times, and it was largely empty. I also came in once on a Saturday and didn't see a single person (aside from the attorney I was working with that day). As for starting time, most people come around 9:30. I would get there at 9, and usually be among the first people in on my floor.

Of course, if a trial is coming up, or a closing is approaching, the above goes out the window and people are there all hours. But thats obviously the exception.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:32 am

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is from way back on the first page, but this poster is incorrect. The top three firms for sweatshop reputation in Atlanta are Paul Hastings, JD, and K&S. Sources being people who work at the firms and spouses of people who work at those firms.
Beware of anecdotal evidence. I'm a junior associate in DC and I don't get the sense that the hours are all that arduous. Yes, I've had some late nights and one all nighter (but that was largely because I screwed myself on a deadline). Last week for example, I rolled in between 9-9:30 each day and was here until 5:30, 5:45, 7:15, 6:45, 7:30. That's on the lighter side as my weeks go, but I'm rarely here past 7:00 unless there's a very good reason. Did a total of 4.5 hours from home over the week too.

Please note, my warning about taking the post above with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal applies equally to my own post. But I will say my friends do not appear to be routinely burning the midnight oil either.


I summered at Jones Day, and I quickly came to realize that the whole "days nights and weekends" thing is more of a clever play on words than a reflection of reality. Do people sometimes need to stay late and work long hours? Of course, but that is standard for big firms, and no worse at Jones Day than anywhere else. Also, it largely depends on practice group. I have a 1st year friend in my target practice group who said, in his first 8 months with the firm, he has only come in one single Saturday, and that the partner who asked him to come in was profusely apologetic (but this is labor and employment, so that extra humanity and empathy may be atypical).

From pretty much everyone I've spoken with at Jones Day, they all say quality of life at the firm is as good as you could possibly ask for in a big law firm.


thanks for the insight. Based on what you observed, what were the typical hours for associates?


It's still a 2000 billable firm, it just doesn't have much of a facetime requirement. In my office there's not really a typical schedule b/c people do their own things, especially after the first year. I know of associates who stay until 7 most nights to avoid weekend work. I know another who is in around 9 and leaves at 4:30 b/c he lives out in the burbs and wants to be home for breakfast and dinner with his family.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Can anyone speak to quality of life for litigation in NYC? Is it realistic to be in the office for 50 hours a week and do the rest at home?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Does anyone know offer rate from last summer for NYC?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know offer rate from last summer for NYC?


100%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:59 am

DC had a 100% offer rate last summer too.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC had a 100% offer rate last summer too.


Pretty sure all the major market offices had 100%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Does anybody have any insight on whether the offices vary in their selectivity? I imagine the Cleveland/Columbus markets would be less selective grade-wise than New York/DC/Atlanta?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have any insight on whether the offices vary in their selectivity? I imagine the Cleveland/Columbus markets would be less selective grade-wise than New York/DC/Atlanta?

I don't have any hard data, but outside DC I think all the offices have similar standards. I think DC sticks to the rep for most DC offices in that it's very competitive. The difference with Columbus/Cleveland is that kids from osu and case have a better shot b/c of strong geographic ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 pm

I know someone JD Columbus top 10% at M.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:54 am

How is the summer going for you other JD people?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:59 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have any insight on whether the offices vary in their selectivity? I imagine the Cleveland/Columbus markets would be less selective grade-wise than New York/DC/Atlanta?

I don't have any hard data, but outside DC I think all the offices have similar standards. I think DC sticks to the rep for most DC offices in that it's very competitive. The difference with Columbus/Cleveland is that kids from osu and case have a better shot b/c of strong geographic ties.

And even then, there is no hard cut-off in DC. Firm-wide, fit is more important than GPA or school prestige though they all are part of the whole pkg.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 am

As a current summer at a big office (NY/DC/Cleveland etc.) just want to chime in on a few things because this thread was really useful when I was deciding and everything I've seen is that it is accurate:
-I do think Jones Day focuses on fit. At the D.C. summer event a couple weeks ago, it was clear that there is a certain personality type shared by summer associates and attorneys across the firm. The firm seems to attract people who are team players, not excessively selfish/driven solely to achieve individual glory, and who believe in and embrace the firm emphasis on group success and serving the client.
-the summer program (at least in my office) has been surprisingly more like what I imagine work as a 1st year will be. I get in 9-930am and a lot of days am working until 7pm sometimes as late as 8/830pm. A lot of other summers have kept similar hours, but not all. Mind you, this is completely by my own choosing--I've taken on a lot of projects to get experience and in order to meet the deadlines I need to work a couple extra hours. At JD while there is definitely a fair share of wining and dining (lunches, dinners, events) there is less of a smokescreen about what life at the firm entails. People have been open about working part of weekends, working evenings from home, etc. I like that about the firm because I don't get the feeling it's a bait and switch.
-my experience has been the "one firm worldwide" motto is absolutely real. There is a lot of inter-office work, and meeting summers and associates from other offices there is a genuine sense that we are part of a shared enterprise. This is great because while I am an introvert and comfortable with legal work that is often solitary, it is such a boost to have genuinely positive interactions with other attorneys/summer associates regarding work that we are collaborating on.
-overall, I feel like Jones Day is a great firm. I was at another firm 1L summer and while I liked it, I do think the eat-what-you-kill compensation model creates more animosity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to how easy it is to lateral to other offices within the firm? Say, if I summered in a secondary market but wanted to transition to NYC/DC/Another secondary city after graduation?


It seems to be pretty common, but I wouldn't say it's something you can bank on. From what I know it'll depend primarily on what practice group you're interested in and to a lesser extend why you want to transfer. If you want lit or M&A (or some other practice that is decent sized in all offices) it'll probably work out fine. Even though matters really are staffed across offices, my sense is that some attention is still paid to geography. As to the reason, I've only heard of cases where it was approved and the reasons varied a little, but all mainly had to do with SOs.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.