Jones Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard two stories about SAs getting no-offered. I don't know if they were both 2011 but they were both recent.

1. An SA who split the summer between DC and anther JD office. First half in DC went well and then the SA somehow seriously pissed off a partner at the second office. I don't know how exactly but it was related to attitude/maturity etc.

2. Second SA's work product (writing) was just subpar: typos, subject-verb agreement, grammar, etc. The issue was identified to the SA and was not fixed over the course of the summer. I heard it described as being clear that the SA just couldn't do the work.

As a side note, we were encouraged to have our mentors look at our work before submitting it to help us put our best foot forward. I really don't see an issue like this arising out of the blue.

HTH.

This sounds plausible for the two 2011 no offers. I was genuinely shocked at each no offer but a) I don't know what happened with second JD office and b) never saw work product from the other. Seemed to have a grip on things, but who knows.

All summer, they told us there were offers for all who earned them and it seemed sincere every time. For the few years prior to 2011, the offer rate was 100% (save from one infamous SA who we heard stories about. Lying to the hiring partner is not a recommended path to an offer).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Any word from NYC? Been almost two weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from NYC? Been almost two weeks.


I had an offer there and recently had to turn it down. Not sure how many more they are handing out though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Any news from Boston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Boston?


offer from Boston about a week after CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from NYC? Been almost two weeks.


I had an offer there and recently had to turn it down. Not sure how many more they are handing out though.


Any more news lately? It's been almost a month and all I hear are crickets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Any other thoughts on the Cleveland office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word from NYC? Been almost two weeks.


I had an offer there and recently had to turn it down. Not sure how many more they are handing out though.


Any more news lately? It's been almost a month and all I hear are crickets.


I know one person who has been trying to decide for a few weeks just accepted today or yesterday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Any junior M&A associates around? If so, could you discuss what the experience has been like so far?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:08 pm

I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.


Office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.

Junior associate here. Don't know what office, but "brotastic" is about as far from my experience with my office and others I've worked closely with. And "borderline ethics decisions" I highly doubt. Part of the reason I like JD is it operates as a General Partnership which tends to cause people to behave better than their LLP peers.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.

Junior associate here. Don't know what office, but "brotastic" is about as far from my experience with my office and others I've worked closely with. And "borderline ethics decisions" I highly doubt. Part of the reason I like JD is it operates as a General Partnership which tends to cause people to behave better than their LLP peers.


I strongly doubt, as a junior associate in one office of a firm with many, many offices, you know a lot about offices that are not the one you work in. But that's just my intuition.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.

Junior associate here. Don't know what office, but "brotastic" is about as far from my experience with my office and others I've worked closely with. And "borderline ethics decisions" I highly doubt. Part of the reason I like JD is it operates as a General Partnership which tends to cause people to behave better than their LLP peers.


I strongly doubt, as a junior associate in one office of a firm with many, many offices, you know a lot about offices that are not the one you work in. But that's just my intuition.


While there are obvious limits of knowledge due to the sheer size of JD, I've gotten the sense that JD is better integrated than a lot of firms from office to office. One firm, worldwide and all that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.

Junior associate here. Don't know what office, but "brotastic" is about as far from my experience with my office and others I've worked closely with. And "borderline ethics decisions" I highly doubt. Part of the reason I like JD is it operates as a General Partnership which tends to cause people to behave better than their LLP peers.


I strongly doubt, as a junior associate in one office of a firm with many, many offices, you know a lot about offices that are not the one you work in. But that's just my intuition.

I didn't claim to know a lot. But I do know I've worked with and/or socialized with partners and associates from Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, DC, Houston, LA, NY, SF, SV. Even did work for a partner in Saudi. But sure, go with your speculation.

Homestyle is correct--One Firm Worldwide is more than just a slogan. But I can't know everyone, hence my original qualification.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.


Office?


I'll just say NYC/DC, since it's not first hand knowledge and I can't verify the veracity of it. but I will say that I personally believe this person. I'd also say that from my own experience, a single partner can make a huge difference in someone's experience and impression of a firm, if they work with that person frequently.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know a 2012 no-offer. Their side of the story (brotastic culture, borderline ethics decisions) made Jones Day come off in a negative light, which could be sour grapes. Then again, I would be really shocked if this person was just making up stories, so who knows.


Office?


I'll just say NYC/DC, since it's not first hand knowledge and I can't verify the veracity of it. but I will say that I personally believe this person. I'd also say that from my own experience, a single partner can make a huge difference in someone's experience and impression of a firm, if they work with that person frequently.


I was an SA in the DC office and didn't hear anything about this at all.

Why would you not want to say which office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 pm

NY SA here. Brotastic would be the last word I would use to describe the culture. Also, NY had a 100% offer rate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NY SA here. Brotastic would be the last word I would use to describe the culture. Also, NY had a 100% offer rate.


I am the above DC SA.

If NY had a 100% offer rate and it was either NY or DC, that leaves DC (I'm a genius I know).

I don't know of anyone who didn't get an offer in the DC office (though admittedly I haven't been able to confirm a 100% offer rate). I will say that "brotastic" couldn't be any further from my experience or from the feel of the summer class and office in general--I can only think of one maybe two SAs that would fit that description out of 26 or so and that made them the exception.

Superficialities aside, I can't imagine what kind of borderline ethical behavior the jilted SA could be referring to. Can you be more specific?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Also curious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 pm

How often do junior M&A associates travel?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How often do junior M&A associates travel?


Anyone?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Jones Day

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How often do junior M&A associates travel?


Anyone?


I don't really know if m&a is any different but the sense I got from Jr.lit associates at my cb that a part of the one firm worldwide thing was that you might travel more than other firms...people specifically talked about how easy it was to work out of other offices...their IT infrastructure is set up for it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Did anyone hear why the one DC SA was no-offered?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm an associate. Ask away




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.